NHL AWARD PREDICTIONS

yave1964

Getting ready for the award ceremony in Vegas, here are my predictions on the winners of various awards:

VEZINA TROPHY (LEAGUES BEST GOALIE) 

Candidates are Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy and Rinne

All three had fantastic years, Hellboy and Vas tied for the league lead in victories, I give a slight edge to Vasilevskiy but it is razor thin.

GM OF THE YEAR  George MPhee and a couple of other guys who have no chance. With apologies to Cheveldayoff and Yzerman, c'mon, this has to be the biggest no brainer of any award ever.

JACK ADAMS COACH OF THE YEAR Gallant, Bednar and Cassidy. I am leaning towards a clean sweep of management awards for the Knights and just giving it to Gallant but truth is all three are worthy. Bednar and the 'Lanche came from nowhere with Hockey's worst record the previous year since the inception of the losers point and Cassidy in his first full season after a year of disarray in Boston the previous year are both worthy candidates. Still, I go with Gallant but it is close.

HART TROPHY (LEAGUE MVP) Taylor Hall, MacKinnon and Kopitar the are candidates, I give it to Hall in a year where truthfully you coulda put Giroux, McDavid or Ovechkin in there as well as a few others, a wide open class. Hall willed the Devils to the postseason, had a midseason point streak of 26 games and simply played like a man possessed. It feels weird not seeing Crosby or McDavid on thelist but all three who are on here are worthy.

SELKE AWARD FOR BEST DEFESNIVE FORWARD Couturier, Bergeron and Kopitar are the candidates, again any of the three are deserving of the award. I go with Kopitar as he seemed to carry the team at both ends of the ice most of the year. Truthfully I might have given it to Barkov who was not in the fnal three.

CALDER TROPHY FOR LEAGUES TOP ROOKIE Barzal should be the no brainer runaway winner with apologies to Boeser and Keller who had fine years. Barzal exceeded their production at a more demanding position making this the easiest selection other than McPhee.

NORRIS TROPHY FOR LEAGUES TOP DEFENSEMAN Doughty, Hedman and Subban are the candidates, I give it hands down to Hedman who plays as complete a game as any defenseman in the game today. This one shouldn't be close either.

LADY BING TROPHY O'Reilly, Barkov and William Karlsson are the nominees for the most gentlemanly player award. This award should truthfully probably be retired, it is vague and kind of silly, I probably go with O'Reilly because of his efforts to open drive thru windows in Tim Hortons. I doubt anyone really cares.

BILL MASTERTON AWARD FOR DEDICATION TO THE GAME Jordan Staal, Roberto Luongo and Brian Boyle are the nominees, Luongo's passion in helping bring South Florida together after the school shooting just down the road from Sunrise was moving but I gotta go with Boyle. Coming back from Leukemia and a sick kid who spent time in the hospital makes him the no brainer choice.

TED LINDSAY AWARD LEAGUES BEST PLAYER AS VOTED BY THE PLAYERS McDavid, MacKinnon and Hall are the candidates, slightly different than the Hart I think the players know that scoring leader and superstar McDavid is the leagues best player and will be the annual winner of this award for the foreseeable future.

I think I got them all, here are my picks. Feel free to join in the conversation.

Thanks @yave1964 for posting the awards topic.  

I think most of these are obvious.  Giroux should have been nominated for the HART, and not only nominated Giroux should be the preferred choice to win.  Without Giroux in the mix, my vote is for MacKinnon.

5 hours ago, hf101 said:

That is pretyy well how I saw it, I kind of figured Kopitar/Giroux a tossup for thethird slot but Hall would win. Wasn't expecting it to be so resounding however.

The one that I didn't get was the Vezina, I have a ton of respect for Rinne and feel he has bounced back amazingly after a couple of down years to quiet the whispers of age and decline, the last two seasons have been great BUT Vasileskiy and Hellebuyck both IMHO were more deserving Rask and . Bobrovsky were probably more deserving. I think Rinne winning it was the equivalent of the gold watch for twenty years of service and that he deserves credit but I think the voters missed this one by a wide margin.

For those keeping score at home ...here are your winners.........

Hart Trophy

Awarded to the player judged most valuable to his team: Taylor Hall, New Jersey Devils

Jack Adams Award

Awarded to the NHL coach judged to have contributed the most to his team's success: Gerard Gallant, Vegas Golden Knights

Vezina Trophy

Awarded to the goalkeeper judged to be the best at his position: Pekka Rinne, Nashville Predators

Selke Trophy

Awarded to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game: Anze Kopitar, Los Angeles Kings

Bill Masterton Trophy

Awarded to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey: Brian Boyle, New Jersey Devils

Lady Byng Trophy

Awarded to the player judged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability: William Karlsson, Vegas Golden Knights

Mark Messier Leadership Award

Given to the player who exemplifies great leadership qualities to his team, on and off the ice, during the regular season and who plays a leading role in his community growing the game of hockey: Deryk Engelland, Vegas Golden Knights

Calder Trophy

Awarded to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition: Mathew Barzal, New York Islanders

Norris Trophy

Awarded to the defenseman that demonstrated the greatest all-around ability in the position: Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay Lightning

King Clancy Trophy

Awarded to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community: Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks

William Jennings Trophy

Goaltender(s) who played 25 games or more for the team with the fewest goals against: Jonathan Quick, Los Angeles Kings

Ted Lindsay Award

Most valuable player, as voted on by the NHLPA: Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers

Art Ross Trophy

Given to the player who leads the league in points: Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers

Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy

Given to the player who leads the league in goals: Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals

It was a terrible trade the day it happened, and I freaked out here that day. However, one point seems to have been missed among all of the fair points:

Taylor Hall would never have won a Hart as Connor McDavid's teammate.

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Did Barzal thank Boser for getting hurt???

It was by no means over when Boeser was shut down for the season, but Barzal was pretty clearly in the lead already. As of March 5:

Barzal: 66 GP, 18-49-67

Boeser: 61 GP, 29-26-55

4 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

It was by no means over when Boeser was shut down for the season, but Barzal was pretty clearly in the lead already. As of March 5:

Barzal: 66 GP, 18-49-67

Boeser: 61 GP, 29-26-55

I still think Boser would have won because he would have topped 40 goals.

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I still think Boser would have won because he would have topped 40 goals.

Yeah... I dunno... I guess...

Boeser  2018 Goals per 82 Games: 38

Month-to-Month

image.png

He went super nova in November and December,  but he really slowed down after that. Wasn't going to keep burying 1/5 to over 1/4 of his shots.

Meanwhile, Barzal just kept consistently putting up points all year long. Before the break, he was scoring at a 1.04 PPG pace, and after the break, he was 1.06 PPG. Your prediction has a good measure of "what if" and "if he can keep shooting at historically high rates" built into it.

Archived