Hockey Day Minnesota 2019

Gnarkill

I figured I would make this topic well in advance to see if anyone is planning on making the trip to Bemidji for hockey day MN 2019! I live in Bemidji and I'm planning on being around during the games and then probably a local watering hole later on in the evening if anyone wants to say hello or grab a beer and put a face to the screen name! 

5 hours ago, Antti_Laxative said:

I'll be there...but can we have summer first😁

Buffett ( my 32 time) and Eagles (my second....the other time being in 1978 outdoors also at Met Stadium with Pablo Cruise and Steve Miller Band) tonight 

fine.. I suppose 😂 I could do without this humidity though! I happened to drive by the spot yesterday where the outdoor rink is going to be built for HDM and they're already leveling the ground and getting preparations ready so I was just a bit excited after seeing that! haha

Ohhh Ahhh... Speaking of Hockey Day Minnesota, last night in Clearwater MN at the Holiday gas station someone was wearing a 2018 (gosh or was it 2017) Hockey Day Minnesota t-shirt. I almost approached him to drop the message board by him to see if he was one of us here.

Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

BTW, I was in a black t-shirt with some orange graphics, a Dustin Nelson #46 racing shirt. 😎

@rottenrefs Wait that was you. LOL just kidding but we go by there every time we go up to our cabin. We used to always cut across in Clearwater to go from 94 to 10 but lately have been cutting across on 15, as we'll usually stop and eat around there and since there are many more options for food if you cut across on 15 we now usually take that route so I do know the area well. Now though I have never stopped at the DQ there I know someone who has and they said don't ever go there as the service is horrible. He said it took like 10-20 minutes just to get a blizzard or something crazy and they were like the only ones there.

I was just down there a few weeks ago on the way to visit family near Annandale! we stay stocked up on different kinds of the "fritter bread" from the truck stop holiday(nelson bros) station because it makes amazing french toast! 

@bbgarnett I haven't heard much on the DQ in Clearwater, we have one in Annandale year round. 😁

About 2-3 weeks ago MNdot was redoing Hwy 24 from Clearwater to Clear Lake and the whole place was a huge mess. 20-30 minute waits by flagmen during that. It was terrible.

35 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

@rottenrefs yeah they've been working on that for a while now over a year I think. They were replacing the bridge and yeah it's been terrible. It's also another reason we started to cut over to 10  using 15 as it was just a mess.

The bridge was done without much dofficulty to traffic. A few weeks ago though they tore up a layer of tar and replaced it. That was a crappy effort by not posting any detours.

On 7/1/2018 at 2:26 PM, Gnarkill said:

Interesting to see Andover get the call for boys hockey.  Greenway gave Hermantown its first real challenge in the section final they've had in probably about a decade.  

Watch it every year from down here...  Last year they did an expose on some of the refs - low and behold one of my old grade school neighbors that haven't seen in probably 30 years...  I've always really enjoyed HDM and all the interesting facts/stories they do as fillers...

Elk River's in 2014 was pretty awesome, and that's the only one I've attended.  They do a great job to make it a huge event with far more things going on than what you see on TV itself.  They have other community games, etc in between the big televised HS games. 

I am sure it will be great at Bemidji.  The only one where it was sort of a downer was Lake Minnetonka due to the weather, but beyond that...its normally been a real treat.    

I haven't gotten the chance to attend one yet! so I'm pretty stoked! should be a good time! I will warn everyone(and I'm sure @Antti_Laxative knows this) but Bemidji is kind of limited hotel/motel wise and I'm guessing they're going to fill up fast with all of the teams, fans and tv personnel and all of that!! so if you're planning on the trip don't wait until a week before to make arrangements! If any of you guys have any questions about anything relating to the area feel free to send me a PM on here if you want and I'll try to answer it! I try to check it every few days at the least.

and for sure Antti! Go Beavs! 😁 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived