Rutherford Tweaks Tortsie

B21

At the press conference announcing the Jack Johnson signing, Jim Rutherford was asked how he could sign a player to a 5-year deal who was a healthy scratch for his team in their lone playoff series. Rutherford's response mentioned analytics done on the Pens' side but also that he didn't think Johnson had a bad season and that he (Rutherford) knew why the Blue Jackets scratched the defenseman down the stretch and it "wasn't because of how he was playing."  

Later on, Johnson stated that he was happy to be joining the Penguins because he wanted "to be a part of a winning culture."

Ouch. 🤣

First - I love this. Just more fuel to the growing rivalry between PIT and CBJ. I don't think those are comments Rutherford should be making but I love that he did if for no other reason that it tweaked the thin-skinned Tortsie something fierce.

https://theathletic.com/415536/2018/07/01/parting-shots-blue-jackets-john-tortorella-angered-by-comments-from-jack-johnson-penguins-gm/ (might need subscription to read the full article).

Johnson? No issue with him taking a shot as his former employer. Common place nowadays.

Either way - I think the first PIT/CBJ game this season will be must see TV.

I laughed at this last night.  I didn't know about it until it was mentioned in the chatbox.

So, with all this schoolyard tit-for-tat, is there any truth to the rumor that both will be joining the NBA?

I highly recommend that anyone who can read the unedited version, the wife and I read it last night and again today, it was funnier the second time through. I know a lot of you guys hate Torts but in the day and age of cookie cutter replies and boring players and coaches, he is a breath of foul air that I thoroughly enjoy.

Ah good ol Torts.    As for Johnson's comment, what was he supposed to say,   "Well I came to the Pens because they're on a downturn and I want to lose games"?  Almost every player that goes to a top team says something almost identicle.   It's like all the cliches Crash Davis teaches Meat in Bull Duhram.  The Pens front office didn't take offense to Marion Hossa when he said he wanted to go where he had the best chance of winning. (Then of course the Pens proved him wrong).

Now as for Rutherfords comments, not sure what that came from.  It would be interesting to be the little fly on the wall sometimes.

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I highly recommend that anyone who can read the unedited version, the wife and I read it last night and again today, it was funnier the second time through. I know a lot of you guys hate Torts but in the day and age of cookie cutter replies and boring players and coaches, he is a breath of foul air that I thoroughly enjoy.

I read it to my 3 year old and 5 year old this morning right before I dropped them off at day care. Pay all that money for what amounts to glorified babysitting....might as well make it fun, right? (Kidding - about reading it to them. Not day care - that's wicked expensive). All you need to know as that the local media here in Pittsburgh is loving this in a good way (i.e. - not killing Torts but giving him credit for speaking his mind so....honestly). It's hard for the media to get anything of substance from anyone associated the the NHL....Torts being one of - if not the - biggest exceptions. 

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Ah good ol Torts.    As for Johnson's comment, what was he supposed to say,   "Well I came to the Pens because they're on a downturn and I want to lose games"?  Almost every player that goes to a top team says something almost identicle.   It's like all the cliches Crash Davis teaches Meat in Bull Duhram.  The Pens front office didn't take offense to Marion Hossa when he said he wanted to go where he had the best chance of winning. (Then of course the Pens proved him wrong).

Now as for Rutherfords comments, not sure what that came from.  It would be interesting to be the little fly on the wall sometimes.

Yeah - I don't begrudge Johnson one bit. I'm not going to condone what Rutherford said....but anything that sets Tortsie off (which is just about anything) is awesome in my book.

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

apples.gif

Okay, I've been laid up for a few days with  a slipped disk, can't golf, so I'm bored.  So to honor Tort's for a career dedicated to complaining about everything with that little weasel face of his, I dedicate this rendition of Bad Torts(sung to the tune of  Bad Boys by the Miami Sound Machine) to the master of the blame game, John Torterella.

https://genius.com/Miami-sound-machine-bad-boy-lyrics

Torts will be Torts , whiny Torts, whiny Torts
Torts will be Torts , whiny Torts , whiny Torts

Whiny , whiny , whiny , whiny Torts
You make me laugh so much
You naughty whiny , whiny , whiny , whiny , Torts
You make me laugh so much
Knew you would

The way you fume so much
You get me so amused
About the Refs and such
My head goes beat beat
Beat beat, beat beat

Torts will be Torts , whiny Torts .whiny Torts

And when the game is done
Well your not done yet
You complain to everyone
You go Wah, Wah, Wah
The Refs The Refs

Torts will be Torts , whiny Torts .whiny Torts

FYI, this is the press conference in question.  I don't see how anyone with a sane mind can read bad intent into Johnson's words.  Oh wait, I forgot who we were talking about.

Anyway, the way Johnson's statement goes, he couldn't sign an extension with the Jackets, so in looking for a new team, with the Pens he could check all the boxes, one of those was to play for a team with a winning culture and whatever else.  He NEVER states that the Blue Jagoff's didn't have that.  Either Torts can't understand the written language of English or the way someone stated it to him in a question made it sound like Johnson was taking a parting shot.   FAKE NEWS

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/video/rutherford--johnson-070118/t-277437428/c-60743303

Archived