Official HF.net 2018 Mock NHL Draft Order

pilldoc

34 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

First of all I would like to thank the entire NJ Devil fan base, all 500 of you,

That social media marketing campaign must be working.   That's about a 150% growth.

And thanks for getting Farabee off the board.  I was dreading having to consider him (and skip him) again at #19.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been tough a lot of times on HF for the :devils: 

to get much love. But I know they surprised 

some folks, myself included, by making the 

playoffs this year. They could be an up-and-coming 

team. Combine that with their uniforms which they 

hopefully make scarier like in days of old, and that 

stadium there may start packing out again soon. 

Shame on any "fans" who buy tickets only when 

a team's going gangbusters. 😈 

:redhockey: 

P.S. Shame on any NJ fans too who aren't telling Brodeur to 

knock it off with those lame Enterprise ads. :D  

2 minutes ago, More Hockey Stats said:

With the 18th pick the Columbus Blue Jackets are proud to select Rasmus Kapari!

Thank you for this.  It was going to be really hard for me to pass up Kupari twice.  Nice pick.

@More Hockey Stats

Nice pick and very much in line with the CBJ and their new found love for Euros. Jarmo Kekalainen has been leaning towards Europe since taking over the Jackets,  his scouting staff seems to favor the Euro players. Kind of the antithesis  of Don Cherry.

Ron Hextall strides to the podium again, and once again accompanied by a guest.

The Philadelphia Flyers would like to welcome to the podium the starting point guard and hopefully NBA Rookie of the Year candidate from the Philadelphia 76ers, Ben Simmons!

Simmons:  “Well, they said I could do this through my Twitter burner account, so here I am.   Hello Dallas!  Lebron, if you’re watching, you really need to move to Philadelphia so you can see this cat play.  You know you want to.  Do it!   With the 19th pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, the Philadelphia Flyers welcome from the Spokane Chiefs of the WHL, defenseman Ty Smith!

--

Let’s get a couple things out of the way:  I don’t think Ty Smith is still on the board at #19, but he is so why not? 

Second, I actually don’t think the Flyers use this pick.  I think one of two things happen:  First (and less likely), the Flyers package #14 and #19 to move up to #7-#10.  The second, more likely possibility, is the Flyers trade back with the #19 to the late 20s in an attempt to add a 3rd round pick (that they lost when they traded for Rent-a-Turd from Detroit).  

But if they do use both, I’d really like to see a forward and a defenseman in those picks.   The Flyers are likely to lose one of their kid defensemen to the Seattle expansion draft, so now is as good a time as any to stock the shelves.   In a world where Ty Smith isn’t available, I’d have picked Rasmus Sundin.  Very similar in many ways to Ty Smith.

2018-06-12 (1).png

@thenewestlights and the Los Angeles Kings have the floor!

Sorry kids, believe it or not, that took me three times.   The third time I had to type it into MS Word and slide it over.  It's not the site, it's my browser.

By the way, do yourselves all a favor and don't add the Grammarly extension. It's screwed up my browser and my computer.

@ruxpin really I have the Grammarly extension installed on my Chrome Browser. What issue is it causing for you? My one complaint is it keeps wanting to add commas where there probably shouldn't be but otherwise I haven't really noticed any issues. 

1 minute ago, bbgarnett said:

@ruxpin really I have the Grammarly extension installed on my Chrome Browser. What issue is it causing for you? My one complaint is it keeps wanting to add commas where there probably shouldn't be but otherwise I haven't really noticed any issues. 

Well, functionally it's okay.   I mean, once I got it to stop using British English, it was fine.   I use the Oxford comma myself, so the comma thing doesn't bother me.   For instant spell check and grammar check I actually kind of like it.

It is killing my Chrome.  Especially when I have several tabs open, it sends Chrome into a memory-eating machine and it takes over the CPU and the disc memory.  So, ultimately, the lag spreads from just the browser to the entire PC as Chrome chews up RAM.   It takes at least 30 seconds for any click to result in anything.    I'm not sure why what I typed in the comment box on this site disappeared.  I'm not quite understanding why the above issue would cause that other than it caused the page/tab to refresh and made me lose everything.

So, I'm also running an AV scan and will do some diagnostics, but for the moment since I killed Grammarly it's running a lot smoother.

Just now, bbgarnett said:

@ruxpin hmm yeah that's weird but hopefully it get's fixed

It's going to get fixed one way or the other.  Either I get the memory/disk thing under control (superfetch is also causing issues) or I use the computer for field goal practice.

• ruxpin locked and unlocked this topic

Thank you, Ruxpin;

and thank you, Pilldoc... 

"We need a left winger!" 

No one who was there in the break-room at LA King headquarters that fateful day will forget the upheaval which followed that innocent and accurate outburst. Without considering context politically opposed employees--Libertarians, Democrats, Republicans, Greens, and Independents--converged on the break-room, knocking over a loaded piping-hot crock pot and a would-have-been-delicious deli tray, to begin a shouting and shoving fracas. 

A professional female almost-robot-like voice called out over the intercom: 

Rob Blake to the break-room, please; Mr. Rob Blake, please go to the break-room. You're needed there--again! 

The :kings: legend burst onto the scene, pushed employees to various corners, and reminded them--robustly--that the comment was about both the NHL and HockeyForums.net drafts! He could be heard muttering "I thought I left this kind of crap back in the '90s" as he kicked a stack of cold-cuts out into the adjoining hallway and exited. 

:hockey1: 

So with that--because of this prospect's skills, his made-for-hockey name, and because Grigori Denisenko may be an operative and / or hothead: the LA Kings are pleased to draft 

Blade Jenkins from Saginaw in the OHL 

Bauer World Invite: Sights and Sounds from Chicago

! 

Everyone in LA's not only excited about this kid's OHL rookie season--but they're pumped they could be the professional organization that gets him into a much-better-looking uniform! 

According to Mike G. Morreale: 

"Jenkins (6-1, 195) had a solid rookie season in the OHL with 44 points (20 goals, 24 assists) and 140 shots on goal in 68 games for the Spirit. He's an effective passer, has good hockey sense and competes, and can play physical when needed. Jenkins is at his best when keeping things simple, fighting for rebounds and deflections in the slot.

King players have expressed enthusiasm about the physical aspect to Blade's game. Jake Muzzin commented: 

"We take a fairly simple approach to the physical side of things here in Los Angeles: In any game against Anaheim that's gone for more than a couple minutes, you just start swinging at the nearest Duck. I think Jenkins would fit right in." 

I see this pick working a couple different ways for the Kings. Blade [<--so fun to write!] could progress soon and perhaps provide the missing playoff-offense ingredient if LA's contending again. I could also see this chap as a bargaining chip in a trade to get a more seasoned offensive threat on board now to strike before any possible Doughty departure makes the iron less hot. It does seem it's been on the left side where the Kings need the biggest offensive boost.  

Blake in Action: 

[some slick shots here!] 

and Jenkins' first hat trick in the OHL !

Ladies and gentlemen, blokes and sheilas, homettes and homies... 

please get the applause party started 

🎬 👏

for @More Hockey Stats' SJ pick! 

23 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

the LA Kings are pleased to draft 

Blade Jenkins from Saginaw in the OHL 

Wow, that's a sneaky pick.   Some have him early 2nd round, but I think that's largely because the kid is only 17.   I like this.   Are you figuring middle six?

EDIT:  Gotta figure if this kid is a month or two younger he doesn't draft until next year and then probably top 15.   In a world where you can trade picks, if I'm the Kings I trade back to Detroit's pick or somewhere in that range, shag a 3rd rounder, grab my left winger, and call it a win.

I like it.

OK...it is 6 or 7 picks away from last Hawks selection. Have to leave for work in an hour, SOOOO...if and when it gets to me sometime tonight, this sucker will have to be shut down until I get home from work in the morning. If it has actually got to me in draft pick order, I'll make my pick around 7am in the morning. Best I can do guys, just giving you some heads up. 

37 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Wow, that's a sneaky pick.   Some have him early 2nd round, but I think that's largely because the kid is only 17.   I like this.   Are you figuring middle six?

EDIT:  Gotta figure if this kid is a month or two younger he doesn't draft until next year and then probably top 15.   In a world where you can trade picks, if I'm the Kings I trade back to Detroit's pick or somewhere in that range, shag a 3rd rounder, grab my left winger, and call it a win.

I like it.

Cheers! 

I just got a feeling as I studied him, watched his game, considered his situation, and compared him to a couple players rated higher--that this guy may be a better prospect than he's currently rated. 

I get that scenario you propose there. I think the Kings may serve themselves well by picking Blade Jenkins and trading up for another go at the Cup this year. No use waiting to see how Doughty goes. Without some great draft picks and / or quality trades this year or next, I don't see this King core having too many more shots at the Cup. But of course I must speculate because Robitaille has gotten worse and worse at texting me back over the years. 

:) 

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

OK...it is 6 or 7 picks away from last Hawks selection. Have to leave for work in an hour, SOOOO...if and when it gets to me sometime tonight, this sucker will have to be shut down until I get home from work in the morning. If it has actually got to me in draft pick order, I'll make my pick around 7am in the morning. Best I can do guys, just giving you some heads up. 

No worries here! Have a good night! 

:toast: 

6 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

Cheers! 

I just got a feeling as I studied him, watched his game, considered his situation, and compared him to a couple players rated higher--that this guy may be a better prospect than he's currently rated. 

I get that scenario you propose there. I think the Kings may serve themselves well by picking Blade Jenkins and trading up for another go at the Cup this year. No use waiting to see how Doughty goes. Without some great draft picks and / or quality trades this year or next, I don't see this King core having too many more shots at the Cup. But of course I must speculate because Robitaille has gotten worse and worse at texting me back over the years. 

:) 

The Kings REALLY need Valardi to be the real deal (he is, sure of it), Kempe to continue to develop and the now often injured Jeff Carter to have a big year and stay on the ice. Not a lot of offensive depth there, Kopitar is playing with Brown and Iffalo, who are not chopped liver, but not really top line material either. The top 6 needs youth injection, and it can't come soon enough. At least they know if they get to the dance, Quick at least has the stuff to take them late into the night. 

13 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

You're 7 away.  And I'm sorry but waiting until morning is entirely unacceptable.  I suggest you call your employer right now and explain the situation.  I'm sure they'll understand.

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

The Kings REALLY need Valardi to be the real deal (he is, sure of it), Kempe to continue to develop and the now often injured Jeff Carter to have a big year and stay on the ice. Not a lot of offensive depth there, Kopitar is playing with Brown and Iffalo, who are not chopped liver, but not really top line material either. The top 6 needs youth injection, and it can't come soon enough. At least they know if they get to the dance, Quick at least has the stuff to take them late into the night. 

I tend to agree in most places. Methinks Brown showed in his return to great form this past season that he certainly can be top-line material. Jenkins could prove a surprise and be that injection in a year or two. But the Kings really had no excuses for how they performed in the playoffs. They were competitive against, scored on, and beat the Knights in the regular season. Quick's usually fantastic, tends to become extra special in the postseason (as he was this last one), but the Kings just didn't deliver. They had the pieces to do so, as they already showed in Carter's regular-season return, but they just didn't. Inexcusable for a veteran team to go MIA on offense and get bounced in four games. 

I hope Doughty keeps his mouth shut about Vegas and other teams this next season, focuses on speaking with his game, getting the boys back on track to threaten for some :stanleycup: so they're not sippin sorrow 🥤on the golf course early again. 

/dream on/

Doug Wilson starts moving to the stage only to find Hasso Plattner already there.

'Ein', says Hasso, 'Doug Wilson and Tim Burke are fired.'

'Zwei', ...

/dream off/

So, the Sharks actually would like to draft a ... goalie.

Jones is 28, Dell is 29. High time to draft someone who might be ready to step in after 4-5 years. But this draft hasn't a Samsonov in it.

So, instead the Sharks will look to fill the void Mikkel Boedker creates on the wing of Tomas Hertl and Logan Couture.

With their 21st pick of the 2018 NHL Draft the San Jose Sharks are proud to select Martin Kaut of the Czech Republic. 

Hopefully Hertl will be able to provide mentorship and inspiration for the young talent.

Archived