LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2018-2019

21 minutes ago, hf101 said:

It's good to see this kid dominate but he needs to be playing in the KHL and doing this as a 20 year old in the russian version of juniors is not as impressive to me.

Time to up the competition level.

In my opinion this should be expected.

Regardless the Flyers are sitting pretty in the goaltender situation with Sandstrom coming over next year.

Ersson more than likely getting one more year in the SHL.

This kid needs to step up to the KHL i think to take the next step. I guess if not this year then maybe to start next year full time.

Time to up the level of competition for Kirill.

Ersson can't till he comes over and Sandstrom will take the next step next and maybe starts that this year once the SHL season is over i am sure he will come over and join the Phantoms with Hart and Lyon to push deep in the AHL playoffs.

46 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This kid needs to step up to the KHL i think to take the next step. I guess if not this year then maybe to start next year full time.

Yesterday, Fletcher made it sound like he wanted to get Ustimenko over here for next season. I don't know if that means in the AHL or ECHL? I would guess AHL, but then we have too many goalies with Lyon, Sandstrom, Stolarz, and Hart.

Of course, this is assuming they resign Stolarz. 

1 minute ago, brelic said:

Yesterday, Fletcher made it sound like he wanted to get Ustimenko over here for next season. I don't know if that means in the AHL or ECHL? I would guess AHL, but then we have too many goalies with Lyon, Sandstrom, Stolarz, and Hart.

HHHHHhhhhhhmmmmmm that could be interesting i must say for the Phantoms to have Sandstrom and Ustimenko both in goal.

I wouldn't be against it Sandstrom could start and Usti start getting his feet wet in the north american style. Not a bad idea.

The kid needs to certainly up the competition and the KHL i think is a step below the AHL now a days.

The KHL just doesn't have the firepower it use to a few years back. In fact i think the SHL is a better league than the KHL now.

Just look at the Capital's Samsonov dominating the KHL and after he has come over he has struggled to play at that level in the AHL.

It takes some time for some of these guys to adjust to the size and speed difference....and some never do. 

So yeah by all means bring the kid over. That however will more than likely end the Flyer careers of one of or both Stolie and Lyon.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wouldn't be against it Sandstrom could start and Usti start getting his feet wet in the north american style. Not a bad idea.

No need to pencil it in that way. It's whoever actually plays better on the ice. In the end, we'd have two legitimate prospects in the AHL..... can you remember the last time that actually happened for the Flyers??

Thank you Ron.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So yeah by all means bring the kid over. That however will more than likely end the Flyer careers of one of or both Stolie and Lyon.

Probably. But in all honesty, I would feel confident in letting them go that they're not 'under the radar' prospects that will go on and dominate on some other team. We've seen them at the NHL level. They're in their mid-20s. I just don't think they are starting goalies in the NHL.

It's hard to say which I would keep... Stolarz has the size, but Lyon has the better AHL numbers. Their NHL numbers are a wash.

What about Hart/Lyon in the NHL and Sandstrom/Ustimenko in the A?

Lyon seems like a good, supportive teammate. Smart, introspective. A lot like Hart in some ways.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

No need to pencil it in that way. It's whoever actually plays better on the ice.

Sure but i am confident Sandstrom will take the lead in net. It won't be handed to him he will win it. You have a kid who will be 23 next year battling a kid turning 21. It will work itself out i ain't even worried about it. But the Flyers have never had two guys like that battle in net in the AHL.

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

I would feel confident in letting them go that they're not 'under the radar' prospects that will go on and dominate on some other team.

I would be too. I think it would be nice for Hart to have an Anderson type to lean on behind him than a Stolie or Lyon who themselves are still trying to establish themselves in the NHL. But if Stolie takes this chance and runs with it and plays well to finish the season i would feel more confident in having him take the backup spot next year. So these results will matter and i am sure the Flyer brass too will be watching this heading up to the deadline.

The results come be the difference from them making a move then or just waiting till the end of the season or just going with Hart and one of the guys already in the system. Guess we'll know soon.

43 minutes ago, brelic said:

can you remember the last time that actually happened for the Flyers??

And just imagine when you add these guys to them:

Frost

Allison

Laczynski 

Ratcliffe

Strome

Sushko

And you might add Rubtsov and Laberge to that too since they both missed this year and should be healthy by the start of next season.

That is going to be a hell of a lot of firepower.

They could also add Kalynuk and Cates to that too. Not sure if they sign or head back to college again. I think both return i think right now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

After reading the scouting reports of all the top prospects, something tells me that if the Flyers fall out of the top 3 and end up with a pick at 4, 5 or 6, Matthew Boldy will be the player they select. It just seems like an organizational fit with him. Good size, great wheels, soft hands, plays a full 200 foot game and has incredible hockey IQ. He's Farabee, but with better size.

Thanks for the post.  I’ll check him out

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/csn/flyers/Flyers_prospect_Joel_Farabee_following_in_the_footsteps_of_James_van_Riemsdyk_PHI-505198182.html

Obviously this article doesn't delve deeper because if it did, the writer would have noted that Farabee actually attends a school with a noted hockey program that has developed several quality and bonafide NHL players. Boston University has a reputation. As for JVR, he went to UNH, which didn't have a great hockey program and he ended up developing bad habits from there. He was a first round pick that the school catered to and allowed him to get away with bad habits.

Farabee will be a far superior player to JVR. Farabee's work ethic alone separates him from Van Useless. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind returning Varone and trying Justin Bailey with Vorobyev and Raffl.

He has 4 goals and 2 assist in 7 games with the Phantoms. Would be a bad idea to give the 4th line some more size.

18 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/csn/flyers/Flyers_prospect_Joel_Farabee_following_in_the_footsteps_of_James_van_Riemsdyk_PHI-505198182.html

Obviously this article doesn't delve deeper because if it did, the writer would have noted that Farabee actually attends a school with a noted hockey program that has developed several quality and bonafide NHL players. Boston University has a reputation. As for JVR, he went to UNH, which didn't have a great hockey program and he ended up developing bad habits from there. He was a first round pick that the school catered to and allowed him to get away with bad habits.

Farabee will be a far superior player to JVR. Farabee's work ethic alone separates him from Van Useless. 

Or he could have noted that Farabee plays with heart and determination while JVR plays like he'd rather be having a bubble bath and sipping candy floss wine spritzer. 

56 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wonder if the Flyer brass talks Joel into leaving college after this year?? Or wait one more year?

I see him leaving early, whether its next year or the one after. Kid plays with too much passion...hockey runs through his veins.

18 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I see him leaving early, whether its next year or the one after. Kid plays with too much passion...hockey runs through his veins.

Kid already has a nasty NHL shot he let's that wrister go quickly.

The best of it though is that he is deadly accurate and the Flyers sorely need a sniper.

I'm thinking one more year and he will be ready.

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Kid already has a nasty NHL shot he let's that wrister go quickly.

The best of it though is that he is deadly accurate and the Flyers sorely need a sniper.

I'm thinking one more year and he will be ready.

When he and Frost are ready its going to add a lot of speed and skill up front. They both play bigger than their size to boot.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:42 AM, brelic said:

Well, the good news is that Hart is probably on the big club for good and Stolarz will more than likely be the back up. You're looking at 50/30 split between the two. As for Lyon, I'm all but certain he's moved to another organization to get a chance. That leaves Sandstrom, which means Felix and Kirill battle it out in Lehigh Valley. The AHL is the perfect place for those two to battle it out and hopefully when a new coaching staff is in place in Philadelphia, a new coaching staff will be in place in Lehigh Valley, especially a coaching staff that focuses on what the big club is doing and the system they play, while developing the young guys.

If we thought things were messy now, just wait until Ersson arrives. Great problem to have. 

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

When he and Frost are ready its going to add a lot of speed and skill up front. They both play bigger than their size to boot.

Frost and Farabee have also grown since their draft day as well. I was reading that Frost is 6'1, 190 pounds now and Farabee is 6'1, 180 pounds. 

29 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Frost and Farabee have also grown since their draft day as well. I was reading that Frost is 6'1, 190 pounds now and Farabee is 6'1, 180 pounds. 

i saw Frost here against the Colts 2 weeks ago...he used to look small out there...now he just looks like another player. So ya, I'd say he's around there.

5 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Well, the good news is that Hart is probably on the big club for good and Stolarz will more than likely be the back up. You're looking at 50/30 split between the two. 

You’re missing 20%.  Do you lose it in the exchange rate?  😂

• Haha 1