×
Jump to content
Play Pick'em Daily Read more... ×

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
hf101

Habs trade Alex Galchenyuk to Arizona for Max Domi

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Domi so far 8 games, 8 points. Galchenyuk injured, one game without points.

 

I know Bergerin's CV has been anything but great lately but looks like his sort of a gamble might pay off. Still early days though.

 

Yea, gotta go with the "still early" part......but can't ignore how well Domi has fit in so far with the Habs AND can't ignore that that Montreal has actually played pretty decently to start things off this year.

I think the main thing will be how well Max Domi adjusts to being a complete pro.
That was always a question in Arizona.  Sure, he is a young player and will make young player mistakes, but I got the sense that some around the league thought he might be a tad 'uncoachable'.

His tenure with the Habs can be used to prove those people wrong...…...and perhaps even make Marc Bergevin look good for once as GM.
JoeT above mentioned Drouin and Domi working very good together.....well, as far as Drouin goes, he is mega talented, with the issue being, just like Domi, can he be a complete pro?

If both can do that, then Montreal looks very good with the trade....even though I still think Galchenyuk will rebound nicely with the Coyotes.

Easy for guys like Drouin and Domi to be in harmony because things are going well. The true test will come when adversity hits. And we all know every team has problems of some sort throughout the year.

How well Domi, Drouin, and maybe a few others handle that will REALLY determine what Bergevin has in that locker room.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

Is Bergevin a genius after all? Domi with 19 points in 16 games, leading the Habs! Plain wow.

 

I'll answer my own question - no. Price's numbers are going down fast and he's starting to look very mediocre. After this season they still pay him  $10.5 mil. a year for 5 years... so good luck with that, Marc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Genius? No. But after all the terrible deals, trades, signings and picks he made or was responsible for, he had to win 1 or 2 at least...

 

But as much as I hate the Habs', I have to admit that so far, the MaxPac and the Galchenyuk deals are big wins for Bergevin.

 

And unfortunately for them, The Price contact will kill them for some years to come: he's not also fragile physically, but also mentally. And now he becomes more and more untradeable and unmoveable. Was an insane contract they gave him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Genius? No. But after all the terrible deals, trades, signings and picks he made or was responsible for, he had to win 1 or 2 at least...

 

But as much as I hate the Habs', I have to admit that so far, the MaxPac and the Galchenyuk deals are big wins for Bergevin.

 

And unfortunately for them, The Price contact will kill them for some years to come: he's not also fragile physically, but also mentally. And now he becomes more and more untradeable and unmoveable. Was an insane contract they gave him...

 

I agree with your first two paragraphs.

 

I do disagree, however, that Price is fragile mentally. One thing that has helped him become a great goalie is the fact he can let in a bad goal and just move on from it. The guy is generally as cool as a cucumber. 

 

From a previous post you made "Look at these other players who left Montréal: Eller, Smith-Pelly, Segachev, Andrighetto, Subban, etc. They all finish to be way better once they left"   I can't say I agree there either. I mean Eller and Smith-Pelly are putting up marginally better ppg on the Stanley Cup champion...but the Caps in general score more goals than the Habs so they should. Sergachev was traded as a teenager...of course he was going to get better. Subban is the exact same player that left Montreal. Andrighetto? Ok, I'll give you that one,  but it's really, again, a matter of developing as you get older. And he's really not all that good anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/13/2018 at 10:56 AM, flyercanuck said:

 

I agree with your first two paragraphs.

 

I do disagree, however, that Price is fragile mentally. One thing that has helped him become a great goalie is the fact he can let in a bad goal and just move on from it. The guy is generally as cool as a cucumber. 

 

From a previous post you made "Look at these other players who left Montréal: Eller, Smith-Pelly, Segachev, Andrighetto, Subban, etc. They all finish to be way better once they left"   I can't say I agree there either. I mean Eller and Smith-Pelly are putting up marginally better ppg on the Stanley Cup champion...but the Caps in general score more goals than the Habs so they should. Sergachev was traded as a teenager...of course he was going to get better. Subban is the exact same player that left Montreal. Andrighetto? Ok, I'll give you that one,  but it's really, again, a matter of developing as you get older. And he's really not all that good anyway.

 

I admit, my opinion of Lord Carey the First is a bit biased as I really dislike him. Bad attitude towards people, fans media and players. Molson gave him the key of the house and now you have the whole Canadiens' elements spinning around him. You said he was able to recover from a bad goal and do his job. This is correct. But from now I never saw him being the turning point of a slump or a losing streak. I have always seen the Habs making good at their debut, and then collapsing without Price taking one step ahead and be in charge.

 

For the moves mentioned, well. the fact is that all these players left a negative environment that wants immediate results. Eller was not that bad, but the move turned to be great for him with a better fit.

 

Subban really stabilized his game, taking less risks and be less under the discoball. He learned a lot playing with Josi, Ellis in a much better environment with less distractions. On the Other hand, Weber is often injured and carry a heavier contract for the Habs.

 

The Sergachev/Drouin trade was the most terrible. It was crystal clear that the D was the weak point in Montréal and finally they get a good prospect that would eventually make his place in the NHL. But they were blinded by their desperate need to find their #1 center for the 1st time for 20 years that they were sure that Drouin would make it. Again, a French-Canadian in a french market, the expectations were stupidly high. They still believe here in Montréal that the language you speak is a key factor. McKinnon and Drouin piled up similar numbers back in the LHJMQ in Halifax, so it should be the same in the NHL. That was a silly statement made by the Habs' management. And now? Montréal still doesn't have a legit #1 center, Drouin is in a slump and always moving from center to left wing, sometimes in the 1st line, sometimes in the 3rd, etc. Total waste. They are doing exactly the same thing they did with Galchenyuk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/9/2018 at 12:13 PM, Hockey-78 said:

Is Bergevin a genius after all? Domi with 19 points in 16 games, leading the Habs! Plain wow.

 

Max Domi has a Corsi% of 48%, but a GoalsFor% of 67%, and that's because a quarter of his shots are going in the net right now. This is an unsustainable hot streak.

 

 

On 11/9/2018 at 12:13 PM, Hockey-78 said:

I'll answer my own question - no. Price's numbers are going down fast and he's starting to look very mediocre. After this season they still pay him  $10.5 mil. a year for 5 years... so good luck with that, Marc.

 

It could be a long way down. Mediocre is the best way to describe it right now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JR Ewing  Um, that was a sarcastic remark about Bergevin. Of course he couldn't foresee what we're witnessing now. The more spice in a post, the better replies I get. 😉

 

Now they're benching Price for Niemi who got canned from two clubs last season and is earning what a league minimum at the moment. SMH

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

 

I admit, my opinion of Lord Carey the First is a bit biased as I really dislike him. Bad attitude towards people, fans media and players. Molson gave him the key of the house and now you have the whole Canadiens' elements spinning around him. You said he was able to recover from a bad goal and do his job. This is correct. But from now I never saw him being the turning point of a slump or a losing streak. I have always seen the Habs making good at their debut, and then collapsing without Price taking one step ahead and be in charge.

 

I've never heard of Price having a bad attitude. I don't live in Montreal so I'll defer to your opinion, but it's the first I've heard of it.

 

36 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

 

For the moves mentioned, well. the fact is that all these players left a negative environment that wants immediate results. Eller was not that bad, but the move turned to be great for him with a better fit.

 

Subban really stabilized his game, taking less risks and be less under the discoball. He learned a lot playing with Josi, Ellis in a much better environment with less distractions. On the Other hand, Weber is often injured and carry a heavier contract for the Habs.

 

The Sergachev/Drouin trade was the most terrible. It was crystal clear that the D was the weak point in Montréal and finally they get a good prospect that would eventually make his place in the NHL. But they were blinded by their desperate need to find their #1 center for the 1st time for 20 years that they were sure that Drouin would make it. Again, a French-Canadian in a french market, the expectations were stupidly high. They still believe here in Montréal that the language you speak is a key factor. McKinnon and Drouin piled up similar numbers back in the LHJMQ in Halifax, so it should be the same in the NHL. That was a silly statement made by the Habs' management. And now? Montréal still doesn't have a legit #1 center, Drouin is in a slump and always moving from center to left wing, sometimes in the 1st line, sometimes in the 3rd, etc. Total waste. They are doing exactly the same thing they did with Galchenyuk.

 

Maybe there's a miscommunication here...I took your original comment as meaning those players all left the Habs and become better players. You're saying here they went to a better environment for them, which I won't dispute. Or that the trades were not in the Habs favour, which I also won't dispute. 

 

I think we also see eye to eye that it's time that organization stopped holding French Canadians to a higher reverence and just take the better player/coach/gm regardless of his heritage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

'I think we also see eye to eye that it's time that organization stopped holding French Canadians to a higher reverence and just take the better player/coach/gm regardless of his heritage.

 

Boy, did you say it. It's probably indicative of how politics or how business is done (in general) around the province, but they really need to change that if they want to give themselves a better shot at competing. I'm also not sure if they noticed, but Quebec isn't exactly the hockey factory that it was in the past, much like how the South used to produce a disproportionate number of ballplayers.

 

Time changes.

 

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 3
      Post
      Someone please explain to me how Bergevin still has a job.  I'm not sure who the bigger idiot is:  Bergevin for these annual ridiculously stupid trades, or Carey Price for signing on to waste his career in Moronville.    Simply tragic. 
    • 2
      Post
      The worst gm in hockey and they still let him make trades? They gotta be aiming for Lefreniere next year.   Carolina has already introduced Svechnikov to STHs...they're not taking Zadina.
    • 2
      Post
      Maybe they sign Vinny Lecavalier!!!!!!! 
    • 2
      Post
      This trade was on the one-year anniversary of the Drouin trade.    June 15:  Horrible day to be a Habs fan
    • 1
      Post
      So, out of Domi's 9 goals last year, 4 were empty-netters. What I don't know about the day-to-day operations of any these hockey teams greatly outweighs what I know, but from my seat in the stands, this is a terrible trade for Montreal; one more in a long line.   I don't get it at all.  
    • 1
      Post
      Boy, did you say it. It's probably indicative of how politics or how business is done (in general) around the province, but they really need to change that if they want to give themselves a better shot at competing. I'm also not sure if they noticed, but Quebec isn't exactly the hockey factory that it was in the past, much like how the South used to produce a disproportionate number of ballplayers.   Time changes.  

About HF.net

 We are an enthusiastic community of HockeyFans who enjoy discussing the NHL and more in our Forums.  Our members may also write their own blogs, converse in chat, post pics in our gallery, join our fantasy hockey leagues and more.  If you are looking for a friendly community to discuss hockey then register today and begin your conversation in our NET.

 

 

Contact Us

 

Recent Topics

Like what we do? Help us keep doing it!
Supporting Members help keep HockeyForums Advertisement Free
×