2018 - Trade and free agent rumors

I figured if anyone was interested might as well put a place in here for current rumors. Here is what I have read in the last day or so.

Colorado and Ottawa are in discussion with Karlsson heading to the Avalanche and Barrie to Ottawa but Ottawa returning the first rounder to Ottawa as part of the deal. Last year when Ottawa traded for Duchene they had to give up their first rounder in either this years draft (pick number 4) or next and with a bleak future staring at them, it is possible that the Senators do this to secure their pick. It makes sense for both.

Speaking of Karlsson, it appears more and more likely he is going to be moved,  Vegas wants in and has the room to afford him, the Senators are insisting that the albatross contract of Bobby ryan goes along in the deal. Ugh. 

Montreal is supposed to be looking to move down a few spots in the draft as they feel that the guy they covet, center Jesperi Kotkaniemi should be available a few picks later.

Carolina is rumored to be willing to trade about anyone, Skinner and Faulk seem to be foregone, Hanifin and others are rumored. The new owner wants to put his stamp on the team.

The Capitals want a first rounder in this draft for Grubauer. They say if not they are perfectly happy and willing to keep him on the team.

Pacioretty is as always in on every trade rumor there is, going to every team. It happens every year, He was supposed to be Florida bound before Hoffman went there,  Edmonton is supposed to be in on him right now.

Lucic is supposed to be on the block. Good luck.

Anyone have any more?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan O'Reilly is rumored to be getting interest from Philly, Montreal, Minnesota, and a couple others. Buffalo wants a first, a young roster player, and an A prospect back.

Minnesota is rumored to be trying to move Zucker and/or Niederreiter to open up some wiggle room in the cap.

Great idea @yave1964 ......

I keep reading that Edmonton is actively shopping #10 overall.  I've even read that the Blues and Oilers are talking about the possibility of Colton Parayko.  Why would the St. Louis Blues even think of trading Colton Parayko? He’s young, solid defensively, logs big minutes in all situations, and is signed to a reasonable cap hit for four more years.

On Jeff Skinner ......

The notion of Jeff Skinner getting traded out of Carolina appears to be at an all-time high as talks have picked up and at least three teams seems keenly interested. The three-time 30-goal man has been in the rumor mill for some time and recently linked to the St. Louis Blues, Pittsburgh Penguins, and Los Angeles Kings. Darren Dreger of TSN reports that the Carolina Hurricanes are “inching closer” to a deal and are in “late stages of discussions.” Something should get done before or during Friday’s NHL Entry Draft

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-june-22-2/

29 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Lucic is supposed to be on the block. Good luck.

His agent appeared on Edmonton radio about an hour ago:

I couldn't begin to say that what Johannson says is the real deal, of course. Agents talk. Teams talk. Fans are better off waiting to see what happens, because it doesn't really behoove the teams or the agents or the players to tell us about the reality of their plans.

@AJgoal

I cannot see Parayko being dealt, unless the Oilers first rounder is involved in the deal, the Oilers are supposedly willing to trade their first (number 10) for a NHL top four defenseman. 

@pilldoc

As far as trading Skinner, I think he is part of the solution and not the problem, a young 35 goal scorer who is lazy on defense can be taught by the right coach. You can teach defense, you cannot teach someone how to score 35 goals, lol. No way no how do I trade Skinner but the Canes are the Canes.

I seen Canes may move Elias Lindholm too since they can't agree on a new contract....guess with Faulk, Hanifin and Skinner all maybe moving they could have a quick retool.....or get screwed....one of the two...

Mark Lazerus Retweeted Alan Kruss

It's not a rumor. The Blackhawks are very much in the market for another goaltender. Whether or not Corey Crawford is as ready as the Hawks claim, they clearly need a better backup plan than they had last year. Grubauer is an option. Hutton is more attractive as a UFA, though.

Good. This team would have been much better if not for some of the idiotic trades they've made in the last few years. That's one of the things in life: you develop a past; a history. The history of Peter Chiarelli is that of consistently sending away more talent than he receives in return.

I don't have confidence in his ability to get enough for #10 and whatever else he's desperate enough to move.

Confirmed!

TRADE | The Washington Capitals have acquired a second round pick, 47th-overall from the Colorado Avalanche in the 2018 NHL Draft in exchange for defenseman Brooks Orpik and Philipp Grubauer. #ALLCAPS 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/capitals-trade-grubauer-orpik-avalanche-draft-pick/

12 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Confirmed!

TRADE | The Washington Capitals have acquired a second round pick, 47th-overall from the Colorado Avalanche in the 2018 NHL Draft in exchange for defenseman Brooks Orpik and Philipp Grubauer. #ALLCAPS 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/capitals-trade-grubauer-orpik-avalanche-draft-pick/

Damn. TheAvalanche have a love of taking goalies from the Caps who are chased out of town by Holtby. I was really hoping the Wings could get in on this one but someone would have had to wake Kenny Holland up.

@AJgoal

I am absolutely not against signing Lehner, he is probably among the worst starting goalies in the game but on a two year deal, if we can move Howard to someone like the Canes for defense help it is a win for the team, especially if we can also bring in someone like Khubodin or Bernier as well. As for Filpulla, he is  beyond worthless at this point of his career, just wasted talent IMHO. I remember watching him for years, about every third game he looked like the second coming of Datsyuk and then he would disappear for the next two. Just a frustratingly talented player, now his skill is eroded to the point where he probably will have to play in Europe next year.

So we add Lehner, we win the lottery next year and add Jack Hughes. I am okay with that.

• hf101 changed the title to 2018 - Trade and free agent rumors
  • hf101 pinned this topic
On 6/27/2018 at 12:47 PM, yave1964 said:

if we can move Howard to someone like the Canes for defense help it is a win for the team

Uh yeah good luck with that....

...might have to pay someone to take him...

I'm hearing the Hawks attached to a few different goalies. I hear Bernier, Ward, even Hutton.....would Hutton be viewed as a possible replacement for Crawford, who would probably be dealt if Hutton signs with the Hawks.

8 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I'm hearing the Hawks attached to a few different goalies. I hear Bernier, Ward, even Hutton.....would Hutton be viewed as a possible replacement for Crawford, who would probably be dealt if Hutton signs with the Hawks.

Eventually, maybe.   But I think at this point they're really just looking for a competent veteran guy as insurance for Crawford's health.  Ward actually serves that role the best, even if not in an exciting way.   Bernier scares me if Crawford goes down for an extended period of time, and Hutton is really a roll of the dice.   He's ideal if you're looking for someone to take 40-50% of the starts with a healthy Crawford.

They haven't spent a lot of effort on goaltending in their system, huh?   Just looking at their prospects and based solely on stats, I guess Kevin Lankinen is their best bet but he likely isn't ready until next year.    Maybe, though, if he gets used to the NA rink, etc. quickly it could be sometime during the season.    Collin Delia doesn't excite me, but maybe him too.  But their cupboard is thin.

30 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Eventually, maybe.   But I think at this point they're really just looking for a competent veteran guy as insurance for Crawford's health.  Ward actually serves that role the best, even if not in an exciting way.   Bernier scares me if Crawford goes down for an extended period of time, and Hutton is really a roll of the dice.   He's ideal if you're looking for someone to take 40-50% of the starts with a healthy Crawford.

They haven't spent a lot of effort on goaltending in their system, huh?   Just looking at their prospects and based solely on stats, I guess Kevin Lankinen is their best bet but he likely isn't ready until next year.    Maybe, though, if he gets used to the NA rink, etc. quickly it could be sometime during the season.    Collin Delia doesn't excite me, but maybe him too.  But their cupboard is thin.

I have read this a few times, so not exactly my original thoughts, but my gut says some of the reports are right.....Crawford to the Islanders, maybe today, in a last ditch attempt to secure Johnny. T......we shall see....but I can see Chic going with Hutton/Ward, or Bernier/Ward, the latter being a bit of a tank....

Archived