Paul Holmgren Saved My Life? - Nick Boynton

King Knut

17 hours ago, King Knut said:

Anyone catch this:

https://www.flyersnation.net/nick-boynton-paul-holmgren-saved-my-life/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This was definitely during the Richards and Carter time frame, but it would tend to contradict the narrative that Holmgren shipped them out because of the Partying.

It also shows a stark contrast as to how Lombardi handled Richards' Oxy problem.

Oxy BTW, isn't really good for getting you high, it's mostly good for stopping something that hurts from hurting quite so bad.  It's not wonderful at that either in my experience, but the problem is what it's best at is making you need more Oxy.  

I'll also point out that while it saved his life, Boynton never played NHL hockey again.  

As much as we as Flyers fans were pissed at Holmgren when he was a GM it sounds like he and the Flyers helped Boynton when other teams Boynton played for never did, so kudos to Holmgren and Flyers organization. Interesting read!

1 hour ago, Lindbergh31 said:

As much as we as Flyers fans were pissed at Holmgren when he was a GM it sounds like he and the Flyers helped Boynton when other teams Boynton played for never did, so kudos to Holmgren and Flyers organization. Interesting read!

This is why the Richards and Carter rumors never added up to me.  So many assume they were shipped out because of their substance abuse issues and how that was affecting their games.

The Richards Oxy incident lent further credence to this narrative, but it never made sense to me and in light of the Boynton situation (a guy who had been with the team a few weeks or so at that point) the popular narrative makes even less sense. 

All of which leads me back to the Homer had a series of Strokes narrative.  Makes a lot more sense to me ;)

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

To all my friends on here who have lost friends and loved ones due to narcotic misuse and abuse all I can say is that I am truly sorry for your loss. :(

Part of this statement is true and part of it is not.  While it is true that medical providers were prescribing these medications like candy, some of the blame can be switched the patients and our healthcare society in general.  It has been my experience that patients want what they want, what they want..  There is is a definite role in narcotic medications for acute pain such as post op pain and those patients who have chronic pain due to such disabling conditions such as Cancer or Sickle Cell.  Patients who feel that there pain is not well controlled, for a myriad of reasons which is to great to go into depth here, go what we term is doctor shopping.  We need a better healthcare system in tracking these patients.  We as healthcare providers need to do a better job identifying which patients would benefit from narcotics and those who do not.  The 45 year weekend athlete who over did it while playing at the company softball game does not need hydrocodone, oxycodone, or tramadol for their pulled muscles.  However, the bicyclist who had a bike accident and now has a hip fracture will benefit greatly from short term use of oxycodone for breakthrough pain from having undergone a hip endoprosthesis.

One also has to remember that back in the 90's and early 2000's, the AMA added pain as a 5th important vital sign.  When one goes to the hospital, the MD's and RN's were constantly asking for a pain score rating base on a scale of 0-10.  0=no pain while 10 = most severe pain.  This too is inexact.  What you may rate as a 4, someone else may rate as a 7 or 8.  Providers are taught to manage pain and not to chase after it.

Recently there have been major strides at the way we handle post-op pain at our hospital.  With new post op pain management

strategies, which we call ERAS (Enhanced Recovery After Surgery), the goal is to use as little narcotic as possible post operatively.

It is true these strategies were not in place 20 years ago and our society as whole is paying the price.  We need better ways of preventing doctor shopping and polypharmacy. (using multiple pharmacies).  The state of PA is doing a better job at this when we instituted a state wide data base for tracking narcotic prescribing and patient usage.  This is a start but we need to do better.  Unfortunately there are MD's out there with a very low moral duty and will indiscriminately prescribe the medications for money.

Although a good idea, this will not really solve the problem and at times will be very impracticable.  Prior Auth's take time with lots of paper work necessary.  In an acute situation, this simply will not work.  Prior Auth's can take days or weeks for approval,  If you make all narcotics a Prior Auth, you WILL  over load the system.  For example do you really want to force your child to wait several days for a medication that contains hydrocodone for their several cough? (yes .. in small amounts, hydrocodone is an excellent anti-tussive)

Though in principle it is a very good idea, however, the practical side, and with my 30+ years working in the healthcare field, suggests this will not work.

What does work is for those patients who need chronic pain control, enter in to what is called a narcotic contract with their provider.  This contract states that the patient will only visit a certain provider or group practice.  Breaking this contract can result in being dismissed from the provider.

One also cannot ignore the illegal street dealings of narcotics.  I have read that brand name Oxy is going for $50 or more per tablet on the street.

I can type here for hours, if I had the time, relaying my thoughts and opinions on this subject.  I get the POV of all parties involved, from the patient to the healthcare provider.  There are no easy or right answers in solving this healthcare crisis.

I definitely appreciate your input here as many of us can only speculate and finger point, but in the end it's the people in the trenches that are going to know far more than the rest of us. I speak out of confusion and anger, but in the end; the user is the one doing it to themselves for the most part. I hardly believe the "I didn't know that I would get addicted" camp any longer, but I also think far more scrutiny needs to be placed on physicians that over prescribe.

As someone who had the delight (insert sarcasm font) of dealing with a PA for medication, I can say that yes that my previous post  was a little bit of a stretch. I have had a few surgeries in the past and if I needed a PA to get a five day script for Percocet, I would have went nuts. Where my confusion lies, is with the long term users. Do their docs take labs that can identify abuse, not a drug test per se, but something? Or at the least  test for elevated liver enzyme markers to get the big picture if there is liver damage?  

Not to be vague, but we are on the internet after all... Anyhow, I take a medication 2x a month that required a lot of leg work on my end to get approved. This is not a narcotic, nor is it anything that has the potential to abuse, but it is expensive. Very expensive. Therefore, my insurance company likes to put on their latex suit and slap me around before granting my PA. So I can see how crazy it would be for someone to have to go through that for a minimal supply of pain meds. The one thing though is my entire healthcare team is very active in my treatment. They have very candid conversations with me and expect me to very honest with them. They almost remind me of having four mothers. They are that on top of me. The thing is, I really appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. I wish that people in chronic pain were treated with the same respect and dignity. Just a thought.  However, this seemed to work:

Image result for just say no

2 hours ago, Bertmega said:

Narcotic painkillers do not treat the underlining problem, only mask them.

Exactly.

All it does is block the nerve receptors.

The body then just grows more nerve endings to combat this therefore creating more nerve endings that need to be blocked hince needing more medication to do so.

I too have lost friends and family to this. 

It is the main reason i don't take anything right now and i am about to be 47.

I try to take care of my body workout and eat right (as best i can so i don't get to the point where i need meds). It's about all i can do at this point.

My wife on the other hand is the opposite anytime she has a sniffle or an ache she is trying to take something.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

All it does is block the nerve receptors.

The body then just grows more nerve endings to combat this therefore creating more nerve endings that need to be blocked hince needing more medication to do so.

That is interesting. I never knew that.

@pilldoc 

Thanks for all the great info and taking the time to explain everything to us.  It's nice to have someone explain all the nuances so we have a better understanding.  

A great 'drug mind' AND a great 'hockey mind', who knew 😉

Archived