Eklund rumor : Flyers in "heavy" pursuit of Karlsson....

jammer2

Should the Flyers trade for Erik Karlsson?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers trade for Erik Karlsson?

• Yes - The Flyers defense would be insanely good for years to come.
    • No - It would cost too much. Stay the course Hexy.

It's an Eklund rumor so it definitely won't happen.  As mentioned before there is ZERO reason to trade for him especially if they want Ghost.  Ghost is signed to a very team friendly contract, is younger, produced better offensively last year (I know Ghost was outproduced in years past), and has been healthier.  Karlsson is definitely a better defender but Ghost has improved in that aspect of his game as well, I see no reason to do this trade.

Karlsson isn't $6.5 million better than Ghost (assuming he signs a Doughty contract) and certainly not worth giving up Ghost plus picks/prospects.  Ottawa can ask for the moon and not get nothing just to watch him walk as far as I am concerned.  He doesn't want to be there and everyone knows it so the price should be lower.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Wait a second.....is that Jim Cornett as your avatar!?!

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

lol

Yes.

Ok....thank God!

I've been meaning to ask you who it was, but was scared you were going to say it was YOU!. 

43 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok....thank God!

I've been meaning to ask you who it was, but was scared you were going to say it was YOU!. 

You were just jealous.

17 hours ago, hf101 said:

Why not just trade for that goalie or winger then?  Why bother with Karlsson?  He's damaged goods imo.  Is he really his former self after the Achilles heel injury?  Then there is the court stuff with his wife.  

JUST SAY NO

agree stay the course.

10 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO with a side of NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, the rumor is from Ek so thankfully that means NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on a trade happening.

I'm proud of this board that it's nearly 90% against on this. 

@pilldoc or @hf101, i don't see how on my phone, but we should do a poll. 

2 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

Mcdonald strait up for Karlsson and they half to take on 3/4 of each players salaries.

Let's start getting Pierre Dorion drunk immediately.🍺

We have a few running vehicles that have sound frames and are solid starter projects that run well.

They could eventually get upgraded skill parts to get to where we would want them and it's a process.

EK, is the vehicle that we see that is what we want are rides to look like and step back and admire.

But is he in his career now what we might consider him a "salvaged pickup".

We sold the farm for Pronger.

We tried to sell the ranch for Shea Weber, look at that now.

Are we willing to sell the children for a full grown piece that we don't know exactly what the next two years we'll have with him?

"IF" we keep the kids, in two years, how will they look like? In their projection for the next 10 years?

Some times waiting till you gather all your upgrades and put it together with something you solidly have will end up lasting longer and give you more contentment, then buying something off the shelf, you had to gut yourself to acquire.

Now in saying that, if you can score a nice ride and not have to give up anything too critical and keep your main parts, then that can be something to look at.

Maybe a three way deal where we give up something lite(prolly' have to take back a couple of salaries and/Lehteras') to a team that can give Ottawa what they're asking for.

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm proud of this board that it's nearly 90% against on this. 

@pilldoc or @hf101, i don't see how on my phone, but we should do a poll. 

Ask and it shall be done! :)

Poll is is now attached to this thread.

13 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Ask and it shall be done! :)

Poll is is now attached to this thread.

I would trade for him on one account:

To Ottawa: Lehtera, Wiese, Weal, Gudas, Mcdonald and Neuvy.

To Flyers: Erik Karlsson

Then turn around and trade Erik to the highest bidder!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

Apparently he's been traded to the Lightning - one person from TSN said so, then Eliotte Friedman said not yet.

yeah that's what I'm reading too.....

55 minutes ago, brelic said:

Apparently he's been traded to the Lightning - one person from TSN said so, then Eliotte Friedman said not yet.

Which begs the question: Will the Lightning lose a game next year?

25 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Which begs the question: Will the Lightning lose a game next year?

Depends how much they have to gut their team both in the trade and to afford it

I have a feeling that the return will be underwhelming, and all the Lightning will lose off the current team are pieces like Callahan and Strahlman. They'll get hit harder in picks/prospects.

On 7/5/2018 at 12:02 AM, hf101 said:

2017's stats:

Age Games  Goals Assists Points +/_ PPP Shots GWG TOI
Gostisbehere 25 78 13 52 65 10 33 221 2 21.27
Karlsson 28 71 9 53 62 -25 18 191 2 26.44

I see no reason to trade for Karlsson.

He'd obviously be an asset, but an achilles tendon is no joke in any sport. It's toll is bound to be taken soon on EK.  It ruined Ryan Howard and that was literally just be effing with his stance and balance in the box.  It's destroyed other careers in soccer and football and hockey.  He continues to have problems, hairline fractures, and nagging things that are sure to take games off his seasons and years off his career.    I don't want another superstar who plays brilliantly 36% of the time and then is in rehab and surgery the other 64%

Trading anything of serious long term value for him is way too risky.

If they'd take Simmonds and a pick or a non-D prospect, I'd consider it, but I don't give them any of our main prospects or young guys.  Ghost, Provo and Sanheim are ridiculously off limits and frankly, I'm really not into sending them Myers or even Morin at this point.  

If this was two years ago, I'd be more into it, but we've seen too much progress from too many kids to be into trading any of them for Karlsson who is at this point a bit of a question mark.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I have a feeling that the return will be underwhelming, and all the Lightning will lose off the current team are pieces like Callahan and Strahlman. They'll get hit harder in picks/prospects.

If that's the case, then Ottawa should just move their team now and sell it to someone who gives a rip.  

13 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Let's start getting Pierre Dorion drunk immediately.🍺

I'm not sure you have to START anything with that guy at this point.  It's like he's desperately trying to get fired. 

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If that's the case, then Ottawa should just move their team now and sell it to someone who gives a rip.  

Yes, Melnyk should. 

On 7/5/2018 at 3:23 AM, jammer2 said:

I was gonna look up the stats and compare....knew somebody would....lol. To be fair, Ghost is playing with a much more prolific power play, more dynamic forwards...BUT still, I get your point. Plus, you could make a reasonable argument that Karl will peak very soon, if he has not already. We have not seen the best Ghost, by far. He has a TON of upside left in him. The minus 25 does look bad, but he's on the ice SO much, and the Sens really, really suck in their own zone. You would have to think the 7 extra games by Ghost is almost wiped out when you count the time on ice.....Karl must be in the top 5 or so, that is a LOT of ice time. 

OK....young bucks....what story does Corsi tell??

One thing that does differentiates Karls from Ghost is Eric's ability to control the flow of the game. That takes skill, smarts, superior understanding of spacing ....it will be a few years before we know just how much Ghost will pick up in the pace of game dept. The one quality they both have that lends itself to game flow is poise and or grace under pressure. Eric has it mastered, Ghost is learning but progressing steadily. The reason I mention this....is Provy. IF we were to get Provy AND Karls on different pairings....that would almost guarantee increased Flyer puck possession. Provs was born with poise, so....having 2 of them...WOW...3 if Ghost was to stay.....wicked. That right there is one of the main reasons you would pursue this deal.....unreal puck possession. 

Their Corsi's are almost identical in recent years. Ghost's Fenwick was been better.    Karlsson's top Corsi numbers eclipse Ghost's but those are several years in his rearview now.   EK's relative Corsi is better, but I think that says more about their respective team mates if anything.  

Apologies if covered before, but reports indicate that a third team is needed to make salaries work.  Wonder if the Flyers could play a part in that given our cap space.  Flyers have had a little trading history with Tampa.

Archived