Dubas and the Draft

hobie

Dubie has been a part of 2 of TO's last 4 drafts and in those 2 TO has traded down.

In 2015 Dubie and Shanny had a trade in place where TO would have traded down from the 4th choice(Marner) for CBJ's #8, #34, #38 and #58. CBJ actually backed out of that trade and they did alright picking Werenski but those other picks ultimately became Travis Dermott, Paul Bittner and Kevin Stenlund. 

Would coming out of a draft with Werenski and Dermott be worth not getting Marner? The other players haven't played a single NHL game.

Do we know for sure that TO would've selected Werenski with the 8th pick, Crouse and Meier were also highly thought of. It seems to me that in most drafts the higher a team can pick the better their chance of picking quality.

3 years later and only 2 players from the 2015 NHL draft 2nd round have played 100 games.

What Dubie did now or then seems like a compulsion or a I'm one of the smartest men in the room rational but is it a good thing?

I understand that the NHL draft is not an exact science, especially in the latter regions of the 1st round but I would hope that TO with it's large scouting dept. and resources can make it less non science than many teams. Dubie's roots come from Junior hockey and in Junior it's probably even harder to make scientific draft choices so lessening the risk of failure with volume probably makes sense.

I think Dubie is still operating with a Junior team's GM's mentality when it comes to the draft. The 2015 draft was a superior draft with many quality NHLers coming from the 1st round but as of now the best 3rd rounder from that draft has played 18 games. 

Like the TSN dudes said during the draft, Dubas is known for analytics, but he is also a rink rat. There is no replacing sitting your arse in a seat and taking in games.....lot's of them. Dubas does that. I think he and his scouts had a list of 5 or so players they liked, maybe two or three they were really aiming for, and took a calculated gamble one of their guys would still be there. Betcha he has a list of 5-7 players who he wants to target with that 3rd rounder.

Smart dude, and he knew what he was getting in Sandin, having close ties to his former team in the Sault. Bet he knew his billets, knew everything about him, and threw that in with the scouting talent part and made his pick. I like the move. 

I have no doubt that Dubie knew Sandin and if he wanted him, valued him so much, why trade down and risk the chance of not being able to draft him?

Why must he always trade down, for a 3rd that will likely never play in the NHL?

2 minutes ago, hobie said:

I have no doubt that Dubie knew Sandin and if he wanted him, valued him so much, why trade down and risk the chance of not being able to draft him?

Why must he always trade down, for a 3rd that will likely never play in the NHL?

I agree with you on 3rd rounders in general. You rarely hit on one that plays, much less makes significant impact. I think Sandin was part of a pack of players they liked, and took a calculated gamble. I guess if Sandin was taken, then they had others they liked as much. I think there was some ego involved, he wanted to declare to the other GM's he was there type of thing.....but in the end, Shanny and the rest of the Leaf scouts must have viewed it as a decent hockey move. We shall see who he picks with this 3rd huh?  He DID hit on Dermott in the 2nd....so you never know.

Yes he did hit on Dermott however by trading down he missed on some other equally capable players or even possible better players like Konecny. By trading out of the 23rd choice in 2015 TO has so far only graduated Dermott and it seems foolish to trade away a high quality player in the 1st round for possibles in later rounds.

2015 was a great draft with quality all over the 1st round and that to me screams trading up to get the best possible quality rather than risking a very possible sure thing to get lots of choices with questionable futures.

How good will Dermott be, we shall see but Konecny is top 6 forward quality as most people felt he would be when he was drafted.

Archived