Simmonds a "TJ Oshie" Deal?

radoran

1 minute ago, vis said:

Yeah, probably those two players.  Moreso Leclair.  Gagne got dogged at times for being a little soft and I remember people wanting to trade him at times.  People complained about Leclair's last contract.  

At the very end when Gagne had come back, I argued heavily against people who wanted to resign him. I wasn't the only one, so definitely a silly there (I just felt he was done dvd didn't want to spend the money). His first gig, yeah I guess there was a bit of the "soft" stuff.  I forgot that. 

With LeClair, probably as close as we've been. 

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

At the very end when Gagne had come back, I argued heavily against people who wanted to resign him.

You're dead to me

8 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@ruxpin @vis

Simmonds is one of my favorites, but I have criticized his play in the defensive zone. 

He is frequently on lines that get hemmed in by good forechecking. He and Schenn were often disastrous...  I don't know if it's matchup driven, but I do know he and his mates seem to be the guys who chase the play, at least anecdotally. I'm sure there are metrics to prove me wrong, but I think he isn't a strong puck possession guy, which is weird because he is not a wuss on the puck and plays in the "man" areas.  

All that said, I love the guy in the room/community and on the ice, I would be sad if he were no longer a Flyer.

Yeah, he's not without criticism (and those are certainly fair points).  But, in spite of whatever weaknesses he has, he's never really run afoul of a portion of the fanbase.

19 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not sure I agree. He waa pretty decent on the penalty kill, so I don't question his defensive ability. 

He was excellent on the PK. 

He is also faster than everyone thinks and makes that play where he chips the puck to the boards and blows around the defender which i never get tired of seeing.  

In spite of those things, I seem to recall his line having difficulty on the breakouts and regaining possession in the d-zone, I blame Filpulla first , then Lindros. 

15 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

As much hate as he generated I recall a lot of people being pretty happy we'd signed him. (me never being one of them)

I overestimated his play in Phoenix so I actually wanted him, but I hated the contract out of the gate. 

In retrospect, I shouldn't have wanted him period. 

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I overestimated his play in Phoenix so I actually wanted him, but I hated the contact out of the gate. 

In retrospect, I shouldn't have wanted him period. 

A few things:

-Initially it was always the term of the deal that was the problem for most of us.

-I think many of us were enthused about the goalie because all we knew was his stats.  We'd never met him or talked to any of his coaches/team mates.  Presumably Homer had.  That kind of crazy isn't easy to hide.

I just remember that moment in the HBO show about that season when Jagr literally gets up and moves away from Bryz like three times in the lunch room.  They played it like a joke, but it was pretty clear Jagr was making a joke out of his genuine emotion.  AND THIS WAS JAGR.  Not a guy with a reputation for being a prick like Pronger.  It was Jagr, one of the most universally loved team mates around.

If that's how he was being treated, even if it was in good humor, that's going to wear on a guy with an already clearly shaky grasp on things.  

For quite a while, Simmonds has been at the forefront of the Flyers push-back/backbone. That alone endears him to Flyer fans, who like our violence. Throw in the obvious skill and goal scoring, you have a universally loved Flyer...and deservedly so.

I do count Hexy as a very smart GM, and smart GM's, they don't sign 30 old guys to 8 year deals.....or even 6 year deals for that matter. The all hands on deck thing from Metzler makes sense, get what you can out of him, have him help the team acquire a playoff spot, then dump him for the best deal out there near the deadline. IF you think last years bad stats were mainly injury related, which looks like the case from here. 

Archived