UFA goaltenders

Seeing how the Flyers need a upgrade in goal over Neuvrith, here's a list of UFA goalies that will be available this summer (former team in brackets):

Anton Knudobin, (Bos)

Chad Johnson (Buff)

Cam Ward (Carolina)

Jonathan Bernier (Colo)

Andrew Hammond (Colo)

Kari Lehtonen (Dall)

Jaroslav Halak (NYI)

Ondrej Pavelec, (NYR)

Petr Mrazek (Phil-eventhough he's an RFA I can't see Hexie qualifying him)

Carter Hutton (STL)

Just wondering everybody's thoughts on who you'd like to see Hexie possibly sign to replace Neuvrith.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You either overpay for Hammond or you get someone else for us to be bitching about all year.  

Khudobin might not be a bad settlement.  Not likely to command a huge contract, but decent while safely non earthshattering numbers.  

He might even sign for 2 years...  which is probably what I'd want.  

What to do with the rest of the goalies depends on too many undetermined variables.

Is Stolarz's knee healed?  

Is Sandstrom going to make a play for the NHL and will he earn a spot?

If neither of those happen, I keep Neuvirth on the roster as the 23rd man (they never use that spot anyway) to practice and sit in the press box.  He can eat up practice time that kills Elliott.

If either of these happen , I trade or bury Neuvirth in the ECHL and see if anyone claims him (they won't) and do the above 3rd goalie option with Stolarz or Sandstrom (if Stolarz is waiver exempt that is, which I don't have time to look up).  If it's Sandstrom, I don't know if I bother with Knudobin.  

Then I sign whoever (Knudobin let's say) who platoons with Elliott with Stolarz on the official roster.  

Most likely Sandstrom goes back to sweden and we can third man Stolarz with a new signing backing up elliott.  Bury Neuvirth or trade him for whatever yo can.  

1 hour ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Just wondering everybody's thoughts on who you'd like to see Hexie possibly sign to replace Neuvrith.

None of the above. It's not that I wouldn't mind an upgrade in net, it's just that these aren't upgrades.

1 hour ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Seeing how the Flyers need a upgrade in goal over Neuvrith, here's a list of UFA goalies that will be available this summer (former team in brackets):

Anton Knudobin, (Bos)

Chad Johnson (Buff)

Cam Ward (Carolina)

Jonathan Bernier (Colo)

Andrew Hammond (Colo)

Kari Lehtonen (Dall)

Jaroslav Halak (NYI)

Ondrej Pavelec, (NYR)

Carter Hutton (STL)

Trade Neuvirth for a 5-6th round pick and let Lyon play.  We have too many goalies and not enough spaces for them to play.  I'd rather see what Lyon has this season then pick up one of the above goalies.  If he pans out, he can take starts away from Elliott and maybe start next year.  If not, you let him walk or trade him for a low pick (if he signs more than a 1 year deal).

2 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Carter Hutton (STL)

I would sign Hutton to push Elliott for a year.

Not sure if he can beat him out, however if he can Elliott would be a good backup i think he may even be more effective with less play.

And if he can't i think Hutton would be a good backup for the remainder of the year.

Worst case Elliott/Hutton/Lyon battle for the starter's spot.

Regardless Elliott or Hutton could be traded at the deadline too if the other one shows they can earn a spot the following year.

Or let it ride the rest of the year and Elliott and Hutton both walk and Flyers go looking again.

Biggest point being is you are not going to get much better than this unless Hextall can pull off a trade for one...

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

Is Sandstrom going to make a play for the NHL and will he earn a spot?

Sandstrom is signed for next year in the SHL so he won't be an option i think unless it's a emergency type one.

30 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sandstrom is signed for next year in the SHL so he won't be an option i think unless it's a emergency type one.

I thought the Flyers still had the option to claim him for the year, but they’d have to put him in the NHL, the phantoms isn’t an option... something like that?

23 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I thought the Flyers still had the option to claim him for the year, but they’d have to put him in the NHL, the phantoms isn’t an option... something like that?

No his entry level deal will start counting down next year but he will be in the SHL and will more less be on loan for a year to that team.

On 6/15/2018 at 2:07 PM, Lindbergh31 said:

Anton Knudobin, (Bos)

Chad Johnson (Buff)

Cam Ward (Carolina)

Jonathan Bernier (Colo)

Andrew Hammond (Colo)

Kari Lehtonen (Dall)

Jaroslav Halak (NYI)

Ondrej Pavelec, (NYR)

Carter Hutton (STL)

On 6/15/2018 at 3:42 PM, AJgoal said:

None of the above. It's not that I wouldn't mind an upgrade in net, it's just that these aren't upgrades.

Exactly this. It makes no sense to me to sign any of the list above. May as well just keep our current mess and save the effort. I wonder if the list will be better next year?

The sad truth is that good goalies are tied up long term until they're just not so good anymore. Khudobin was a decent back up for some time. Same with Hutton and Lehtonen. Ward continues to live off one amazing playoff run. Hammond's regular season is similar. Bernier never panned out, and I'm not sure he ever graduated high school. Pavalec and Mrazek are not NHL goalies.

Halak was probably the best of the whole list in his prime, but he's far from that now. None of those guys are much of an upgrade unfortunately.

I realize none of that is me offering a solution to the problem. I really wish I had one.

Where is the Holtby / Grubauer situation? No one has any idea if Grubauer could play on a non-stacked team, but maybe he should be given a shot? At least there's potential there.

What do we have that Washington might want? Simmonds is too much for an unproven goalie. They're losing at least one dman this year. Gudas and a third? MacDonald with retained salary and a third?

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Exactly this. It makes no sense to me to sign any of the list above. May as well just keep our current mess and save the effort. I wonder if the list will be better next year?

The sad truth is that good goalies are tied up long term until they're just not so good anymore. Khudobin was a decent back up for some time. Same with Hutton and Lehtonen. Ward continues to live off one amazing playoff run. Hammond's regular season is similar. Bernier never panned out, and I'm not sure he ever graduated high school. Pavalec and Mrazek are not NHL goalies.

Halak was probably the best of the whole list in his prime, but he's far from that now. None of those guys are much of an upgrade unfortunately.

I realize none of that is me offering a solution to the problem. I really wish I had one.

Where is the Holtby / Grubauer situation? No one has any idea if Grubauer could play on a non-stacked team, but maybe he should be given a shot? At least there's potential there.

What do we have that Washington might want? Simmonds is too much for an unproven goalie. They're losing at least one dman this year. Gudas and a third? MacDonald with retained salary and a third?

Spoiler alert is that I think Hextall agrees with you and I can't blame him.  The only reason to do anything (and If I did, I'd do Khudobin or Bernier) is just to have a guy who will actually be able to play 60 full minutes before getting hurt so Mason doesn't have to play like the entire month of December again.

Of course the problem is if you pull the trigger, how the hell do you get Hakstol to play ball with how he plays these guys?

Long story short, I still believe the best option for the Flyers is a Goalie Triangle with Elliott and Stolarz (if his knee's good, Lyon if it's not) with Neuvirth in the press box and playing heavy practice minutes  for Elliott.  Neuvirth just can't be trusted to be even a backup anymore, and they never use the 23rd roster spot for anyone.  Just play it safe.  

Next Year, Sandstrom / Hart.  

I honestly don't know how to fix the goaltending. No matter how one slices it, it's a mess. At this point, Elliott was no better than Steve Mason was. Neuvirth is an injury prone mess, Lyon was flaky and Mrazek was nothing short of awful. It's clear Elliott's going nowhere and Hart is ear marked for Lehigh Valley. I still think that at some point, Jonathan Bernier coming to the Flyers just makes way too much sense, especially when you consider his history with Hextall, Lombardi, and Dillabaugh. It just makes too much sense. He and Elliott split the duties and if Elliott gets hurt, you know you've got a reliable backup that won't get hurt if you fart in his direction. 

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Jonathan Bernier coming to the Flyers just makes way too much sense, especially when you consider his history with Hextall, Lombardi, and Dillabaugh. It just makes too much sense. He and Elliott split the duties and if Elliott gets hurt, you know you've got a reliable backup that won't get hurt if you fart in his direction. 

That's fine, but he wasn't the healthiest this past season, so don't fart too hard. 

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Even if it's BOGO???

LOL, even if it's BOGO.

He basically won me a fantasy hockey season championship a few years ago.  The clock struck 12 and he went back to being an ECHL goalie.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:07 PM, Lindbergh31 said:

Anton Knudobin, (Bos)

Chad Johnson (Buff)

Cam Ward (Carolina)

Jonathan Bernier (Colo)

Andrew Hammond (Colo)

Kari Lehtonen (Dall)

Jaroslav Halak (NYI)

Ondrej Pavelec, (NYR)

Carter Hutton (STL)

Who is the worst choice on this list?? Then that will be the goalie for the flyers. :) History repeats itself

On 6/20/2018 at 3:13 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

At this point, Elliott was no better than Steve Mason was. Neuvirth is an injury prone mess, Lyon was flaky and Mrazek was nothing short of awful.

Lyon was Flaky?  can you explain what you meant by that?

I basically thought he was a rookie and played like a rookie.  His stint with the Flyers was key in his development, and we saw improvement in his confidence in net especially during the Phantoms playoffs.

14 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Lyon was Flaky?  can you explain what you meant by that?

I basically thought he was a rookie and played like a rookie.  His stint with the Flyers was key in his development, and we saw improvement in his confidence in net especially during the Phantoms playoffs.

Perhaps he just meant shaky.  That's kind.

His play after he went back down and through the playoffs makes me want to give him another look, but when based on his entire Phantoms career before he came up and his really unimpressive time up I would have said (and did) when he went back down, "he's not an NHL goalie."     I want to see him maintain what he did at the end of last year.  If he shows something in camp and pre-season, then okay.  But until then, even Hammond got hot.

18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Perhaps he just meant shaky.  That's kind.

His play after he went back down and through the playoffs makes me want to give him another look, but when based on his entire Phantoms career before he came up and his really unimpressive time up I would have said (and did) when he went back down, "he's not an NHL goalie."     I want to see him maintain what he did at the end of last year.  If he shows something in camp and pre-season, then okay.  But until then, even Hammond got hot.

I think he will get another look.  IMO, the backup position is Neuvirth's to lose in camp.  And Lyons could win it.  Unless the Flyers trade Neuvirth for another goalie I really don't see them signing one of the above just to take ice-time away from another in the system.

4 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I think he will get another look.

I think he should.  But that's a  180° change in opinion from when he went down.   What I cannot believe is that Neuvirth hasn't already, once and forever, lost the backup position.   What does it take, Instagram bullying?

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:49 PM, ruxpin said:
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:13 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Jonathan Bernier coming to the Flyers just makes way too much sense, especially when you consider his history with Hextall, Lombardi, and Dillabaugh. It just makes too much sense. He and Elliott split the duties and if Elliott gets hurt, you know you've got a reliable backup that won't get hurt if you fart in his direction. 

That's fine, but he wasn't the healthiest this past season, so don't fart too hard. 

Up until last year he was generally healthy with no major issues that I can recall.  I think last year was an anomaly for him.

• Oct. 2017 - Upper Body Injury vs. Sharks
  • Feb. 2018 - Head Injury missed 10 games
  • March 2018 - another head injury
  • March 2018 - infection missed several games
  • April 2018 - Game #4 playoffs - lower body injury vs. Preds.

I would still kick the tires on Bernier personally.  He is a reliable back-up and the best on this list.  If Hexy wants him then he better move fast as the Hawks are also interested.

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2018/6/26/17508124/blackhawks-interest-goaltender-jonathan-bernier-nhl-free-agency-rumors-2018

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I would still kick the tires on Bernier personally.  He is a reliable back-up and the best on this list.

Agree.  Last year's cap number for him is manageable.  He could come for less than that (his play/injuries didn't get him a raise, IMO), but the Isles and some others need goalie so that could drive the price up some.  I still go kick the tires.

Archived