Play Pick'em Daily Read more... ×

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
Sign in to follow this  
jammer2

The state of the Blues goaltending

Posted (edited)

Just saw an outrageous rumor that had Jake Allen going to Buffalo for Robin Lehner. If that was straight up, the Blues GM's needs to go NOW!!   I would imagine there would be picks and or prospects going the other way if it did happen. Then, I started thinking, who would inevitably take over for Lehner?  I realized I knew nothing about the Blues goalie prospects, so I set out to rectify that. 

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

In 2016, the Blues used their 2nd round pick on goalie Fitzpatrick. That's a pretty steep investment for a goalie. I guess he has played ok....but the 2014 4th rounder Ville Husso has surpassed him. IF the Allen trade happened, one of these two would probably back up Lehner. One thing we know for sure, 32 year old back up Carter Hutton will go UFA, so he is out of the picture, leaving back up wide open, no matter who the starter is. 

Edited by jammer2

7 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Just saw an outrageous rumor that had Jake Allen going to Buffalo for Robin Lehner.

HAHA  i just posted that a couple hours ago and Rick got mad and thought i made it up and was just trying to make him mad.

Andhere you go with the same rumor. Too funny. Buffalo Rick will be here soon in 3, 2, 1.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

HAHA  i just posted that a couple hours ago and Rick got mad and thought i made it up and was just trying to make him mad.

Andhere you go with the same rumor. Too funny. Buffalo Rick will be here soon in 3, 2, 1.........

I do think Allen is a tad overrated, but if the Sabres are done tanking....LOL, they might wanna get a real starter. 

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

I do think Allen is a tad overrated, but if the Sabres are done tanking....LOL, they might wanna get a real starter. 

Scroll back in the shoutbox to 2:35 and see my post...

...seems like a legit swap maybe....can't hurt right.....what else they going to do???

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Scroll back in the shoutbox to 2:35 and see my post...

...seems like a legit swap maybe....can't hurt right.....what else they going to do???

I dunno, Lehner is a bum in my eyes. He did have the CRAPPY Sabres defense in front of him....but Allen for Lehner and a 1st in my books. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I dunno, Lehner is a bum in my eyes. He did have the CRAPPY Sabres defense in front of him....but Allen for Lehner and a 1st in my books. 

Honestly, it's crap for crap.  I agree with your assessment of Lehner.  I thought that when he was still with Ottawa.  But...does he do better behind St. Louis than Buffalo (not better than Buffalo + Dahlin.  Better than what he's had)?  Maybe.  I'm suspicious, but maybe.

But here's the thing:   Allen, in my opinion, is no better and arguably worse.  He did have St. Louis in  front of him and was simply horrible.  He's been horrible.  I don't see him getting better in St. Louis and it would be beyond entertaining to see his Keystone Kops act in Buffalo (except that now he should have Dahlin).  

I think they're both crap, but in this trade it's Lehner that at least has the opportunity to get marginally better.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Honestly, it's crap for crap.  I agree with your assessment of Lehner.  I thought that when he was still with Ottawa.  But...does he do better behind St. Louis than Buffalo (not better than Buffalo + Dahlin.  Better than what he's had)?  Maybe.  I'm suspicious, but maybe.

But here's the thing:   Allen, in my opinion, is no better and arguably worse.  He did have St. Louis in  front of him and was simply horrible.  He's been horrible.  I don't see him getting better in St. Louis and it would be beyond entertaining to see his Keystone Kops act in Buffalo (except that now he should have Dahlin).  

I think they're both crap, but in this trade it's Lehner that at least has the opportunity to get marginally better.

I owned Allen for a brief moment in NAHANA, dealt him away to MD pretty quick. Agreed, on a defensive minded Blues team (esp under Hitch) he should have been much better. He would go on torrid winning steaks and just as horrid losing streaks as well. Allen is substantially better than Lehner, who is not really an NHL goalie in my books. 

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

I owned Allen for a brief moment in NAHANA, dealt him away to MD pretty quick. Agreed, on a defensive minded Blues team (esp under Hitch) he should have been much better. He would go on torrid winning steaks and just as horrid losing streaks as well. Allen is substantially better than Lehner, who is not really an NHL goalie in my books. 

Yep.  I remember.  I saw him sitting there for probably two days.  I wish I'd have taken him but I didn't want him and didn't like  it (he got hot later that season).  It was unfortunately before I grew into my "grab and flip" mentality.  I forget who  you got now, but you made out ridiculously well for someone you had for all of 3 days.

Anyway, maybe a change does good for Allen.  I think Armstrong went out of his way to destroy him.   I do think they're actually comparable.  Lehner actually has a better career save % than Allen (it's neglible.  .915 to .913).  There's a big difference in GAA between Lehner and Allen with Allen's being not good but better at 2.47 to Lehner's 2.82 (2.77 in Buffalo).  Some of that can be attributed to horrible team defense in Buffalo.  But not all of it.

Yeah, I agree Allen is better (I would never trade Allen for Lehner in fantasy, although that changes if that trade happens). But it's really variations of stink.

I have watched a lot more of Lehner because he is in the East and because invariably he always seems to become my third goalie in fantasy, lol. Every damn year.

I don't hate him, truthfully he battles and has a feisty side, I like him more than Allen. Buffalo has had an awful defense in front of him and St. Louis always stresses defense first so I think he would put up better numbers in St. Louis than Allen would in the same town.

Allen, I see him as Jimmy Howard lite. That is not a compliment.

Awards

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I have watched a lot more of Lehner because he is in the East and because invariably he always seems to become my third goalie in fantasy, lol. Every damn year.

I don't hate him, truthfully he battles and has a feisty side, I like him more than Allen. Buffalo has had an awful defense in front of him and St. Louis always stresses defense first so I think he would put up better numbers in St. Louis than Allen would in the same town.

Allen, I see him as Jimmy Howard lite. That is not a compliment.

That's actually a good comparison.  And yeah, it's not a compliment.

The rest is, yeah, basically what I'm thinking.  I don't think it's a huge improvement for either team.  Really just a crap swap, but Lehner does have the possibility of improving behind a better team.