LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2018-2019

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

LWer, no? That's what he played when I've seen him.

Really good player but skating isn't his best asset.

He's a right winger with a left shot, but can play the left side as well. As for his skating, he's no burner, but he's certainly no slouch either. His skating is deceptive. First step acceleration isn't the strongest, but he gets up to speed quickly. A little bit of leg work will be required, but the skating is easily corrected. I like that he's still 17, only turns 18 a few days before the draft and has some skill and snarl to his game. He's also a shooter, something the Flyers desperately need.

Wow Phantoms are really struggling and are in danger of not making the playoffs.

They got crunched  last night 4-0 by the Crunch.

Lyon gave up 3 goals on 24 shots. Gave up 3 5 0n 5 goals and an empty netter.

Phantoms are sitting 12th out of 16 teams in the East.

I see ol Cocaine Cowboy was an awesome -3.....dude even sucks in the AHL.

It would have been nice for some of the kids coming in when their seasons are over to get some playoff experience in the AHL.

That is pretty much not going to happen now it seems. Ok it's not over they are 5 points outside the last spot with a game in hand.

It is just not with Varone, Knight, Morin and Myers up them are just missing some key pieces.

They have a chance still but they have to start winning.

Lehigh Valley is a great example of what happens when you don't have a succession plan in place. We're seeing the team fall through the cracks and the team is being exposed for how poorly they've done in terms of player development. This is why the Flyers really need to hire new coaching staffs in both Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley that has a focus on player development and system structure. I can't wait until they start cutting dead weight and begin to fix this mess.The players aren't the problem - the lack of structure and development is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Lehigh Valley is a great example of what happens when you don't have a succession plan in place. We're seeing the team fall through the cracks and the team is being exposed for how poorly they've done in terms of player development. This is why the Flyers really need to hire new coaching staffs in both Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley that has a focus on player development and system structure. I can't wait until they start cutting dead weight and begin to fix this mess.The players aren't the problem - the lack of structure and development is.

A nice influx of talent arriving by next year will help in this manner....however the whole coaching staffs on both clubs need a clean sweep and reboot.

I hope and pray it starts this offseason. One system, one plan. Implement this and then it will be just the need to execute it. Do this and the winning ways will return quickly.

Hell of a find before Hextall left...but truly the credit has to go to his scouts...

In 55 games he has 10 goals and 41 assists for 51 points. Not bad for an undrafted free agent.

For comparison's sake Myers, after he was found and signed to an entry level contract he put up in 63 games 17 goals 28 assist for 45 points. 

So it's one more year of junior for the kid next year.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

Good to see the Phantoms bounce back and win a game 3-1 over Utica.

Mckenna stopped 38 of 39 shots. Carey score 2 goals and Bailey got the other one.

Goulbourne was pissed after Bailey was shoved into the boards after the empty net goal. Goul wanted em all!!!!

On 3/2/2019 at 8:41 AM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

He's a right winger with a left shot, but can play the left side as well. As for his skating, he's no burner, but he's certainly no slouch either. His skating is deceptive. First step acceleration isn't the strongest, but he gets up to speed quickly. A little bit of leg work will be required, but the skating is easily corrected. I like that he's still 17, only turns 18 a few days before the draft and has some skill and snarl to his game. He's also a shooter, something the Flyers desperately need.

I'd only seen him a few times but he was playing the left side each time. Ya, I wouldn't call his skating bad or anything, he's just not quick. Great shot though, as you said. Putting up some very good points as a 17 year old...50 g..closing in on 100 points. Impressive for someone who hasn't been drafted yet.

What do you think of Suzuki? The guy shows flashes of brilliance...but not all the time.(check his goal from last night)  He seems to me like a guy who may turn into a steal later on in the 1st. 

Edited by flyercanuck

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd only seen him a few times but he was playing the left side each time. Ya, I wouldn't call his skating bad or anything, he's just not quick. Great shot though, as you said. Putting up some very good points as a 17 year old...50 g..closing in on 100 points. Impressive for someone who hasn't been drafted yet.

What do you think of Suzuki? The guy shows flashes of brilliance...but not all the time.(check his goal from last night)  He seems to me like a guy who may turn into a steal later on in the 1st. 

I like Suzuki. He's faster than his older brother Nick and plays on a bad team in Barrie and is putting up real solid numbers. 

He's a Frost-like player and you can never have enough talent like that. Suzuki is also 6'0, 170 pounds, so there's still some growth to him. If he tops out at 6'1, 6'2 and 190 pounds, perfect. Especially when you factor in the speed.

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16

I think this kid will eventually make someone expendable...guess we'll see when he arrives in a year or two...

I think he will get to about 6-4 215 eventually when he fills out.

4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I like Suzuki. He's faster than his older brother Nick and plays on a bad team in Barrie and is putting up real solid numbers. 

He's a Frost-like player and you can never have enough talent like that. Suzuki is also 6'0, 170 pounds, so there's still some growth to him. If he tops out at 6'1, 6'2 and 190 pounds, perfect. Especially when you factor in the speed.

I go to a lot of Colts games. He's dropped a lot in the draft from where I thought he'd go at the start of the season...but he shows a lot of potential. Plus Barrie is rebuilding and he's carrying most of the load.

19 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think this kid will eventually make someone expendable...guess we'll see when he arrives in a year or two...

I think he will get to about 6-4 215 eventually when he fills out.

Might help soften the blow from losing a defenseman in the expansion draft.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, brelic said:

We can fault Hexy for a number of things, but his staff's ability to find and draft talented players was truly remarkable. We obviously don't know how they'll all pan out, but it does appear like an embarrassment of riches in lower leagues if nothing else. Let's hope whatever scouting staff was involved in all that is kept and allowed to continue their work.

37 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yeah i really hate the rule where junior teams get the kid back and the team who owns his rights can't assign hi where they think he sure play. I think he could benefit by playing in LV next year but he'll have to go back to juniors. I just wish the team has an option.

Not that big a deal as long as he continues to trend upwards.

Strange that SHL prospects don't have the same right...they can come over early and their entry level contracts get to slide for a year or two. 

Phantoms beat WBS Pens 3-1 last night.

Guess who got his first AHL goal.

LehighValleyPhantoms (@LVPhantoms) Tweeted:
Last night, #LVPhantoms forward Pascal Laberge (@pascallaberge) scored the first goal of his professional career! Here’s to many more, Pascal! 🚨 https://t.co/8skF5YQzg5 https://twitter.com/LVPhantoms/status/1103724111237402625?s=17

Which was the game winner.

• Like 1

Since Veccihone hasn't got much of a chance with the Flyers do they have a chance of signing any of the top college free agents?

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2019/3/7/18194739/2019-top-ncaa-nhl-free-agents

Thoughts.

I think they should try to lure some for some depth on the Phantoms at least on defense.

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Since Veccihone hasn't got much of a chance with the Flyers do they have a chance of signing any of the top college free agents?

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2019/3/7/18194739/2019-top-ncaa-nhl-free-agents

Thoughts.

I think they should try to lure some for some depth on the Phantoms at least on defense.

I'm not sure the Flyers need any more defenders, especially if Hogberg and Bernhardt come over and Kalynuk leaves college. Add in Friedman, Willcox, Brennan, De Haas, etc....and the Flyers have enough defenders. And just think, after next year, it's possible that Ginning, St. Ivany, and Wylie will more than likely be onboard. 

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm not sure the Flyers need any more defenders, especially if Hogberg and Bernhardt come over and Kalynuk leaves college. Add in Friedman, Willcox, Brennan, De Haas, etc....and the Flyers have enough defenders. And just think, after next year, it's possible that Ginning, St. Ivany, and Wylie will more than likely be onboard. 

I don't know if those guys are coming over or not. But Friedman will be subject to waivers next year his entry level is up.

De Haas it might be time to move on from.

You can never have too many prospects.

I think Kalnyuk stays in school.

They should be getting Wylie though to help.

42 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Now with a limited view of that it depends a lot on if this was a check that rode up his arms into his face or a check straight to the face with the latter one being much much worse....i would like to see the whole play before i pass judgement but it could be bad for him and cost him the scoring title in the OHL now.

With two goals tonight, Isaac Ratcliffe has hit the 50-goal mark for the season! #OHL

Isaac Ratcliffe collected three points (2g, 1a) in Guelph's 5-2 win tonight. Tomorrow will be his final regular season game. #OHL