O'Reilly traded to the Blues

pilldoc

30 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Ryan was number 2 in NHL in faceoff win percentage!!!  Will have a big shot to hoist the Cup on a tremendous Blues team

When are they ever going to get a good goalie?

Not sure why they under value one of the most important parts on the team....reminds me of the Flyers....either they under value it or over value the guys they have to play goal.

And don't lie and make excuses...

23 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I think a bit more of the Sabres moves than you do, Mittelstadt looks like a real comer who at the least needs to be a 3C but they hope he is a 2C, I agree that Sobotka and Berglund are just a couple of nice complimentary pieces and Sheary is about the same but they have been throwing Mouslon, Gionta and Pomminville out there, the new trio is a huge improvement over that paycheck stealing grouping. Thompson is a solid prospect, a lot better than O'Regan in the Kane deal, lol and the picks have to hit but when you are 31st there is nowhere to go but up. 

Maybe I'm being a grump, so I'm not trying to poo-poo everything they did, because I pretty much agree with what you're saying here.  I *do* think they came out of this week improved. My issue is that a trade like this simultaneously lowers the ceiling at the same time as it raises the floor. It's those picks for me. With that 1-st round pick, they only have about a 25% chance of getting a top-6 forward, and the 2nd rounder's chances drop to about 10%.

I think they were in a tough spot. O'Reilly wanted out, and guys like him are tough to replace.

8 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Ryan was number 2 in NHL in faceoff win percentage!!!  Will have a big shot to hoist the Cup on a tremendous Blues team

What really does make that all the more impressive is that he took almost 200 more faceoffs than the second most player (Crosby) and 1100 more than the guy (Vermette) who tied him in percentage (or slightly beat him).    So he took a TON of faceoffs and won 60% of them.   That's nuts.

Giroux was right behind him at 58.6% but also took over 1000 less faceoffs.  The weird thing is that beside Eichel (836 and a horrible 41.5% --that's not a concern yet, he's still really young and sometimes that comes later) it's almost as if no one else took draws.  Larsson was the only other Sabre with a better than 50% draw (54.5%) but on 639 draws.

Without watching a lot of Sabres games, I'm guessing O'Reilly took so many because he was really the only guy Housley trusted.

The problem in Buffalo is what they did with it after they won the faceoff.  That won't be as much of a problem in St. Louis.   Actually, that could prove to be really a strong weapon in St. Louis.    His overall number of faceoffs should go down a little (because there are others who can win faceoffs), but that shouldn't change his percentage.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

Maybe I'm being a grump, so I'm not trying to poo-poo everything they did, because I pretty much agree with what you're saying here.  I *do* think they came out of this week improved. My issue is that a trade like this simultaneously lowers the ceiling at the same time as it raises the floor. It's those picks for me. With that 1-st round pick, they only have about a 25% chance of getting a top-6 forward, and the 2nd rounder's chances drop to about 10%.

I think they were in a tough spot. O'Reilly wanted out, and guys like him are tough to replace.

Raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. What a great way to put it. 

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

What really does make that all the more impressive is that he took almost 200 more faceoffs than the second most player (Crosby) and 1100 more than the guy (Vermette) who tied him in percentage (or slightly beat him).    So he took a TON of faceoffs and won 60% of them.   That's nuts.

Giroux was right behind him at 58.6% but also took over 1000 less faceoffs.  The weird thing is that beside Eichel (836 and a horrible 41.5% --that's not a concern yet, he's still really young and sometimes that comes later) it's almost as if no one else took draws.  Larsson was the only other Sabre with a better than 50% draw (54.5%) but on 639 draws.

Without watching a lot of Sabres games, I'm guessing O'Reilly took so many because he was really the only guy Housley trusted.

The problem in Buffalo is what they did with it after they won the faceoff.  That won't be as much of a problem in St. Louis.   Actually, that could prove to be really a strong weapon in St. Louis.    His overall number of faceoffs should go down a little (because there are others who can win faceoffs), but that shouldn't change his percentage.

Pretty impressive faceoff #s by ROR. And I like that he hates playing for a team that tanks on purpose.

Giroux still killing it on the dot is great as well. 

Something not mentioned is that Nolan Patrick won over 50% of his draws. That may not sound so extraordinary, except he's the only teenager in the league doing it. And his 50.6% puts him ahead of Getzlaf/Monohan/Johnson/RNH/Kadri/Brassard/Henrique/Schenn/Wennberg/Malkin/Barzal/Drouin/MacKinnon/Eichel/McDavid etc.

57 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

That may not sound so extraordinary,

It really is, especially considering what you followed it with.

That was a knock on Crosby when he first came up (dulled by the cacophony of "DIVE!" and "Whine!") but he obviously greatly improved.  So to already be winning more than you're losing as a 19 year old is pretty astounding.

On 7/2/2018 at 12:27 PM, ruxpin said:

In fairness, when you pick black 17 consistently every day for 20 years, you're bound to win eventually. 

I won the first bracket challenge here.  Picked the winner.  Nobody else did.  So I did something right.  How about that England game today?  Heart attack city

15 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I won the first bracket challenge here.  Picked the winner.  Nobody else did.  So I did something right.  How about that England game today?  Heart attack city

You won another year beside this one? This year wasn't the first. Or even second. 

Archived