Pens to sign Jack Johnson

hf101

The Pittsburgh Penguins intend to sign pending unrestricted free-agent Jack Johnson to a five-year contract that will be in the $16-million range, Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Wednesday.

Ooff.. Too much for too long.

Johnson didn't get along with Torts which meh, you really cannot hold that against him or you would have to hold it against half the players who have played for him over the years but he has been a very average defenseman for several years, his offense is nothing anymore, he has slowed down considerably and was a healthy scratch down the stretch and for the playoffs. 

He is getting signed as a favor to Crosby, plain and simple and really 3.2 million a year isn't a bad deal it is the term. I seriously don't think he makes it through the term of the deal. A bit better than Hunwick I guess but the Pens were unhappy with Cole last year and moved out, Johnson was a healthy scratch so the CBJ could let Cole play. 

Dam....I was hoping the Minnesota Wild looked into signing Jack Johnson.

He may NOT be the fastest guy on defense anymore, but he does bring to the table something the Wild seriously lack :  Grit from the blue line.
Minnesota simply does not have that big hitter from the defense since Scandella and Clayton Stoner.

Ahh, well...as was already mentioned...the AAV isn't terrible, but the term may bite the Pens in the long run.

But you know, for now, Pittsburgh picked up a pretty decent defender who is sure to leave a few broken bodies along the way.....not like he has to play top pair minutes in Pittsburgh.....

Could be the Pens next recovery project.   Look at how Shultz has transformed after he arrived here.   Not sure I like the term of the contract early on, but I'm sure Johnson pushed this as far as he could get. 

3 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Could be the Pens next recovery project.   Look at how Shultz has transformed after he arrived here.   Not sure I like the term of the contract early on, but I'm sure Johnson pushed this as far as he could get. 

Johnson is 33 Schultz was mid twenties huge difference in age and situations Corsi ranks him as among the worst over the past five years 54th among 57 dmen who appeared in as many games as Johnson has.  Crosby best friend which is a terrible reason for signing someone 

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Johnson is 33 Schultz was mid twenties huge difference in age and situations Corsi ranks him as among the worst over the past five years 54th among 57 dmen who appeared in as many games as Johnson has.  Crosby best friend which is a terrible reason for signing someone 

I think that the Pens were looking for someone, ANYONE, who could add a little physical play on the blue line.   Their current blue line is not physical at all. The whole, "The Pens signed him because he's Crosby's friend" is a non story IMHO.

38 minutes ago, nossagog said:

I think that the Pens were looking for someone, ANYONE, who could add a little physical play on the blue line.   Their current blue line is not physical at all. The whole, "The Pens signed him because he's Crosby's friend" is a non story IMHO.

Johnson is better than Hunwick by a mile.  Sheahan is a solid 4c who can bump up a line when needed to.  That plus a pick for sheary is a win so I get it mostly I hate the term.

On 6/28/2018 at 10:22 AM, nossagog said:

I have to give the powers-that-be on the Pens the benefit of the doubt here for that reason. Cole. Schultz. Daley. Oleksiak.  All thought to be "bad" to "what were they thinking?" moves and they all worked out...really well. I love the annual hit on Schultz. Hate the term but at the end of the day when this deal is up the Pens could easily be a hot rebuilding mess as the core will all be 36-37 at point. What's 1 more aged veteran at that point if it helps win another Cup in the meantime. It's a contender's deal - plain and simple.

Just heard from a friend in the 'burgh.   Johnson deal is a go.   And the Pens are also rumored to have signed Matt Cullen to a one year deal for $650K

https://triblive.com/sports/penguins/13822435-85/2-time-stanley-cup-champion-matt-cullen-returns-to-penguins-on-1-year-contract

https://triblive.com/sports/penguins/13822019-85/penguins-bring-in-jack-johnson-on-five-year-deal

Two solid signings.

Jack Johnson would have been a welcome addition to MANY teams' 2nd or bottom pairing.  At just over a 3M cap hit, the Pens are getting a pretty rugged blue liner who does really well with controlling and maintaining possession of the puck (I.E. doesn't have too many instances of stupid giveaways), albeit it, his skating isn't elite fast.

Term might be problematic for Pittsburgh in the final two years, but I think the Pens will worry about that when and if that comes to pass.

Cullen?

What can I say bout him that people don't already know?

The ageless wonder who makes ANYONE'S bottom six immediately better and smarter.

As long as the guy wants to keep playing, he keeps himself in great playing shape, he will contribute in not only eating ice time, but can STILL chip in some scoring and playmaking for the grinders he is sure to be playing with.

And at the NHL minimum wage of 650K? Can't ask for a better deal than that.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:45 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Two solid signings.

Jack Johnson would have been a welcome addition to MANY teams' 2nd or bottom pairing.  At just over a 3M cap hit, the Pens are getting a pretty rugged blue liner who does really well with controlling and maintaining possession of the puck (I.E. doesn't have too many instances of stupid giveaways), albeit it, his skating isn't elite fast.

Term might be problematic for Pittsburgh in the final two years, but I think the Pens will worry about that when and if that comes to pass.

Cullen?

What can I say bout him that people don't already know?

The ageless wonder who makes ANYONE'S bottom six immediately better and smarter.

As long as the guy wants to keep playing, he keeps himself in great playing shape, he will contribute in not only eating ice time, but can STILL chip in some scoring and playmaking for the grinders he is sure to be playing with.

And at the NHL minimum wage of 650K? Can't ask for a better deal than that.

The other thing with Cullen, let him teach the young guys.  Show them what it takes to play into your 40s.  Maybe he'll role right into the organizations system after he retires as a coach or scout.

• 3 months later...
On 7/2/2018 at 8:05 PM, nossagog said:

The other thing with Cullen, let him teach the young guys.  Show them what it takes to play into your 40s.  Maybe he'll role right into the organizations system after he retires as a coach or scout.

I would like to see him as a dman coach with some input on scouting.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, Hockey-78 said:

So how has Johnson been doing in the first 6 games? Living up to expectations?

He's been doing fine so far. Learning a new system is always a process,  especially when the system supplies you with opportunities on  the offensive side(the Pens free their D to join the rush more than most teams) that you haven't before.  I'm sure that this added another dimension to learning to trust your forwards a lot more when you push into the offense and they need to cover.  

And as I've mentioned before, it's great to see some of his physical play too 

Archived