Eklund rumor : Flyers in "heavy" pursuit of Karlsson....

jammer2

Should the Flyers trade for Erik Karlsson?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers trade for Erik Karlsson?

• Yes - The Flyers defense would be insanely good for years to come.
    • No - It would cost too much. Stay the course Hexy.

First, I know it's just a rumor, but if there is some teeth to it, worth discussing. 

A) What would we have to give up??  I'm thinking Frost, Ratcliffe, Sanhiem and a 1st....or something in that ballpark?  Do we really want to rip our future core apart (which was SO meticulously built up) for a star dman....when it's already a team strength, and only getting better.

B)Gotta figure at least a 8 or 9 mill cap hit....I dunno. If they do that, then you have one of Provy or Ghost on the second pp??  Really??   It would make sense to trade Ghost if we got Karlsson....maybe Ghost and Simmonds for Drisital???  

I would not want to give up 3 of our best prospects.....hell, maybe they even want Sans, Konency, Frost and a 1st......it would be to much to give up for a position of strength right now. counterproductive.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2017's stats:

Age Games  Goals Assists Points +/_ PPP Shots GWG TOI
Gostisbehere 25 78 13 52 65 10 33 221 2 21.27
Karlsson 28 71 9 53 62 -25 18 191 2 26.44

I see no reason to trade for Karlsson.

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

2017's stats:

The only thing I could think of is to sign him and trade either he or Ghost to get a sniper on the wing, or a goalie. (Yes, I know we just got JVR).

6 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The only thing I could think of is to sign him and trade either he or Ghost to get a sniper on the wing, or a goalie. (Yes, I know we just got JVR).

Why not just trade for that goalie or winger then?  Why bother with Karlsson?  He's damaged goods imo.  Is he really his former self after the Achilles heel injury?  Then there is the court stuff with his wife.  

JUST SAY NO

54 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

First, I know it's just a rumor, but if there is some teeth to it, worth discussing. 

A) What would we have to give up??  I'm thinking Frost, Ratcliffe, Sanhiem and a 1st....or something in that ballpark?  Do we really want to rip our future core apart (which was SO meticulously built up) for a star dman....when it's already a team strength, and only getting better.

B)Gotta figure at least a 8 or 9 mill cap hit....I dunno. If they do that, then you have one of Provy or Ghost on the second pp??  Really??   It would make sense to trade Ghost if we got Karlsson....maybe Ghost and Simmonds for Drisital???  

I would not want to give up 3 of our best prospects.....hell, maybe they even want Sans, Konency, Frost and a 1st......it would be to much to give up for a position of strength right now. counterproductive.

You lost me at "Eklund".

1 hour ago, intheslot said:

And Bobby Ryan too.!!!

OH NO they don't....they start talking "take the scrub Bobby off our hands also".....NOPE....let the Sharks have Karlsson then!! Really, how would they add Ryans 5 mill, JVR's 7 mill and Karlsson's 8 or 9......nope....that would end it for me. 

6 hours ago, hf101 said:

2017's stats:

I was gonna look up the stats and compare....knew somebody would....lol. To be fair, Ghost is playing with a much more prolific power play, more dynamic forwards...BUT still, I get your point. Plus, you could make a reasonable argument that Karl will peak very soon, if he has not already. We have not seen the best Ghost, by far. He has a TON of upside left in him. The minus 25 does look bad, but he's on the ice SO much, and the Sens really, really suck in their own zone. You would have to think the 7 extra games by Ghost is almost wiped out when you count the time on ice.....Karl must be in the top 5 or so, that is a LOT of ice time. 

OK....young bucks....what story does Corsi tell??

One thing that does differentiates Karls from Ghost is Eric's ability to control the flow of the game. That takes skill, smarts, superior understanding of spacing ....it will be a few years before we know just how much Ghost will pick up in the pace of game dept. The one quality they both have that lends itself to game flow is poise and or grace under pressure. Eric has it mastered, Ghost is learning but progressing steadily. The reason I mention this....is Provy. IF we were to get Provy AND Karls on different pairings....that would almost guarantee increased Flyer puck possession. Provs was born with poise, so....having 2 of them...WOW...3 if Ghost was to stay.....wicked. That right there is one of the main reasons you would pursue this deal.....unreal puck possession. 

6 hours ago, hf101 said:

Why not just trade for that goalie or winger then?  Why bother with Karlsson?  He's damaged goods imo.  Is he really his former self after the Achilles heel injury?  Then there is the court stuff with his wife.  

JUST SAY NO

I think he's every bit the player he was before the Achilles injury. 

I still don't do this. You know from NAHANA what a huge Karlsson fan I am.  But there is no reason to do this. The Ghost comparison is apt, although the stats compare against an off year for Erik.  But even if Ghost is Karlsson light, he's in the ballpark and we already have him AND we have the people we'd just be tossing away to chase the fool's gold in someone else's yard. 

We chased after the best defenseman shiny almost a decade ago. It screwed up the entire last decade.  Leveling and eviscerating everything worked for the last 4-5 years is foolishness. 

Please pass on this. 

29 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Ek.. 

Nuff said

Agree ..... it is Ek....so that is that.

4 hours ago, jammer2 said:

One thing that does differentiates Karls from Ghost is Eric's ability to control the flow of the game. That takes skill, smarts, superior understanding of spacing ....it will be a few years before we know just how much Ghost will pick up in the pace of game dept. The one quality they both have that lends itself to game flow is poise and or grace under pressure. Eric has it mastered, Ghost is learning but progressing steadily. The reason I mention this....is Provy. IF we were to get Provy AND Karls on different pairings....that would almost guarantee increased Flyer puck possession. Provs was born with poise, so....having 2 of them...WOW...3 if Ghost was to stay.....wicked. That right there is one of the main reasons you would pursue this deal.....unreal puck possession. 

this is the ONLY reason I would be salivating at the mouth right now and not because of the BBQ I smoked yesterday for the 4th of July.  The Flyers would have an UNREAL defense for years to come.

Yeah it is a pipe dream I know.......

45 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think he's every bit the player he was before the Achilles injury. 

I still don't do this. You know from NAHANA what a huge Karlsson fan I am.  But there is no reason to do this. The Ghost comparison is apt, although the stats compare against an off year for Erik.  But even if Ghost is Karlsson light, he's in the ballpark and we already have him AND we have the people we'd just be tossing away to chase the fool's gold in someone else's yard. 

We chased after the best defenseman shiny almost a decade ago. It screwed up the entire last decade.  Leveling and eviscerating everything worked for the last 4-5 years is foolishness. 

Please pass on this. 

And the very rational post I come to expect from @ruxpin.  My heart may say yes, but my head simply says no.  Simply put, I know it would cost WAY TOO much to acquire Karlsson.  Check me off as another one to just say no.

I don't think Sanheim would cut it. I'm thinking Ghost.

Rumour is they want Heiskanen from Dallas in a deal, but Dallas isn't willing to part with him. Honka is their offer.

Pass. 

Philly is close to having a defence other teams wish they had. Of course Karlsson would drive that envy home, but how about we do it this time on our own, as Rux mentioned, instead of trying to do what others have all the time?

Meltzer was tweeting about this.  He thinks the ask for EK starts with Ghost plus perhaps Simmonds and a first.  So there most likely is no way Karlsson, Ghost and Provorov wind up playing for the Flyers.  It's Karlsson & Ivan or heaven forbid EK and Ghost with #9 going to Ottawa, which would be muy no bueno.

If it were only money I would pursue Karlsson, hard because he's awesome... but I don't know that I want to, as others have said, give up our EK lite who is still improving,  a top forward, and our first round pick in a year when the better Hughes kid is the prize to do so.

I have been staunchly against blowing holes in our roster for magic beans during this "build". Even though Karlsson is one of the 3 best defensmen in the world, I don't think this is the area where our team needs improvement. This team needs goaltending and a 3C, the scoring winger has been added. 

Edit: Meltzer's column today has the forward going to Ottawa being Koneckny...  um, no.

20 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Meltzer was tweeting about this.  He thinks the ask for EK starts with Ghost plus perhaps Simmonds and a first.  So there most likely is no way Karlsson, Ghost and Provorov wind up playing for the Flyers.  It's Karlsson & Ivan or heaven forbid EK and Ghost with #9 going to Ottawa, which would be muy no bueno.

If it were only money I would pursue Karlsson, hard because he's awesome... but I don't know that I want to, as others have said, give up our EK lite who is still improving,  a top forward, and our first round pick in a year when the better Hughes kid is the prize to do so.

I have been staunchly against blowing holes in our roster for magic beans during this "build". Even though Karlsson is one of the 3 best defensmen in the world, I don't think this is the area where our team needs improvement. This team needs goaltending and a 3C, the scoring winger has been added. 

SIgning Folin like Hextall just did is a much saner and appropriate move for the team at this time.

Between Ghost and Provorov, we have an incredible top pairing for the next decade+. And they're homegrown kids, building a team together. 

EK, from all accounts, is a wonderful human being, and I'm sure he would be an incredible mentor. But he would cost not $8-9M / year. I think it's more like $10-12M. I would argue he's more valuable than a Tavares because of a defenseman's career longevity compared to forwards, and sheer time on ice. 

We don’t need Karlsson,  We have Karlsson lite in Ghost. If we were trading for any defenseman at all ,it should be for a defensive stalwart. We have Meyers and Sanheim as two additional offensive guys. We need to cut down on our goals against Karlsson is 28, had two major injuries , has a mental case for a girlfriend and will be looking for huge $$$ and a long term deal and the cost will be way too high. 

Getting by in the salary cap world is all about being good at exploiting inefficiencies in the market.

1) Players get paid for points.
2) Many players who get a good number of points contribute to their teams being outscored despite their point totals.

Finding the players who help the goal share while not getting enough points to move the salary dial is the golden ticket when filling out the roster. Erik Karlsson is not that player; not for the Philadelphia Flyers. He's amazing, and he would easily be your best blueliner (as he would on any team) but defense isn't an area of weakness for your team.

This would be an honest case of "it's not you, it's me".

53 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

WOW....nicely done sir.

(where's the tennis racket?!.....LOL)

(My one day avatar....just for you JR!....Name that manager!)

That's none other than Brother Love aka Bruce Prichard, brother to the Doctor of Desire, Tom Prichard (no word on where he got his doctorate).

Archived