Hoffman traded, to the shock of nobody

Bertmega

54 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Didn't take long after all that mess in Ottawa, with San José throwing the hot potato in Florida.

Monika Caryk isn't that hot.

And I'm not sure it's nice to call her a potato.

58 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

Is it me, or is that really an underpayment?

Yeah, that was really an underpayment.   I actually thought San Jose got a slightly better return for Hoffman than Ottawa did.  It's quite possible that teams put the screws to Ottawa on offers because they tried to trade him at the deadline knowing full-well what was going on.  

But yeah, 6 months ago I think they get way more for him.  It's a shame, because just straight up hockey he could really help a team.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Because all the people doing cyber attacks congregate in Russia.

Yep....shopping him during the season and not disclosing the issue is bad for business.

Great dealing by Wilson, clearing the contract of Boedker (4 million remaining on two more years) may allow them to get into the Kovie discussion or at least a veteran middle six forward who produces. Picking up a draft picks and cap relief, Bergman is three years in as an AHLer and still has not translated his game to North America (20 points, minus 20 last year) but will likely stick with the talent starved Senators. 

As for Florida, they were ridiculously top heavy last year and need at least two middle six forwards going into next year, really for minimum investment they just added a top six winger his 5 million per for the next couple of years fits in very well with the average salary that Florida gives their young forwards. 

Dorion and the Sens were the clear loser in this deal, adding a shell of his former self in Boedker, a prospect/suspect in Bergman the team just took a step backwards in almost every way. 

8 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

It'll be reaaaaally interesting to see the first time Hoffman heads into Ottawa to play this season

As a Senators fan,

Do you think that moving out Hoffman gives your boys any more of a chance to resign Karlsson or the fact that you got about 40 cents on the dollar for him hurt? Or do you think it has no affect one way or the other?

I think that the fact that they moved him out means they haven't entirely given up on signing Karlsson, if Karlsson had informed the team to try to find accommodations for him elsewhere as a curtesy they may have held onto Hoffman, the fact that he is gone may be a point in your favor.

26 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

As a Senators fan,

Do you think that moving out Hoffman gives your boys any more of a chance to resign Karlsson or the fact that you got about 40 cents on the dollar for him hurt? Or do you think it has no affect one way or the other?

I think that the fact that they moved him out means they haven't entirely given up on signing Karlsson, if Karlsson had informed the team to try to find accommodations for him elsewhere as a curtesy they may have held onto Hoffman, the fact that he is gone may be a point in your favor.

Well, one or both of them had to leave, and if I had to choose one it would be Hoffman, as I would have wanted him traded even if this didn't happen (though it would have meant a better return).

I really hope they hold onto Karlsson, he's the franchise player and the face of the organisation. But the senators have a history of dumb moves so it could go either way.

Hoffman is better than Bodeker. He just is. The stats don't lie. My gut says Ottawa was in in a no win situation with all the off ice problems. They HAD to take a diminished return. 

Florida gains the best player, but the move was only needed because both Riley Smith and Marcessault are better or at least equal to Hoffman. Had they not made the costly Vegas errors, this trade would  have never happened. Mismanagement by Tallon all the way around, and now he's grasping at strings. 

As far as Ottawas goes......the *right* move is to trade Karlsson. Rip it all down, start over from scratch. Take the amazing assets that can be gleaned from Karlsson and put the franchise on the right path. Problem is, it risks Ottawa as a team. The Sens fans only filled the seats at a 81% ratio.....5th lowest in the league. A total rebuild will put into motion a total fan backlash. Melynk would have to sell or move.....100%. Perhaps it is for the best, if the Sens fans don't support their team properly, it's for the best. I must say though, having the nw arena in Katana, WAY far away from downtown Ottawa was a HUGE error. 

9 hours ago, Bertmega said:

SJ sent  Mikkel Boedker, defenseman Julius Bergman and a 2020 sixth-round pick.

Florida sent 2018 fourth- and fifth-round picks and a 2019 second-round pick to San Jose for Hoffman and a 2018 seventh-round pick. 

Is it me, or is that really an underpayment?

I did a cartwheel.

Because I saw we got rid of Boedker.

Then I saw we got Hoffman.

And I said WTF???

And did a happy dance. if only because we lack goalscorers and he is one.

8 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I did a cartwheel.

And I said WTF???

Except he's going to the Panthers.

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I did a cartwheel.

And I said WTF???

Out of curiosity, how ya feeling now?

5 minutes ago, bladerookie said:

Is he really going to join the Panthers though? I mean, he went from Ottawa to the Panthers.

He went from Ottawa to Sharks and then to the Panthers.

1 hour ago, bladerookie said:

Is he really going to join the Panthers though? I mean, he went from Ottawa to the Panthers.

As in does he report?

Or does he get traded again?

Or does his psychotic girlfriend kill him in his sleep?

I suspect he's not traded again unless something becomes far worse with the Karlsson story.  And I don't know why he wouldn't report, but crazier things have happened.

My money is on that he should sleep with one eye open.

14 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I must say though, having the nw arena in Katana, WAY far away from downtown Ottawa was a HUGE error. 

Absolutely, and Phoenix made the same silly move by going in Glendale, leading the franchise to the giant circus with the ownership a few years back.

Yet the Sens will likely move in the new arena that will be built in LeBreton plains in downtown Ottawa. And chances of Québec to get athe NHL back will drop to 0.00001%

Archived