Who is left?

The day of days is winding down, no significant trades just a bunch of signings led by Tavares, JVR, Bozak, ect….. A quick look at what is left

1) jAMESNEAL 20 or more goals a year for a decade, supposedly the Sharks are eying him.

2)JUMBO JOE Well if the Sharks couldn't lure one JT into the fold, it is a matter of convincing this JT to come back for another year.

3)PATRICK MAROON Flames are high after him solid third liner.

4) CALVIN DE HAAN the best defenseman left by far.

5) TOBIAS ENSTROM more shadow than substance but he is still capable of being a decent bottom pair and PK guy.

6) ANTHONY DUCLAIR half a dozen teams linked to him wants a middle six role.

7) ROBIN LEHNER the best goalie available. The Islanders have been mentioned.

ALSO: 

forwards Versteeg, Wingels, Ward, Vermette, Chiasson and Letestu

Defenseman Bieksa, Gorges, Schenn and Sbisa

Goalie Lehtonen.

So Neal and an old fart in Thornton, De Haan will make someones top four and a bunch of over the hill vets and suspect younger players. 

Let the trades begin!

9 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

The day of days is winding down, no significant trades just a bunch of signings led by Tavares, JVR, Bozak, ect….. A quick look at what is left

1) jAMESNEAL 20 or more goals a year for a decade, supposedly the Sharks are eying him.

2)JUMBO JOE Well if the Sharks couldn't lure one JT into the fold, it is a matter of convincing this JT to come back for another year.

3)PATRICK MAROON Flames are high after him solid third liner.

4) CALVIN DE HAAN the best defenseman left by far.

5) TOBIAS ENSTROM more shadow than substance but he is still capable of being a decent bottom pair and PK guy.

6) ANTHONY DUCLAIR half a dozen teams linked to him wants a middle six role.

7) ROBIN LEHNER the best goalie available. The Islanders have been mentioned.

ALSO: 

forwards Versteeg, Wingels, Ward, Vermette, Chiasson and Letestu

Defenseman Bieksa, Gorges, Schenn and Sbisa

Goalie Lehtonen.

So Neal and an old fart in Thornton, De Haan will make someones top four and a bunch of over the hill vets and suspect younger players. 

Let the trades begin!

What?? No Steve Mason on that list??? :hehe:

Hmm....James Neal, for the right price....maybe a three year deal could help a team out.

Not sure if Yzerman would be inclinded to sign a guy of Neal's reputation (we all know that he is a good player but still....an a-hole when he sets his mind to it), or whether Yzerman CAN sign a guy like him, but he is still just 30, still has offensive instincts, has a Cup ring, and has the experience to show younger players how to play hockey NOT involving taking out players' limbs....

Robin Lehner may make a decent back up for a contender.  Let the guy play about 30 games max, and again, if the numbers, especially term, are right, I think he can alleviate the workload on a steady #1 goalie somewhere.

On defense, I really believe a guy like Luke Schenn, who should NOT be that expensive to sign, can help a team in search of a rugged hitter who, IMO, actually has gotten a bit better in his defensive coverage and decision making.

Watched a number of Yotes games this past season, and honestly, Schenn played a decent brand of defense while being a terror for skaters looking to waltz into the offensive zone...……….and this was playing for a Yotes team that was TERRIBLE defensively.

2ND/3RD pairing minutes? Yea, I think he can do that.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Interesting signing by your boys today, McDonough for 7 years pretty much said they are out of the Karlsson equation as well. I have long been a fan of McDonough, he is my kind of defenseman, defense first but can push the puck, just wish he wasn't hurt so often. 

Yeah Neal. Supposedly he turned down 5/5 million from Vegas which surprises me as he seemed such a good fit there. Clearly looking for one final payday, hence he is still out there. He may rue turning the Knights offer down.

Just now, yave1964 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Interesting signing by your boys today, McDonough for 7 years pretty much said they are out of the Karlsson equation as well. I have long been a fan of McDonough, he is my kind of defenseman, defense first but can push the puck, just wish he wasn't hurt so often. 

Yeah Neal. Supposedly he turned down 5/5 million from Vegas which surprises me as he seemed such a good fit there. Clearly looking for one final payday, hence he is still out there. He may rue turning the Knights offer down.

Not surprised the Lightning re-signed Ryan McDonagh.

I mean, just like JT Miller, the Bolts needed to make sure (and in truth, I think Yzerman already made up his mind about trying to keep them) that the trade they made for those guys were for more than just a season or two.

Question was always "What will be the price tag?"

Apparently, the TB GM thought they were worth what he is paying them.....Miller, I have no qualms about at all. Just a solid guy who can play any top six position equally well and brings with him a bit of an edge absent from most TB forwards.

McDonagh? Well, the price isn't terrible....borderline high...but ONLY, like you said, because of his injury history.

Term? Well, like many long term signings, seems the Bolts are willing to deal with the devil when the time comes.

Love his play, as you do, and even though he faltered at times during the season and in the playoffs, I think a full training camp and exhibition season with the Lightning, knowing a bit more about the team dynamics and the coaching staffs expectations and style, he should do better as a Lightning defenseman...…..again, provided he can stay on the ice.

This long term signing of McDonagh, along with big paydays coming up for Kucherov, and possibly Vasilevskiy once his deal is up in two seasons, AND with the imminent approach of some defensemen in the minors (namely Cal Foote), and the continued development of Sergachev, surely means guys like Ryan Callahan, Dan Girardi, and Brayden Coburn are done as Bolts players once their contracts expire (this coming season for Coburn and Girardi) and next season for Callahan.

Also, will be interesting to see how all this affect Anton Stralman whose deal is up after this coming season as well.

As for Neal, yea, he had a good thing going in Vegas. Not sure why he wouldn't take the $25M offered by Vegas....would have taken him to age 35 playing on what SHOULD be a continued contender.

Like you said though...probably looking for that last big payday..... Sadly, I think some GM out there might actually overpay for his services.....
I DID say I think he could help a team....but given his injury history, he COULD fall off the map at any time, and any large investment in him is very dangerous.  5M/5yrs seemed about right.

Neal is linked to San Jose right now, I got to thinking earlier, @TropicalFruitGirl26 can you imagine playing against a line with he and Kane? First off both can score, second you better have your head on a swivel. I kinda hope he ends up there just to see the fear in the other teams eyes as those two idiots come flying down the ice, lol.

https://www.wivb.com/sports/buffalo-sabres/report-sabres-trade-ryan-o-reilly-to-the-blues/1277750783

REPORT: Sabres trade Ryan O'Reilly to the Blues

No details yet ...

Archived