2018 - Trade and free agent rumors

17 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I have read this a few times, so not exactly my original thoughts, but my gut says some of the reports are right.....Crawford to the Islanders, maybe today, in a last ditch attempt to secure Johnny. T......we shall see....but I can see Chic going with Hutton/Ward, or Bernier/Ward, the latter being a bit of a tank....

I don't think the front side of the Hawks is good enough at this point even if you were to substitute Crawford's name for Ward's in your tandems.  Crawford is decent behind the strong teams that were there previously, but I don't think he's actually anything more than slightly above average.   So, if I'm Chicago, maybe I do move Crawford's cap hit and bring in a pair for roughly the same amount or less and use some money on bringing someone in on the front end.    I tend to agree with the "tank" thing looking at those tandems, but I don't know that they'll actually be any worse off--especially if, as I expect, Crawford continues with health issues.   Maybe better if they're able to bring in another winger or defenseman.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whispers are getting louder that Crawdaddy may not be ready for camp in spite of what Stan Bowman keeps saying. They certainly cannot get by with the arson squad of Forsberg and Glass again. I have never been a fan of Crawford, he is a product of the team he plays for as much as anything kind of like Ozzie was with the Wings. the tide raised his ship, now that it is a low tide he even if healthy will slip considerably. Ward is an okay option and makes a lot of sense for them.

Karlsson likely to go to Tampa. It seems pretty obvious that he won't be back for the Sens.

Ottawa is also planning to give a seminar titled "Course 101: how to dismantle a franchise in less than a year". Dorion will give the lecture but Melnyk might join to give some hints as well.

1 hour ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Karlsson likely to go to Tampa. It seems pretty obvious that he won't be back for the Sens.

He won't go back to the Sens, but I have no idea how he ends up on Tampa.   They only have $5M in cap space now and have Kucherov, Gourde and Point to pay next year.    They just signed McDonagh for a $6.75M cap hit and a NTC starting next year.  

They have to move out significant cap if they're going to trade for Karlsson.  And it sounds like the Senators are still insisting on Ryan, too.     If I'm Yzerman, I'm not gutting my almost there team even for Karlsson (and Ryan).  I'm tweaking not blowing up.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

He won't go back to the Sens, but I have no idea how he ends up on Tampa.   They only have $5M in cap space now and have Kucherov, Gourde and Point to pay next year.    They just signed McDonagh for $6.75M cap hit starting next year.  

They have to move out significant cap if they're going to trade for Karlsson.  And if I'm GM there, I'm not gutting my almost there team even for Karlsson.  I'm tweaking not blowing up.

What I have read as the likeliest scenario is Miller with his new five year contract and Sergechev and assorted picks with the husk of Callahan either being bought out or shipped as part and parcel to making the financing work. 

One thing to consider in Florida is it is a zero tax state which is something the Panthers have been using quite nicely to their advantage in recent years to lock up their young players on sweetheart deals and I could see Yzerman doing the same with Gourde and Point. If this does come to fruition I don't see them keeping the team together beyond a few years but if they can keep the team together for even five years with Karlsson and Hedman on the point and Kucherev/point/Stamkos up front on a power play, it is a matter of how many cups they win, not if they win. Just sick if they make it happen. And I am a fan of both Miller and Sergechev but you gotta trade two white chips for a blue chip any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

9 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

One thing to consider in Florida is it is a zero tax state

Good.  Those dumbasses can't figure out a butterfly ballot.  How the hell are they supposed to figure out a sales tax chart?

11 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

What I have read as the likeliest scenario is Miller with his new five year contract and Sergechev and assorted picks with the husk of Callahan either being bought out or shipped as part and parcel to making the financing work. 

I guess.  At this point in their careers with age and cost, I keep Sergechev over Karlsson.

No really, I'm serious.

And how badly do you have to HATE your players and prospects to send them to Ottawa?

2 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Ottawa is also planning to give a seminar titled "Course 101: how to dismantle a franchise in less than a year". Dorion will give the lecture but Melnyk might join to give some hints as well.

Stone just filed for Arbitration too.

Man the sens are going to have like 60 million in cap room next year at this rate.

Melnyk is the new age Dollar Bill Wirtz.

Karlsson and Stone looking to be gone for pennies. Zibanejad gone for Brassard, brassard gone for pennies, 2019 1st, Hoffman gone.

Sinking ship under terribad owner

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I guess.  At this point in their careers with age and cost, I keep Sergechev over Karlsson.

No really, I'm serious.

And how badly do you have to HATE your players and prospects to send them to Ottawa?

My opinion is Karlsson will score more points in the next five years of his contract before  he gets old and falls off the rails then Sergechev will in the next ten. And I like Sergechev, I really do, but he is just not, at this point in time in Karlssons class. I see him maxing out at 40-45 points, great defesne, second power play, I love those guys they can play on a team I like any time but blue chips are nearly impossible to get. That is why when people say oh the Leafs, now they signed Tavares, in a few years Nylander will have to go. So what? Very good player, give me Tavares for the next seven or eight years over a dozen years of Nylander.

4 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Stone just filed for Arbitration too.

Man the sens are going to have like 60 million in cap room next year at this rate.

Melnyk is the new age Dollar Bill Wirtz.

Karlsson and Stone looking to be gone for pennies. Zibanejad gone for Brassard, brassard gone for pennies, 2019 1st, Hoffman gone.

Sinking ship under terribad owner

The worst deal I ever saw was the Hoffman deal, the Senators literally finished 4th in a 3 team trade, lol.

Sharks- first, cap space and picks.

Panthers second, a very good second line winger in Hoffman who they needed.

Avalanche third, they hold the Sens first rounder next year and the Sens got worse by dealing Hoffman.

Senators 4th in a three team deal adding the ghost of Boedker and a kid defenseman who was supposed to be good but has spent three years in the A and looks bad. They literally reinvented math on that one.

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

My opinion is Karlsson will score more points in the next five years of his contract before  he gets old and falls off the rails then Sergechev will in the next ten. And I like Sergechev, I really do, but he is just not, at this point in time in Karlssons class. I see him maxing out at 40-45 points, great defesne, second power play, I love those guys they can play on a team I like any time but blue chips are nearly impossible to get. That is why when people say oh the Leafs, now they signed Tavares, in a few years Nylander will have to go. So what? Very good player, give me Tavares for the next seven or eight years over a dozen years of Nylander.

I see his ceiling as more 55-60 myself. Hell of a shot and offensive instincts. yes he is relegated to 2nd PP, but on tampa that almost does not matter

Just now, yave1964 said:

The worst deal I ever saw was the Hoffman deal, the Senators literally finished 4th in a 3 team trade, lol.

Sharks- first, cap space and picks.

Panthers second, a very good second line winger in Hoffman who they needed.

Avalanche third, they hold the Sens first rounder next year and the Sens got worse by dealing Hoffman.

Senators 4th in a three team deal adding the ghost of Boedker and a kid defenseman who was supposed to be good but has spent three years in the A and looks bad. They literally reinvented math on that one.

I did a Cartwheel during that trade.

All I saw initially was "Boedker gone" and we did not need to pay someone to take him. After all math is worked out, Wilson actually got multiple draft picks AND someone to take his contract off our hands.

38 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

The worst deal I ever saw was the Hoffman deal, the Senators literally finished 4th in a 3 team trade

BEST.DESCRIPTION.EVER.

39 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I see his ceiling as more 55-60 myself. Hell of a shot and offensive instincts. yes he is relegated to 2nd PP, but on tampa that almost does not matter

This is where I see him, but even with yave's number I don't do this trade.  Not with all the maneuvering they have to do. Again, I tweak; I don't rip it up.  Not for the defensive version of Footpa. 

You guys have to understand, though:  I'm a Chris Pronger burn victim. 

42 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I did a Cartwheel during that trade.

All I saw initially was "Boedker gone" and we did not need to pay someone to take him. After all math is worked out, Wilson actually got multiple draft picks AND someone to take his contract off our hands.

In other news, Wilson also sold a dog crap hamburger to a special ed kid for $47.

• 2 months later...

Jeebus what an underwhelming return. Tierney, Demelo, Norris, Balcers, a 2020 1st, a 2019 2nd, and a conditional 2021 2nd. One other condition is that if Karlsson plays in the East this year, Ottawa gets a 2021 1st (Fool me once, SJ?). 

Ottawa fans need to start a GoFundMe  to buy their team. 

23 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Erik Karlsson traded to the Sharks 

Great trade for the sharks even if Karlsson leaves for Free agency next year I still think it's a good trade and probably why the return was what it was.

1st rd pick in 2019 or 2020, C-Chris Tierny, 2nd rd pick 2019, C-Josh Norris, LW-Rudolfs Balcers and D-Dylan DeMelo going to Ottawa 

Brent Burns AND Erik Karlsson on the same team.

Think about that for a minute.

I am loathe to say ONE man can vault a team to "favorites" status to win their division.....even John Tavares to Toronto still had me at "Well, you still got TB and Bos to deal with", but in this case, the Sharks have always been in the upper echelon in the West...certainly their own division.

Karlsson, IMO, MAKES them instant favorites to win their division.

Barring major health issues to key players on their team (isn't that the way it always is no matter what team you are?), a team with the likes of Pavelski, Couture, Kane, Hertl up front, and Burns, Karlsson anchoring the defense, making even middling type defenders better by playing alongside them...AND Martin Jones backstopping the whole thing....well, they SHOULD be viewed as favorites.

Vegas now has legit competition for that top spot, Calgary should offer some good resistance (maybe), the Oil may be back to the type of team they were when they made their run the year before last (again, maybe), while LA's and Ana's deficiencies may be exploited further with #65 in the division, and Arizona's rise to the top just got that much harder.

Sure, sure..if Karlsson leaves via free agency and the Sharks still don't win it all, San Jose could find themselves somewhat bare on the cupboards for a bit, but for now, if I am @J0e Th0rnton , or anyone who follows the teal n grey, I am doing backflips, handstands, and "nyah, nyah" faces at the rest of the division...maybe even the Conference.

But I think, SJ will try REAL hard to sell Karlsson on staying long term at the Shark Tank.
I mean, real hard.
Means maybe some other players, due to salary, may need to be traded off, and could mean the team would no longer have room for Joe Thornton and his year to year high cap hit, but SJ HAS to try and keep Karlsson long term..

7 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Brent Burns AND Erik Karlsson on the same team.

Think about that for a minute.

I am loathe to say ONE man can vault a team to "favorites" status to win their division.....even John Tavares to Toronto still had me at "Well, you still got TB and Bos to deal with", but in this case, the Sharks have always been in the upper echelon in the West...certainly their own division.

Karlsson, IMO, MAKES them instant favorites to win their division.

Barring major health issues to key players on their team (isn't that the way it always is no matter what team you are?), a team with the likes of Pavelski, Couture, Kane, Hertl up front, and Burns, Karlsson anchoring the defense, making even middling type defenders better by playing alongside them...AND Martin Jones backstopping the whole thing....well, they SHOULD be viewed as favorites.

Vegas now has legit competition for that top spot, Calgary should offer some good resistance (maybe), the Oil may be back to the type of team they were when they made their run the year before last (again, maybe), while LA's and Ana's deficiencies may be exploited further with #65 in the division, and Arizona's rise to the top just got that much harder.

Sure, sure..if Karlsson leaves via free agency and the Sharks still don't win it all, San Jose could find themselves somewhat bare on the cupboards for a bit, but for now, if I am @J0e Th0rnton , or anyone who follows the teal n grey, I am doing backflips, handstands, and "nyah, nyah" faces at the rest of the division...maybe even the Conference.

But I think, SJ will try REAL hard to sell Karlsson on staying long term at the Shark Tank.
I mean, real hard.
Means maybe some other players, due to salary, may need to be traded off, and could mean the team would no longer have room for Joe Thornton and his year to year high cap hit, but SJ HAS to try and keep Karlsson long term..

I just had 2 long shifts in a row and was sleeping when my phone started exploding this afternoon. I have not had a chance to type about it till now. OMGOMGOMG

lol. So for 50-55 minutes a game, the Sharks will have Karlsson or Burns on the ice.

Jumbo joe will take huge discounts to stay with the team so I am not worried :P

Hoping Karlsson lives here a year and starts to love the area and team :)

Archived