Wilds free agent signings

yave1964

Still two hours before the official signings can occur but the Wild have three moves in place so far as they tweak their roster.

Greg Pateryn is signing on a three year deal at 2.25 million per, he was the number six guy with the Stars last year a stay at home guy who is sound defensively with absolutely zero puck skills. The signing is not bad but the term and money seem a bit curious.

Eric Fehr is coming aboard to play 4th line minutes and kill penalties, if he makes the team.

Andrew Hammond is signing to play at Iowa or to push Stalock as the backup goaltender. 

Nothing earth shattering just a few sound depth moves addressing need.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay seriously wtf....

Two more

JT Brown brings his speed but lack of skill to the forward lines.

Matt Bartkowski is the 7th defenseman coming over from Calgary

So

Brown

Bartkowski

Pateryn

Fehr

Hammond

Hendricks

Not sure what they are doing.

4 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

okay seriously wtf....

Two more

JT Brown brings his speed but lack of skill to the forward lines.

Matt Bartkowski is the 7th defenseman coming over from Calgary

So

Brown

Bartkowski

Pateryn

Fehr

Hammond

Hendricks

Not sure what they are doing.

They needed another goaltender, and Hammond has NHL experience, so he can push Stalock for the backup or be a solid starter in Iowa with the Finlander. I'm good with that.

Hendricks, Bartkowski and Pateryn all have one thing in common: they hit people, something the Wild never do.

14 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

They needed another goaltender, and Hammond has NHL experience, so he can push Stalock for the backup or be a solid starter in Iowa with the Finlander. I'm good with that.

Hendricks, Bartkowski and Pateryn all have one thing in common: they hit people, something the Wild never do.

OK. that makes more sense than what I thought was going on which involved a blindfold and a dart board, lol. 

I remember a few years ago the Wings went through that, we went out and added Witkowski and Abdelkader and Mantha started taking up that role, it does make a difference when you hold the other teams accountable and do not allow them to take liberties.

7 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

OK. that makes more sense than what I thought was going on which involved a blindfold and a dart board, lol. 

I remember a few years ago the Wings went through that, we went out and added Witkowski and Abdelkader and Mantha started taking up that role, it does make a difference when you hold the other teams accountable and do not allow them to take liberties.

The Wild have been last in hits for three out of the last five seasons. And when they weren't last, they were second to last. And I recognize "Hits" is a subjective stat, but anyone that follows the Wild knows that this team is soft as butter. 

47 minutes ago, Valentine1618 said:

Well I don’t mind signing defense that won’t just brush by people. I do though still really want Zucker and Fenton to come to terms. 

Zucker is a restricted free agent and the Wild has made a qualifying offer to him. So there is no rush to negotiate. They have until August 1 to come to terms.

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Contrary to GM's Koivu, Suter, Parise and their puppet Fletcher... It doesn't do the team any good to have every single player on the ice contending for their princess on ice routines. Likewise not every single scoring attempt needs to be a picture perfect score.

The team's gotta have several passionate meatheads too.

4 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

Contrary to GM's Koivu, Suter, Parise and their puppet Fletcher... It doesn't do the team any good to have every single player on the ice contending for their princess on ice routines. Likewise not every single scoring attempt needs to be a picture perfect score.

The team's gotta have several passionate meatheads too.

The team has tried to beef up on toughness over the years, but their solution is always to add one tough guy/irritant via free agency. To me, this is the equivalent of putting a fart can, automotive stickers, and a spoiler on a 1998 Honda Civic and acting like it's ready for NASCAR...

Not really sure who people were really expecting the Wild would sign. With the current contracts in place and the amount of cap space the Wild have, the top 6/9 forwards and top 3-4 defensemen are pretty much set. I'm not saying they're a great set of forwards and defensemen but I personally wasn't expecting any big wholesale changes.

Next summer, after Fenton has had a year to evaluate all of the players (and coaching staff), I would expect more of a shakeup to the roster.

I'm not mad at any of these signings.. nothing major but nothing that looks like they doled out a ridiculous amount for any of them. All reasonable and could have a bit of upside and I like the fact that I've seen some of them play a really physical game.

Russo said that "leaves the Wild with $14m+" so if they aren't involved in trades that covers Zucker and Dumba too. I'm wondering if we'll see a trade or two yet to shake up the main roster a bit more.

40 minutes ago, Gnarkill said:

I'm not mad at any of these signings.. nothing major but nothing that looks like they doled out a ridiculous amount for any of them. All reasonable and could have a bit of upside and I like the fact that I've seen some of them play a really physical game.

Russo said that "leaves the Wild with $14m+" so if they aren't involved in trades that covers Zucker and Dumba too. I'm wondering if we'll see a trade or two yet to shake up the main roster a bit more.

I kind of wonder if this is going to be an evaluation year. What would this team have done with a healthy Coyle and Neiderreitter last season? What if Spurgeon and Suter hadn't gotten hurt going into the Playoffs?

I'm not saying that the Wild would have gotten by the Jets with everyone in place and healthy. But who knows? Both Coyle and Neiderreitter have increased their point totals every year they've been in the league. If they are healthy this season, do they produce more? I don't think you'll get much for Coyle tradewise after last season, and it sounds like GM's are shying away from Neiderreitters price tag. So why not keep them and see what happens and then make big changes next season...

Mostly "blah" moves, but I wasn't expecting any fireworks with the Wild's cap situation being the way it is. I do like the Seeler re-up: we need what he brings to the table, and the price tag looks reasonable.

Paul Stastny to Vegas makes the Knights look scary. They're not messing around, but maybe they'll be less inclined now to make Zucker a Wild-can't-match-this offer.

Moves that strengthen our bottom lines and Iowa. Not bad. I especially like JT Browns attitude:

"Let's be real, not everybody can be a superstar,” he said. “There’s only so many to go around. Most importantly is I wanted to play in this league. I made sure that I did what I had to in the situations that I was in to make sure I stayed here. For me, I wouldn’t say it was very difficult because I knew what my end goal was. I wanted to play in the NHL and I wanted to stay there. It was about being open and willing to do whatever it took to stay there."

(Quote from The Athletic)

👍

In the end, these are minor 'tweaks' to enhance some on-ice aggressiveness.  The question I have, aside from WTF they are going to do to 'move forward, versus stand still or slide further backward,' is how long it will take for the Three Princesses to strongly encourage these new additions to 'tone it down' and play their way (hit no one, develop a vj, and never 'one up' the Faces of the Franchise).  It doesn't matter who they bring in, or draft - CL's three on-ice GMs will change the game play of anyone who plays with grit.  

6 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

In the end, these are minor 'tweaks' to enhance some on-ice aggressiveness.  The question I have, aside from WTF they are going to do to 'move forward, versus stand still or slide further backward,' is how long it will take for the Three Princesses to strongly encourage these new additions to 'tone it down' and play their way (hit no one, develop a vj, and never 'one up' the Faces of the Franchise).  It doesn't matter who they bring in, or draft - CL's three on-ice GMs will change the game play of anyone who plays with grit.  

So you changed your mind and now agree with what I said about 4 years ago?

These are horrible signings. Patyern is not even a guaranteed NHL dman from my point of view, the money and term are laughable. How about you take all the money given out on these tragic deals and sign James Neal....you know, somebody who can shake up the top 6....contribute goals and pp efficiency??  If I'm a Wild fan, I'm pissed. 

Edit....not that the Wild are goal starved, but sign a Neal or Maroon and you help team depth, make the top 6 spots competitive, non guaranteed type of thing....better than this group from the Island of Misfit toys!!

38 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

These are horrible signings. Patyern is not even a guaranteed NHL dman from my point of view, the money and term are laughable. How about you take all the money given out on these tragic deals and sign James Neal....you know, somebody who can shake up the top 6....contribute goals and pp efficiency??  If I'm a Wild fan, I'm pissed. 

Apparently you don't follow the Wild much. In order for any player to play in the top six, they need a permission slip signed in triplicate by Mikko Koivu, Zach Parise and Ryan Suter.

Seriously though, the Wild weren't going to do much free agent-wise this season. This was expected. They just don't have the money. And the owner has deluded himself into thinking that the team is just a few "tweaks" away from a Stanley Cup...

10 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Apparently you don't follow the Wild much. In order for any player to play in the top six, they need a permission slip signed in triplicate by Mikko Koivu, Zach Parise and Ryan Suter.

Seriously though, the Wild weren't going to do much free agent-wise this season. This was expected. They just don't have the money. And the owner has deluded himself into thinking that the team is just a few "tweaks" away from a Stanley Cup...

ha ha....a few tweaks....one year away.....the ol' rally cry from the Wild for a decade now?  Hell, I would rather sign Hutton to challange Dubnyk than this group of guys. Not sure if some of the smaller signings are guaranteed or two way....but seems to me, group them all up and get something of substance.....Fehr, Pateryn.....pfffft. 

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

ha ha....a few tweaks....one year away.....the ol' rally cry from the Wild for a decade now?  Hell, I would rather sign Hutton to challange Dubnyk than this group of guys. Not sure if some of the smaller signings are guaranteed or two way....but seems to me, group them all up and get something of substance.....Fehr, Pateryn.....pfffft. 

The Wild rally cry? That's the rally cry of EVERY Minnesota team! 🤣

Doesn't matter who this team adds, they just aren't Playoff material. This team is not mentally tough. There is no leadership on the team.

And they do this every season. Make a few changes to the third and fourth lines by adding tough guys, picking up a #6 or #7 tough guy defenseman and then proclaiming that THIS is the year...

Truly, this team needs a rebuild. But I wouldn't trust the scouts any farther than I can throw them. Everyone saw what gem they landed in the first round. I'd hate to see those clowns with the opportunity at a top three pick...

Archived