LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2018-2019

Ok, so I thought Saturday night was the Morgan Frost Show...guess I was wrong. Yesterday Frost scored FIVE goals including a shortie, a PP,  even strength, the game winner and an empty netter. He's got 17 points in 6 games since the WJs and now sits 3rd in scoring. The 2 guys in front of him have played 8 and 9 games more.

• Like 1

An interesting paragraph from Bill Meltzer in his blog today.   Good times to come... :biggrin:

While junior success is not necessarily a predictor of a player's NHL future, it is statistically worth noting that Frost had 112 points in his draft-plus-one season but was bypassed for Team Canada in the WJC. This year, he is a 1.97 points-per-game pace in the OHL after leading all players at the WJC in points-per-game. Flyers captain Claude Giroux, in his draft-plus-one QMJHL season with the Gatineau Olympiques, had 112 points but was bypassed for Team Canada at the WJC. The next year, he averaged 1.93 points per game in the regular season. 

25 minutes ago, hf101 said:

An interesting paragraph from Bill Meltzer in his blog today.   Good times to come... :biggrin:

Interesting. I know it doesn't mean anything when it comes to their NHL careers...but quite the coincidence. But I'm pretty confident Frost is going to have at least a decent NHL career. He's everything you want in todays NHLer.

Frost doesn't look small out there anymore either. I'd guess he's 6 feet and close to 190

• Like 1

Speaking of great prospects...Harts save % keeps climbing after a rough start....there's only 10 NHL goalies with better numbers who've played more games than him. Also in 12 starts he's been 1st star 3 times, 2nd 1 and 3rd 2

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Frost doesn't look small out there anymore either. I'd guess he's 6 feet and close to 190

Yep.   Since the average height and weight keep dropping he's basically about there.

2018-19 average height in the NHL is 6'1.05" , and the average weight is 199.54lbs. 

a pretty good read on the subject.  https://www.nhl.com/news/sunday-long-read-nhl-players-adapting-to-faster-league-with-weight-loss-better-nutrition/c-304065402

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok, so I thought Saturday night was the Morgan Frost Show...guess I was wrong. Yesterday Frost scored FIVE goals including a shortie, a PP,  even strength, the game winner and an empty netter. He's got 17 points in 6 games since the WJs and now sits 3rd in scoring. The 2 guys in front of him have played 8 and 9 games more.

Wow. Impressive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Speaking of great prospects...Harts save % keeps climbing after a rough start....there's only 10 NHL goalies with better numbers who've played more games than him. Also in 12 starts he's been 1st star 3 times, 2nd 1 and 3rd 2

I am hoping his success will give the front office the mind set to not do anything stupid like going out and trying to get "selfish Bob" to come to Philly.

Just find Hart a nice vet to back him up.

Stay away from Bobrovsky who actually has worse numbers than Hart and is on a better team.

Bob 2.91 904%

Hart 2.66 918%

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am hoping his success will give the front office the mind set to not do anything stupid like going out and trying to get "selfish Bob" to come to Philly.

Just find Hart a nice vet to back him up.

Stay away from Bobrovsky who actually has worse numbers than Hart and is on a better team.

Bob 2.91 904%

Hart 2.66 918%

Do you honestly think it's a fair comparison between a 20 year old kid with 12 games of NHL experience and a two-time Vezina winner?

I would consider Bob on a contract that is 4 years or less. 

The major hesitation I would have is that Bob is still a bonafide starter. They would be platooning as long as both are playing well, but the likelihood right now is that Bob is more consistent than Hart over the next few years and starts the majority of the games. 

On the other hand, a 'nice vet to back him up' is fine if Hart doesn't fall on rough patches, but that's an unrealistic expectation. So that vet needs to be very good on his own merit.

I think there are a bunch of decent options out there in free agency.

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

Do you honestly think it's a fair comparison between a 20 year old kid with 12 games of NHL experience and a two-time Vezina winner?

Fair or not it's all i have to go on. 

Bob has already been benched this year for his attitude and when he was in Philly he had an attitude issue and was the one who went to management and wanted a trade and wasn't happy being behind Bryz. So yeah i on't want any part of that guy.

And what has Bob done since he left??? Neuvy has more playoff wins than him.

Hart needs to play and i imagine will only get better the more he plays the fact that he has those types of numbers with this team in front of him is impressive.

12 minutes ago, brelic said:

I would consider Bob on a contract that is 4 years or less. 

Hell no he would taint the Flyers locker room and he is already being a spoiled brat in Columbus.

Combine that with the fact from reports he is seeking 11 mill per....HELL NO stay the f**k away from that guy.

He is not what Philly needs....and it must tell you something when Columbus doesn't have any other good options and they would still move on from him....must be a red flag why would they do that?

Let's stick with nurturing Hart and grooming him for the role he looks suited for even at this young age.

Find another vet option.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hart needs to play and i imagine will only get better the more he plays the fact that he has those types of numbers with this team in front of him is impressive.

That's what we all hope will happen - but Ghost sagged considerably after his magical season. Provorov looks downright terrible after a wonderful rookie season and a dominant second year. Patrick sometimes gives the impression he wants to play, and other times, like he doesn't want to play. Konecny has struggled at times, Sanheim, Lindblom. 

If Hart never struggles at all, then that's the exception to the rule and we'll all be giddy for it. But all I'm suggesting is that the Flyers would be wise to find someone who is actually quite good and capable of being a starter for stretches where Hart struggles. 

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

That's what we all hope will happen - but Ghost sagged considerably after his magical season. Provorov looks downright terrible after a wonderful rookie season and a dominant second year. Patrick sometimes gives the impression he wants to play, and other times, like he doesn't want to play. Konecny has struggled at times, Sanheim, Lindblom. 

If Hart never struggles at all, then that's the exception to the rule and we'll all be giddy for it. But all I'm suggesting is that the Flyers would be wise to find someone who is actually quite good and capable of being a starter for stretches where Hart struggles. 

I am not expecting Hart to never struggle that is why having a good vet behind him is key....it's what i want.

What i am saying is Bob is NOT that dude. Find another option.

Hell i would just rather bring Elliott back for that before bringing Bob in to show him the way. I just want no part of him.

Let some other club over pay for a goalie who comes up small in the playoffs.

It's all i am saying. I expect a total coaching change come the offseason. I feel Hart and his future will be in good hands. I pray.