Habs trade Alex Galchenyuk to Arizona for Max Domi

hf101

4 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Domi so far 8 games, 8 points. Galchenyuk injured, one game without points.

I know Bergerin's CV has been anything but great lately but looks like his sort of a gamble might pay off. Still early days though.

Yea, gotta go with the "still early" part......but can't ignore how well Domi has fit in so far with the Habs AND can't ignore that that Montreal has actually played pretty decently to start things off this year.

I think the main thing will be how well Max Domi adjusts to being a complete pro.
That was always a question in Arizona.  Sure, he is a young player and will make young player mistakes, but I got the sense that some around the league thought he might be a tad 'uncoachable'.

His tenure with the Habs can be used to prove those people wrong...…...and perhaps even make Marc Bergevin look good for once as GM.
JoeT above mentioned Drouin and Domi working very good together.....well, as far as Drouin goes, he is mega talented, with the issue being, just like Domi, can he be a complete pro?

If both can do that, then Montreal looks very good with the trade....even though I still think Galchenyuk will rebound nicely with the Coyotes.

Easy for guys like Drouin and Domi to be in harmony because things are going well. The true test will come when adversity hits. And we all know every team has problems of some sort throughout the year.

How well Domi, Drouin, and maybe a few others handle that will REALLY determine what Bergevin has in that locker room.

• 3 weeks later...

Is Bergevin a genius after all? Domi with 19 points in 16 games, leading the Habs! Plain wow.

I'll answer my own question - no. Price's numbers are going down fast and he's starting to look very mediocre. After this season they still pay him  $10.5 mil. a year for 5 years... so good luck with that, Marc.

Genius? No. But after all the terrible deals, trades, signings and picks he made or was responsible for, he had to win 1 or 2 at least...

But as much as I hate the Habs', I have to admit that so far, the MaxPac and the Galchenyuk deals are big wins for Bergevin.

And unfortunately for them, The Price contact will kill them for some years to come: he's not also fragile physically, but also mentally. And now he becomes more and more untradeable and unmoveable. Was an insane contract they gave him...

1 hour ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Genius? No. But after all the terrible deals, trades, signings and picks he made or was responsible for, he had to win 1 or 2 at least...

But as much as I hate the Habs', I have to admit that so far, the MaxPac and the Galchenyuk deals are big wins for Bergevin.

And unfortunately for them, The Price contact will kill them for some years to come: he's not also fragile physically, but also mentally. And now he becomes more and more untradeable and unmoveable. Was an insane contract they gave him...

I agree with your first two paragraphs.

I do disagree, however, that Price is fragile mentally. One thing that has helped him become a great goalie is the fact he can let in a bad goal and just move on from it. The guy is generally as cool as a cucumber. 

From a previous post you made "Look at these other players who left Montréal: Eller, Smith-Pelly, Segachev, Andrighetto, Subban, etc. They all finish to be way better once they left"   I can't say I agree there either. I mean Eller and Smith-Pelly are putting up marginally better ppg on the Stanley Cup champion...but the Caps in general score more goals than the Habs so they should. Sergachev was traded as a teenager...of course he was going to get better. Subban is the exact same player that left Montreal. Andrighetto? Ok, I'll give you that one,  but it's really, again, a matter of developing as you get older. And he's really not all that good anyway.

On 11/13/2018 at 10:56 AM, flyercanuck said:

I agree with your first two paragraphs.

I do disagree, however, that Price is fragile mentally. One thing that has helped him become a great goalie is the fact he can let in a bad goal and just move on from it. The guy is generally as cool as a cucumber. 

From a previous post you made "Look at these other players who left Montréal: Eller, Smith-Pelly, Segachev, Andrighetto, Subban, etc. They all finish to be way better once they left"   I can't say I agree there either. I mean Eller and Smith-Pelly are putting up marginally better ppg on the Stanley Cup champion...but the Caps in general score more goals than the Habs so they should. Sergachev was traded as a teenager...of course he was going to get better. Subban is the exact same player that left Montreal. Andrighetto? Ok, I'll give you that one,  but it's really, again, a matter of developing as you get older. And he's really not all that good anyway.

I admit, my opinion of Lord Carey the First is a bit biased as I really dislike him. Bad attitude towards people, fans media and players. Molson gave him the key of the house and now you have the whole Canadiens' elements spinning around him. You said he was able to recover from a bad goal and do his job. This is correct. But from now I never saw him being the turning point of a slump or a losing streak. I have always seen the Habs making good at their debut, and then collapsing without Price taking one step ahead and be in charge.

For the moves mentioned, well. the fact is that all these players left a negative environment that wants immediate results. Eller was not that bad, but the move turned to be great for him with a better fit.

Subban really stabilized his game, taking less risks and be less under the discoball. He learned a lot playing with Josi, Ellis in a much better environment with less distractions. On the Other hand, Weber is often injured and carry a heavier contract for the Habs.

The Sergachev/Drouin trade was the most terrible. It was crystal clear that the D was the weak point in Montréal and finally they get a good prospect that would eventually make his place in the NHL. But they were blinded by their desperate need to find their #1 center for the 1st time for 20 years that they were sure that Drouin would make it. Again, a French-Canadian in a french market, the expectations were stupidly high. They still believe here in Montréal that the language you speak is a key factor. McKinnon and Drouin piled up similar numbers back in the LHJMQ in Halifax, so it should be the same in the NHL. That was a silly statement made by the Habs' management. And now? Montréal still doesn't have a legit #1 center, Drouin is in a slump and always moving from center to left wing, sometimes in the 1st line, sometimes in the 3rd, etc. Total waste. They are doing exactly the same thing they did with Galchenyuk.

On 11/9/2018 at 12:13 PM, Hockey-78 said:

Is Bergevin a genius after all? Domi with 19 points in 16 games, leading the Habs! Plain wow.

Max Domi has a Corsi% of 48%, but a GoalsFor% of 67%, and that's because a quarter of his shots are going in the net right now. This is an unsustainable hot streak.

On 11/9/2018 at 12:13 PM, Hockey-78 said:

I'll answer my own question - no. Price's numbers are going down fast and he's starting to look very mediocre. After this season they still pay him  $10.5 mil. a year for 5 years... so good luck with that, Marc.

It could be a long way down. Mediocre is the best way to describe it right now.

@JR Ewing  Um, that was a sarcastic remark about Bergevin. Of course he couldn't foresee what we're witnessing now. The more spice in a post, the better replies I get. 😉

Now they're benching Price for Niemi who got canned from two clubs last season and is earning what a league minimum at the moment. SMH

36 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

I admit, my opinion of Lord Carey the First is a bit biased as I really dislike him. Bad attitude towards people, fans media and players. Molson gave him the key of the house and now you have the whole Canadiens' elements spinning around him. You said he was able to recover from a bad goal and do his job. This is correct. But from now I never saw him being the turning point of a slump or a losing streak. I have always seen the Habs making good at their debut, and then collapsing without Price taking one step ahead and be in charge.

I've never heard of Price having a bad attitude. I don't live in Montreal so I'll defer to your opinion, but it's the first I've heard of it.

36 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

For the moves mentioned, well. the fact is that all these players left a negative environment that wants immediate results. Eller was not that bad, but the move turned to be great for him with a better fit.

Subban really stabilized his game, taking less risks and be less under the discoball. He learned a lot playing with Josi, Ellis in a much better environment with less distractions. On the Other hand, Weber is often injured and carry a heavier contract for the Habs.

The Sergachev/Drouin trade was the most terrible. It was crystal clear that the D was the weak point in Montréal and finally they get a good prospect that would eventually make his place in the NHL. But they were blinded by their desperate need to find their #1 center for the 1st time for 20 years that they were sure that Drouin would make it. Again, a French-Canadian in a french market, the expectations were stupidly high. They still believe here in Montréal that the language you speak is a key factor. McKinnon and Drouin piled up similar numbers back in the LHJMQ in Halifax, so it should be the same in the NHL. That was a silly statement made by the Habs' management. And now? Montréal still doesn't have a legit #1 center, Drouin is in a slump and always moving from center to left wing, sometimes in the 1st line, sometimes in the 3rd, etc. Total waste. They are doing exactly the same thing they did with Galchenyuk.

Maybe there's a miscommunication here...I took your original comment as meaning those players all left the Habs and become better players. You're saying here they went to a better environment for them, which I won't dispute. Or that the trades were not in the Habs favour, which I also won't dispute. 

I think we also see eye to eye that it's time that organization stopped holding French Canadians to a higher reverence and just take the better player/coach/gm regardless of his heritage.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

'I think we also see eye to eye that it's time that organization stopped holding French Canadians to a higher reverence and just take the better player/coach/gm regardless of his heritage.

Boy, did you say it. It's probably indicative of how politics or how business is done (in general) around the province, but they really need to change that if they want to give themselves a better shot at competing. I'm also not sure if they noticed, but Quebec isn't exactly the hockey factory that it was in the past, much like how the South used to produce a disproportionate number of ballplayers.

Time changes.

Archived