Play Pick'em Daily Read more... ×

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
yave1964

2018 - Trade and free agent rumors

19 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I just had 2 long shifts in a row and was sleeping when my phone started exploding this afternoon. I have not had a chance to type about it till now. OMGOMGOMG

lol. So for 50-55 minutes a game, the Sharks will have Karlsson or Burns on the ice.

Jumbo joe will take huge discounts to stay with the team so I am not worried :P

Hoping Karlsson lives here a year and starts to love the area and team :)

Well, if Karlsson is to show the Sens he is better off away from Ottawa, then by all means, he can do it in San Jose and terrorize the Pacific division 😄

That said, and truly, I won't be counting on it, SOME rumors just won't go away that he may want BACK into the Eastern Conference...and that my Bolts may make a play for him then.
I know TB has some big contracts already, but come next season, quite a bit of payroll is going to be dropping off.... Stralman ($4.5M), Coburn ($3.7M), and Girardi ($3M) are all UFA's on the defensive side.
Meanwhile, Ryan Callahan, and his ($5.8M) cap hit will have one year left....Bolts could possibly buy out his last year.

Combine all that with a bump in Cap ceiling and the Bolts have a few almost ready NHL players on both defense and forward chomping at the bit to play with the big club, and there exists a possible scenario where TB could woo Karlsson away from ya'll…  :eyeroll:

But for the here and now, I stand by my statement that San Jose just became the team to beat in the Pacific.
The West too?
Hmm....Nashville, Winnipeg, and MAYBE St. Louis, if Jake can get his head out of his Allen, may have something to say bout that.

And if Karlsson likes it well enough in SJ, you will have the two headed Norris monster on defense for years to come!

Awards

23 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, if Karlsson is to show the Sens he is better off away from Ottawa, then by all means, he can do it in San Jose and terrorize the Pacific division 😄

That said, and truly, I won't be counting on it, SOME rumors just won't go away that he may want BACK into the Eastern Conference...and that my Bolts may make a play for him then.
I know TB has some big contracts already, but come next season, quite a bit of payroll is going to be dropping off.... Stralman ($4.5M), Coburn ($3.7M), and Girardi ($3M) are all UFA's on the defensive side.
Meanwhile, Ryan Callahan, and his ($5.8M) cap hit will have one year left....Bolts could possibly buy out his last year.

Combine all that with a bump in Cap ceiling and the Bolts have a few almost ready NHL players on both defense and forward chomping at the bit to play with the big club, and there exists a possible scenario where TB could woo Karlsson away from ya'll…  :eyeroll:

But for the here and now, I stand by my statement that San Jose just became the team to beat in the Pacific.
The West too?
Hmm....Nashville, Winnipeg, and MAYBE St. Louis, if Jake can get his head out of his Allen, may have something to say bout that.

And if Karlsson likes it well enough in SJ, you will have the two headed Norris monster on defense for years to come!

I am probably the only sharks fan living in East coast Canada and I nearly exploded upon hearing we got Erik Karlsson and gave up no major Roster players. Pacioretti got more of a return than Erik Karlsson and that is crazy.

Jesus ****ing christ.

We will have Burns on 1 pairing for 25 minutes a game and Karlsson on another for 25 minutes a game.

That is nightmarish for opposing coaches to match up against in a way they cannot just line match to deal with. Offensive defensemen of that Caliber tend to tilt the ice the other way regardless of which forwards are on the ice in front of them.

Coaches plan their home ice line matching based on "I want Kopitar covering Thornton's line with Doughty's pairing and Carter covering Couture's line with Doughty and his 2nd partner" since Doughty can play 27-30 minutes a game. But this changes the landscape in unforeseen ways.

Coaches count on the oppositions top offensive Defenseman and top players being tired after a Powerplay and going for a rest on the bench so they can throw out an energy line or rested 2nd line and rest their best defensive Dmen if their top Pkers are their #1 Dman and top two way Center.

If Burns and Karlsson trade up evenly on PP time with even forward lines, one will still be able to come out guns blazing immediately after a Sharks PP with rested forwards while the top checkers are sucking oxygen on the bench.

The higher likelyhood is Vlasic rotates between these two on pairings at ES and is off the PP completely. If Burns just finishes a PP after being on the ice for 1:30 with Thornton/Pavelski/Kane/Hertl, the next line of Couture/Meier/Donskoi hit the ice with a Vlasic/Karlsson pairing and the other team is not able to gain momentum from a successful kill because their top defensive guys are on the bench sucking oxygen while another deadly unit for the Sharks hits the ice tilting it into the offensive zone.

The options the Sharks have to roll with now are pretty gross for an opposing coach to try to match up against. Having 2 Offensive Defensemen is quite a boon to any team. Nashville with Subban + Josi has been tough to play against. Burns/Karlsson is an entire different level of nasty.

Ryan/Burns has been a good pairing. I suspect Vlasic Karlsson will be a match made in heaven. our Bottom pairing is now Dillon/Braun which means no more figuring out who will play between heed/Demelo/whoever

Edited by J0e Th0rnton
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 5:05 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Uh yeah good luck with that....

...might have to pay someone to take him...

I know, right