Habs trade Alex Galchenyuk to Arizona for Max Domi

hf101

Interesting...

It seems this is an even trade as both organizations were disappointed in the seasons both Galchenyuk and Domi had last year.    I think I'd rather have Domi if I were to choose between the two.

Chayka on Galchenyuk: “He’s has success playing the center position. ... I don’t think we’d make this trade if we didn’t think he had the ability to play center.”

But I wonder if this preludes to the Canadiens taking Tkachuk at #3?

Wow.

You know, this could be one of those trades where it doesn't seem like a huge deal now, but some time down the road, people may look at a deal like this and say, "That was the turning point for this franchise!"

There is lots to like about BOTH players, so WHICH franchise ends up with that 'turning point' will be up in the air for a bit.

That said, I sorta am leaning towards the Coyotes on this one.

For a few seasons now, I've felt Arizona has had some pieces to play better than they have shown.

I gotta think that eventually, they are gonna get JUST the right mixture of players and personalities in there and finally start the upward movement I've felt they should have been on for the last, oh, I dunno, maybe two seasons?

Could very well be that Montreal brings out the best in Domi, but since I feel they are always 'MUST WIN NOW', their patience (and their prior handling of the guy they just traded) leaves me questioning how well they can turn Domi around.

This trade will be worth tracking come next season to see who really can get the most out of their respective underperforming player.

I really do like Galchenyuk's chances with the Yotes though...…. fresh start, low pressure atmosphere, defined role..... he should be licking his chops....rest is on him now....

So, out of Domi's 9 goals last year, 4 were empty-netters. What I don't know about the day-to-day operations of any these hockey teams greatly outweighs what I know, but from my seat in the stands, this is a terrible trade for Montreal; one more in a long line.

I don't get it at all.

Someone please explain to me how Bergevin still has a job.  I'm not sure who the bigger idiot is:  Bergevin for these annual ridiculously stupid trades, or Carey Price for signing on to waste his career in Moronville. 

Simply tragic. 

I actually thought that Domi was gonna be a breakout player and Chucky a bust last year. Half right.

Both needed a change, I get it, I actually don't mind the deal for either. Up until I read the quote by Chaayka about putting Galchenyuk back in the middle I thought that giving both players a shot to get it going, a new GM might let them do what they do well and all. After reading that I would say that I would pick Domi to have the better year next season.

48 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I actually thought that Domi was gonna be a breakout player and Chucky a bust last year. Half right.

Both needed a change, I get it, I actually don't mind the deal for either. Up until I read the quote by Chaayka about putting Galchenyuk back in the middle I thought that giving both players a shot to get it going, a new GM might let them do what they do well and all. After reading that I would say that I would pick Domi to have the better year next season.

I agree with what you said about Galchenyuk.   You'd think a GM would watch what went wrong in Montreal and not repeat it.  But no, Chaayka says, "that turned out so well, I think I'm going to do the same stupid thing!"

I'm not sold on Domi.  At all.    But the biggest thing is, what has been the Habs most obvious need for at least 2, if not 3, years running?  THEY NEED A CENTER.   So yet another trade and still no center.  It's mind-boggling. 

It's not just that I think Galchenyuk is a better player; I think he's a vastly better player.   That's more about how good I think Domi isn't. 

Trading for Domi, though, tells me that Montreal is not planning on drafting Zabina.  They either think Carolina will take Zabina and they're taking Svech, or they're picking Tkachuk over Zabina.

25 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I agree with what you said about Galchenyuk.   You'd think a GM would watch what went wrong in Montreal and not repeat it.  But no, Chaayka says, "that turned out so well, I think I'm going to do the same stupid thing!"

I'm not sold on Domi.  At all.    But the biggest thing is, what has been the Habs most obvious need for at least 2, if not 3, years running?  THEY NEED A CENTER.   So yet another trade and still no center.  It's mind-boggling. 

It's not just that I think Galchenyuk is a better player; I think he's a vastly better player.   That's more about how good I think Domi isn't. 

Trading for Domi, though, tells me that Montreal is not planning on drafting Zabina.  They either think Carolina will take Zabina and they're taking Svech, or they're picking Tkachuk over Zabina.

The worst gm in hockey and they still let him make trades? They gotta be aiming for Lefreniere next year.

Carolina has already introduced Svechnikov to STHs...they're not taking Zadina.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think their top line will be Chuck-Stepan-Keller....i think....unless they pull off another trade... 

No. I meant Montreal needs a center. 

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Maybe they trade down and take Kotkaniemi....naw, scratch that....that'd make sense.

They'll take Kotkaniemi. They just won't trade down for him.

16 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Seriously?  3.15M for nine goals, four of which were empty-netters.  lol

I really don't get it. It makes no logical sense, right? 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I really don't get it. It makes no logical sense, right? 

Nope,  at first there were reasonable Cap savings as Galchenyuk has 2 years left at $4.9M, but now that savings is less with signing Domi to a $3.1M two year contract.  It is still a saving, but one has to get some value too.  Galchenyuk has proven he can put up points on the 3rd line, Domi still is a question mark for his performance.

Maybe a change of teams is good for both players, but it is hard not to see this from the gate as a win for Chayka.

I really don't know what to make of this trade. This was a case of both players wearing out their respective welcomes with their respective clubs, so I don't know if their value was very high to begin with. Galchenyuk couldn't adjust to Julien's system and Domi just didn't fit what the Coyotes were trying to do. I don't know who won this trade. People might talk about Domi only scoring nine goals and four of them were empty net, but he also had 36 assists on a bad club. The biggest issue with Domi in Montreal is that they don't have any finishers, something similar to what plagued Domi in Arizona. As for Galchenyuk, if he's given a linemate who can get him the puck, he can bury it. I don't think the 30 goal season he had a few years back was an aberration, but for some reason he just couldn't build off it.

I think getting out of the limelight in Montreal will help Galchenyuk. As for Domi, he was used to media spotlight in London and I think he'll thrive in that kind of environment in Montreal and that Julien is the type of coach he responds to (I liken Dale Hunter a lot to Julien in that both run very tight ships in regards to who does what and what's expected of everyone). I think this could turn out to be a good deal for both clubs. 

Very odd trade all the way around. I *think* Arizona's long term plans are having Strome at 1C, Gally at 2C and Stephan at 3C. Problem being, Gals has already proven he is not a good C. Needless to say, this could throw some kinks in their plans....lol. I question the Yotes pro scouts here, where in the holy hell did they see a fit at C for him??  

Domi has more talent than 9 goals and 4 empty netters among them. The kid has nice moves and can skate. He was tried on the first line a few times, and it just did not work. He ended up on the 4th line playing with Zac Rinaldo and other variables.....not great for pt production, but he was on the 4th line because he did not click on the upper lines when given the chance. 

If ever 2 players needed a change of scenery, it's these two....but I suspect the results will be the same. The winner of this trade is the Habs, only because Domi will take up less cap space......and btw, 3.1 is a gross overpayment for what he has shown so far, a 1.5 per year prove it deal was warranted here. 

2 hours ago, intheslot said:

Clearing cap space for something bigger..????????

Seems like it, however, there was no reason or residence for giving Domi that much money.  Habs must be looking to add another center up front.

5 hours ago, hf101 said:

Seriously?  3.15M for nine goals, four of which were empty-netters.  lol

Well he did score 18 goals 52 points his first season...so i would have to say that is why they are hoping he returns to that form or better....it's all i got to try and understand this otherwise Bergevin is continuing his destruction...Ole Ole Ole.... 

In the best case, it will be a trade that doesn't change anything, but Montréal is clearly eligible to lose it.

To image that, Galchenyuk was like a beautiful toy in a nice package. Problem is, the Habs staff mishandled it, tried to fix it on their own, failed at it, but the toy itself also had some issues. For him, it's a good thing: he will be in an environment with no pressure, where he can definitely have a new start. Look at these other players who left Montréal: Eller, Smith-Pelly, Segachev, Andrighetto, Subban, etc. They all finish to be way better once they left.

For Max Domi, it doesn't look good. He will be on the bottom-6, will see his ice time decrease and play in a toxic environment with a ton of pressure. Absolutely not ideal if you want to start over. Montréal is not allowed to have another terrible season even if the roster will have the same face... Good luck for them and for Domi.

It's crazy that Bergevin is still in charge after litteraly dismantling this team. It's even more crazy that the scouting staff, Timmins first, is still in charge. But Price is the owner, Price decides everything in this organisation. As a Wild fan, I used to whine about the team management, trades, signings and scouting, but then when I see what the Habs a doing, it think that it's not so terrible after all.

Habs hold a master class in asset mismanagement

Not sure if you subscribe to the Athletic, but I'd highly recommend it.  Anyways, this is a great article that to me is a pretty accurate summation of how awful of a trade this was and how Montreal basically destroyed Galchenyuk's value and are quite possibly trading the exact player they needed to keep.  I think Galchenyuk is at his best at center,  the stats would indicate that.  Bergevin may have been a jokester as a player, but he's a complete joke as a GM.  

• 4 months later...

Archived