Hockey Day Minnesota 2019

Gnarkill

• 3 weeks later...

Outdoor games start today! I have to work this evening so I won't make it but I believe its one of the HS girls teams at 4:30 and then a HS Boys game following.. not sure if its varsity or jv teams but I don't believe they're charging for the games today and people can just go watch and check out the setup! 

for those coming to Btown make sure to bring extra layers! looks like we'll be watching some outdoor puck in sub-zero temps!

3 hours ago, Gnarkill said:

Outdoor games start today! I have to work this evening so I won't make it but I believe its one of the HS girls teams at 4:30 and then a HS Boys game following.. not sure if its varsity or jv teams but I don't believe they're charging for the games today and people can just go watch and check out the setup! 

for those coming to Btown make sure to bring extra layers! looks like we'll be watching some outdoor puck in sub-zero temps!

Perfect for the event. Too many times it has been iffy ice due to warm temps

I had a chance to swing by and catch a little bit of the Girls JV HS team tilt vs Woodbury yesterday evening on my break! pretty sweet setup! this should be a fun weekend! good bands too! Johnny Holm is always good and Corey Medina & Brothers are very good local guys!

be on the look out for a bigger 6'1" guy with a big brown beard if you're coming up! I'll be wearing a #8 Bemidji Lumberjacks home jersey tonight, Matt Read BSU home jersey tomorrow night and a Gary Sargent North Stars home jersey on Saturday! I probably won't be checking the forums much this weekend as there's going to be so much to do around town!

Johnny Holm, a Minnesota cover band institution!  Pretty good games.  I thought Andover may be able to beat Minnetonka as the Skippers started out pretty slow.  But Andover decided to swap out goalies for each period to give them that experience and I think it cost them.  Skippers started to impose their will and they stayed undefeated.  

Greenway reminded me a lot of the Wild.  Some great chances, but just couldn't buy a goal and Bemidji won 3-0.  

Between Bemidji State and Minnesota State, the better team won IMO.  Minnesota State was faster and moved the puck better and they prevailed 2-1.  

Overall the ice quality seemed to be pretty good.  The Greenway / Bemidji game was very fast paced.  Although I noticed there did not seem to be as many people out and about as I have in past years; at least it seemed that way on TV.  Also, what happened with the apartment fire that was nearby the HDM set up?  Was it the new apartments?  

heres a couple articles from the local paper first one on early attendance figures:

https://www.bemidjipioneer.com/news/4560494-more-13000-attend-hockey-day-three-day-event-brings-fans

and here's one about the fire that was over in the Nymore area a couple blocks away it wasn't the new apartments and I think the building has been around since before my family moved here when I was a kid and I haven't seen anything stating what the cause of it was yet but hopefully the update the article with it when the investigation is done:

https://www.bemidjipioneer.com/news/4560160-fire-ice-officials-still-investigating-cause-nymore-fire

Archived