Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
yave1964

Dan Bylsma hired as assistant in Motown

Jeff Blashill has to know his days are done as the head coach with the Wings.

Dan Bylsma who coached the Penguins to a Stanley cup in 2009 nd Western Michigan native has been brought in to turn around the inept power play. And to cast a very large shadow over the shoulder of Blash. 

t starts with the face-off, might be a breakout, but gain that possession and entry is vital," Bylsma said. "Shot and attacking mindset and mentality is a huge indicator of power-play success and teams that have those aspects have success. Toronto is a perfect example of that type of mentality, where they're attacking and shooting and converging to the net.

"Once we evaluate who's going to be on the power play, you'll see a certain kind of mentality, but it'll always end up with shots and activity around the net and chaos around the net. Attacking and converging is a core essence of having success on the power play."

Bylsma said personnel is still to be determined, but he included 6-6 forward Michael Rasmussen, the club's top pick in 2017, could be good at the net front. He also expects 6-5 Anthony Mantha, another big forward, to continue to have an impact (team-leading nine power-play goals in 2017-18).

It sounds as if he has more or less made himself at home, "The first 20 years of my life I was a Detroit Red Wings fan and for the next half of my life I may not have been. But I've always had in the back of my mind that coming back home and working for the Red Wings and being a part of the Red Wings organization is something I wanted to do. I've already gotten a lot of love and support from people in the area, saying welcome home and welcome to the Red and White. It is a big aspect of my decision to join Jeff and the Red Wings."

Now lets get real, I know there are a lot of guys in here who do not like Bylsma, but I was always a fan of his attacking style. The Wings lost 27 games by one goal and these kinds of things tend to even out the next year, having an aggressive power play is something that we Wings fans have been screaming for. Too many times the Wings would set up in the offensive zone and pass the puck around until it was intercepted or Frk would fire a crazy wild shot that went 100 MPH into the boards and then a clear would occur and we would come back in and do nothing. Simply a dreadful power play. He has to be an improvement over what we had, he has to be an improvement over IMHO he got a raw deal in Buffalo where he took over the worst team in the game, the Sabres in the three years before he took over had 48, 52 nd 54 points his two years in Buffalo the Sabres spiked up to 78 and 81, last year when he left they slipped back to 61 points. I am not saying he is the second coming of Scotty Bowman but I am saying he can coach.

Posted (edited)

@yave1964 

This is a good add. If you aren’t gonna replace Blash right now, this is an add that can transition well. The two have worked together before, which may soften the seeming eventual looking replacement. I mean, if the Wings play significantly better, and the PP has anything to do with the jump, how do you NOT replace at that point?

It is obvious, Bylsma is not Scotty Bowman. They coach very differently. You won’t find many Scotty’s out there. But he can be very effective, and I think he may be what we need. Our PP has been dreadful—and that isn’t even talking about the road scoreless streaks that we have had these past few seasons. Other than having a decent QB, we have some talent that SHOULD be able to score better on the PP than we have. It is hard for me to see our PP getting any worse than it has been. It’ll be hard for them NOT to get better now.

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 1