Sheary and Hunwick donated to the Sabres

The Pens just traded Conor Sheary and defenseman Matt Hunwick to the Sabres for a 4th rounder that could potentially become a third. An obvious salary dump, Sheary is due 3 million for each of the next two years while Hunwick will make 2.25 million a year for the next two seasons.

Sheary had a career year two seasons ago with 23 goals and 53 points and has two rings with the Pens, he slipped badly last year, lost his way a bit and ended up with 18 goals and 30 points and was blanked in the playoffs. I like him, I mean he isn't a star in the making but he is certainly better than the Ghost of Pominville or Moulsen. Hunwick, meh, just a body a typical 7th defender, nothing else. He set career highs in his rookie year ten seasons ago with 6 goals and 27 points and then regressed and has lost all offensive ability but he can defend which is his bread and butter.

Overall, the Penguins probably put to bed any Kessel rumors with this deal, the Sabres got a young middle six winger with a bit of upside in Sheary and a 7th defender for little out of pocket expense, a win for both, IMHO.

On 6/27/2018 at 12:37 PM, yave1964 said:

The Pens just traded Conor Sheary and defenseman Matt Hunwick to the Sabres for a 4th rounder that could potentially become a third. An obvious salary dump, Sheary is due 3 million for each of the next two years while Hunwick will make 2.25 million a year for the next two seasons.

Sheary had a career year two seasons ago with 23 goals and 53 points and has two rings with the Pens, he slipped badly last year, lost his way a bit and ended up with 18 goals and 30 points and was blanked in the playoffs. I like him, I mean he isn't a star in the making but he is certainly better than the Ghost of Pominville or Moulsen. Hunwick, meh, just a body a typical 7th defender, nothing else. He set career highs in his rookie year ten seasons ago with 6 goals and 27 points and then regressed and has lost all offensive ability but he can defend which is his bread and butter.

Overall, the Penguins probably put to bed any Kessel rumors with this deal, the Sabres got a young middle six winger with a bit of upside in Sheary and a 7th defender for little out of pocket expense, a win for both, IMHO.

Its always negative with you any move the Sabres make.  They might just surprise you this year

14 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Its always negative with you any move the Sabres make.  They might just surprise you this year

Errrr...take it easy now, my friend... Yave's post was POSITIVE towards Buffalo.

And for the last time, there ARE NO black helicopters following you!!  😎

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I said Sheary is a nice pick up for little if any cost. How in the hell is that negative? 

Love the title Yave, but you forgot the used bag of puck the Pens got back. 😁 

It's a little of a shame to see Sheary go, but he just could not stay up in the top six for a long period of time this past season.   He is a very energetic player, and will probably fit in well with the high temp that the Sabres play.   Not sure if he will score twenty goals to up the Pens pick, I keep having flash backs to Rob Brown.  Sprong or Simon should easily fill his spot.

Hunwick, could really care less. WAIT, that's not correct, to care less I would have to care at all.    I COULDN'T care less.   He was simply a depth guy on defense, neither defensively nor offensively excelling.

In the end, for the Pens, it was a simple salary dump where they immediately turned the money to resign Rust and Shaheen.

9 hours ago, nossagog said:

It's a little of a shame to see Sheary go, but he just could not stay up in the top six for a long period of time this past season. 

Seriously asking your thought:   Is that because of Sheary necessarily or is it because of the competition for position on the Penguins' roster?   I really kind of want to argue that it's the latter but haven't seen enough Penguins to insist on it.

56 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Negative with the words you used.

That was about the "donate to," right?   Yeah, it has that read, but really, the Sabres got the two players really for nothing.  There may have been a Cracker Barrell coupon thrown in there (not even Applebees!!!).   So "donate to" is actually an objective description when you think about it.

The Pens got their salary dump and, particularly in Sheary, Buffalo got a good player I think.   He took a little bit of a step backward this past season, but it still was only his 3rd season.   If you can get the 50+ point guy with 23 goals for the steal you did, you're doing great.   Botterill has legitimately had a pretty good offseason, I think.  I'm not a big fan of your 2nd round pick (Samelsson) but any pick there is a crap shoot so only time will tell.

I think the Sabres brought Nylander along too fast (he could still do well), but Sheary could left wing for any of O'Reilly, Eichel, or Mittelstadt and you're doing well.   

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

That was about the "donate to," right?   Yeah, it has that read, but really, the Sabres got the two players really for nothing.  There may have been a Cracker Barrell coupon thrown in there (not even Applebees!!!).   So "donate to" is actually an objective description when you think about it.

The Pens got their salary dump and, particularly in Sheary, Buffalo got a good player I think.   He took a little bit of a step backward this past season, but it still was only his 3rd season.   If you can get the 50+ point guy with 23 goals for the steal you did, you're doing great.   Botterill has legitimately had a pretty good offseason, I think.  I'm not a big fan of your 2nd round pick (Samelsson) but any pick there is a crap shoot so only time will tell.

I think the Sabres brought Nylander along too fast (he could still do well), but Sheary could left wing for any of O'Reilly, Eichel, or Mittelstadt and you're doing well.   

Go check out this deal we got for Ryan O'Reilly.  Great!!!!  IMO.  Berglund!!!  Sabovtka.  another player I do not know and a first and second round draft pick.  Botterill did well

11 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Go check out this deal we got for Ryan O'Reilly.  Great!!!!  IMO.  Berglund!!!  Sabovtka.  another player I do not know and a first and second round draft pick.  Botterill did well

Did that just go up?   Holy crap.  I hadn't seen taht.

I'll leave the Blues' side out of this because I'm not quite sure what they're doing.   They seem like they're going all in, but honestly, they still have the wrong goaltender.

I don't know enough about Thompson.  But with Berglund and Subotka, you may have just remade your 3rd line.  I guess Eichel becomes 1C and Mittelstadt goes to 2C (or Berglund  fills in at 2C until Mittelstadt is comfortable).  

Interesting.  And you get another first rounder next year and a 2nd later.  That's a pretty good haul.  And you still have $13M in cap space if Botterill isn't done yet.      Yeah, that'll work.

8 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Negative with the words you used.

If anything it was a rip on the Penguins who got next to nothing for a top six winger, the Sabres got a usable forwad in Sheary and the Penguins got nothing but cap relief in return. The 'donate' was more of a rip on the Penguins.

GREAT trade for your boys last night. Berglund is a solid 3C, Sobotka is a third liner as well and both are among the games best defensive forwards, Tage Thompson has been pushed out because of a few others who they added but is a legit prospect. Plus picks. Wow. Great deal for your team.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

If anything it was a rip on the Penguins who got next to nothing for a top six winger, the Sabres got a usable forwad in Sheary and the Penguins got nothing but cap relief in return. The 'donate' was more of a rip on the Penguins.

GREAT trade for your boys last night. Berglund is a solid 3C, Sobotka is a third liner as well and both are among the games best defensive forwards, Tage Thompson has been pushed out because of a few others who they added but is a legit prospect. Plus picks. Wow. Great deal for your team.

Yes I cannot believe the return.  Its absolutely incredible that Botterill got them to  go for that. And the draft picks to boot?  Unreal.  St Louis is my second fav team so this is all  very strange. Its good they have become "friends" kind of like the Bills and Eagles on the trading block end of things.

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Did that just go up?   Holy crap.  I hadn't seen taht.

I'll leave the Blues' side out of this because I'm not quite sure what they're doing.   They seem like they're going all in, but honestly, they still have the wrong goaltender.

I don't know enough about Thompson.  But with him and Subotka, you may have just remade your 3rd line.  I guess Eichel becomes 1C and Mittelstadt goes to 2C (or Berglund  fills in at 2C until Mittelstadt is comfortable).  

Interesting.  And you get another first rounder next year and a 2nd later.  That's a pretty good haul.  And you still have $13M in cap space if Botterill isn't done yet.      Yeah, that'll work.

Its incredible to me what we got for him. I have always loved Bergland as you know from my fantasy drafts here.  I have always said he is one of the most underated players in the NHL.  He can score.  With Eichel on a power play? Who knows. And I wonder just what the power play unit will look like?  Will he use Dahlin and Risto together or split them?  As they are both likely quarterback type defensemen?  But having them both out there at the same time gives you two all star caliber defensemen to shoot the puck.  Look out. I just wish we had someone other than freakin Houseley, who I loved as a player for years behind the bench.  Sure I wish Ruff was there instead.  Ruff could get this team into the playoffs next year. I am not sure Houseley is the guy.  But he survived it seems a horrible season.  Now he has no excuses.  He has a goalie also. 

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, ruxpin said:

Seriously asking your thought:   Is that because of Sheary necessarily or is it because of the competition for position on the Penguins' roster?   I really kind of want to argue that it's the latter but haven't seen enough Penguins to insist on it.

Sheary is an undersized forward who used his speed to his advantage.  That's the mold for teams like the Pens, use speed on the defense.   As a Pens fan, I liked that in him, when he used it.   He sometimes went into funks where it did not look like he was giving 100%.  When that happens to a player like that, it really shows.

His speed matched up with Sid's game well, which is why he played many times on Crosby's wing.   

The competition for a roster spot is ALWAYS a focus with players like him.   And the Pens have Daniel Sprong and Dominic Simon coming up next year who can fill that same spot.  And maybe these guys will recognize that if you don't give that 100% all the time, you lose your spot.

If Sheary would have had another good year, $3M/yr wouldn't have been a bad thing.  But his totals went down last season, while playing a lot of time on Sids wing.   With the coming of Guentzel, that pushed him down to the third line this year, which he did not do well at without Sid feeding him.

There's still a lot of up side to him, which is the reason for my feelings.   But he needs more consistancy. He'll never be a star player, but he CAN play with one.

Archived