Eklund rumor : Flyers in "heavy" pursuit of Karlsson....

jammer2

Should the Flyers trade for Erik Karlsson?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers trade for Erik Karlsson?

• Yes - The Flyers defense would be insanely good for years to come.
    • No - It would cost too much. Stay the course Hexy.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Which begs the question: Will the Lightning lose a game next year?

16 minutes ago, vis said:

Apologies if covered before, but reports indicate that a third team is needed to make salaries work.  Wonder if the Flyers could play a part in that given our cap space.  Flyers have had a little trading history with Tampa.

I heard NJD could be the 3rd team. And of course, the NYR rumor has been floated.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

I heard NJD could be the 3rd team. And of course, the NYR rumor has been floated.

Great.  Everyone wins!  (Except the Flyers.)

4 hours ago, vis said:

Great.  Everyone wins!  (Except the Flyers.)

Rangers have the cap space but no one to offer in trade.  

Devils have both, but need the assets they have, getting Karlsson is two steps forward three steps back for them. 

I’m not sure who i’d Want from Tampa, they have a lot of good players, but i’d Be interested to think about it.  

Additional food for thought is that Weber was just announced to be out til December with a knee surgery.  

I.e. don’t pay too much for a super star D man.   It’s just too risky.  If you have one or two already and two more very good ones, that’s great. Go with that. 

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Devils have both, but need the assets they have, getting Karlsson is two steps forward three steps back for them. 

I’m not sure who i’d Want from Tampa, they have a lot of good players, but i’d Be interested to think about it.  

I'd take Brayden Point for 3C for starters or Tyler Johnson

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Yanni Gourde would be my other target.  Gourde and one of the centers, please. 

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

“Strange game.  It seems the only smart move is not to play. “

How about a nice game of chess?

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

yeah, i think we could find someone on their roster worth taking...

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yanni Gourde would be my other target.  Gourde and one of the centers, please. 

Taking JT Miller would help them with cap and he can slide around to center or either wing. That would work for me, too. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Taking JT Miller would help them with cap and he can slide around to center or either wing. That would work for me, too. 

They just gave McDonagh a 7 year / $6.75M contract that starts when he’s 30. 

Add Karlsson at $10-12M and that’s an awful lot tied up for what will soon be 30+ year old defenseman. Almost 20% of your cap space. 

16 minutes ago, brelic said:

They just gave McDonagh a 7 year / $6.75M contract that starts when he’s 30. 

Add Karlsson at $10-12M and that’s an awful lot tied up for what will soon be 30+ year old defenseman. Almost 20% of your cap space. 

Yeah, it's  nuts from where I sit, but ...

They just signed JT Miller for $5.25M for 5 years.  It's too long a term for me, but at his age he should be movable if we need to.  The amount is good and he can slide out to wing when Frost is ready.

Tampa has $5M room right now, plus $5.25M (Miller).   They'd have next year to sort out where else to find money, and who knows what they send to Ottawa in this imaginary exchange.

I'd actually like Point or Gourde, but neither one moves any cap space out, so I'd take Miller off their hands.  I like Johnson, too. He's a little older but can slide to RW.    And $5M would be doable   The problem with Johnson is he has a NTC.

EDIT:  Tampa had $5M and change when I checked yesterday.  It's at $3.4M today, so I don't know who else they signed in the interim. (Second EDIT: Paquette and Koekkoek.  $1.865M combined)

15 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, it's  nuts from where I sit, but ...

They just signed JT Miller for $5.25M for 5 years.  It's too long a term for me, but at his age he should be movable if we need to.  The amount is good and he can slide out to wing when Frost is ready.

Tampa has $5M room right now, plus $5.25M (Miller).   They'd have next year to sort out where else to find money, and who knows what they send to Ottawa in this imaginary exchange.

I'd actually like Point or Gourde, but neither one moves any cap space out, so I'd take Miller off their hands.  I like Johnson, too. He's a little older but can slide to RW.    And $5M would be doable   The problem with Johnson is he has a NTC.

EDIT:  Tampa had $5M and change when I checked yesterday.  It's at $3.4M today, so I don't know who else they signed in the interim. (Second EDIT: Paquette and Koekkoek.  $1.865M combined)

I don’t see Hextall going for any of that. 

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I don’t see Hextall going for any of that. 

I don't either because it would require taking Bobby Ryan.  I have whatever is less than zero interest.  I suppose once traded he could be buried in Lehigh, though.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't either because it would require taking Bobby Ryan.  I have whatever is less than zero interest.  I suppose once traded he could be buried in Lehigh, though.

Not necessarily. While they were trying to attach the contract, it appears that nobody was buying. Which makes sense, because even a rebuilding team wouldn't want to be saddled with 7.25 million against their cap for four more years. It's back loaded too, so a team like Arizona won't even touch it.

33 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Don’t really have that much cap space do they?

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Don’t really have that much cap space do they?

I'm assuming you mean the Flyers.

Not exactly, no.   Not if Ryan is coming along.

If Ryan is not coming along then probably.   They have just shy of $14M and Miller or Johnson (shorter term) would only be $5.25M or $5.0M respectively.    I don't want both, just one.    It gets a little more dicey after next season because you have to extend Konecny and Provorov.  The good news is that Lehtera, Weal, and Raffl come off. 

That's $8.8M.   Simmonds possibly too. 

Now there's $12.8M.   That and whatever room we already have probably covers Provorov and Konecny and kids coming up to replace.

The following summer you have to do Patrick.  The good news is Weise, MacDonalds, and Gudas come off.  

That's $12.7M.  That's well more than enough to do Patrick.

We should actually be okay with either Miller or Johnson.  We could even swallow McDonagh if we wanted to, but i don't see the point to that.   Point could become expensive because he's up next year.  But you could do a $4-$5M bridge to delay until you have the extra money.

I actually don't see this happening either, but it's feasible vs. the cap.

--

If you meant Tampa, it's a little more dicey.  

They're okay this year if they dump a $5M contract.  Karlsson would still be on his current contract yet this coming season, so he's at $6.5M.  The $5M contract gets them to $8.4M.  They'd have $3.4M with only Adam Erne to sign, and I don't think that takes any more than $1.5M.    So, they'll have $1.9M buffer.   And that's before shipping anyone to Ottawa, unless they're just sending prospects & picks.

I think if I'm Tampa, I'm trying to move McDonagh since he's a high priced defenseman and now a little redundant.  If they keep him, they need to shed Stralman or Coburn.    Stralman is actually the right-shooting defenseman that works for the Flyers since he only has one year left on his contract.

Anyway, 2019-20 is when it starts getting dicey for Tampa unless they shed a couple bigger contracts, because they'll have Point, Gourde, and Kucherov to sign and Vasilevskiy the following year.  As well as a handful of others that may not be as big a concern but which will add up.

So, if -- if -- Karlsson is getting Doughty money, they need a lot of space.  But they don't necessarily have to worry about that until next summer when they can do it a little less like a knee-jerk fire sale.

So far, 11/12 have voted against traded for Karlsson.  I kind of off-handedly said 90% on this board, and that's 91.6%.   This board is so well-trained to wait forever to win.  Good on it.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

So far, 11/12 have voted against traded for Karlsson.  I kind of off-handedly said 90% on this board, and that's 91.6%.   This board is so well-trained to wait forever to win.  Good on it.

Waiting is such a hard thing, when I'm making a steak and want to add mashed potatoes or rice, grill some mushrooms or onions. I end up finishing 3/4 of the steak and by the time the rice or onions are plated, they look over at the the piece of meat, and ask it, "who are you?"

On 7/6/2018 at 8:12 PM, ruxpin said:

I'm assuming you mean the Flyers.

Not exactly, no.   Not if Ryan is coming along.

If Ryan is not coming along then probably.   They have just shy of $14M and Miller or Johnson (shorter term) would only be $5.25M or $5.0M respectively.    I don't want both, just one.    It gets a little more dicey after next season because you have to extend Konecny and Provorov.  The good news is that Lehtera, Weal, and Raffl come off. 

That's $8.8M.   Simmonds possibly too. 

Now there's $12.8M.   That and whatever room we already have probably covers Provorov and Konecny and kids coming up to replace.

The following summer you have to do Patrick.  The good news is Weise, MacDonalds, and Gudas come off.  

That's $12.7M.  That's well more than enough to do Patrick.

We should actually be okay with either Miller or Johnson.  We could even swallow McDonagh if we wanted to, but i don't see the point to that.   Point could become expensive because he's up next year.  But you could do a $4-$5M bridge to delay until you have the extra money.

I actually don't see this happening either, but it's feasible vs. the cap.

--

If you meant Tampa, it's a little more dicey.  

They're okay this year if they dump a $5M contract.  Karlsson would still be on his current contract yet this coming season, so he's at $6.5M.  The $5M contract gets them to $8.4M.  They'd have $3.4M with only Adam Erne to sign, and I don't think that takes any more than $1.5M.    So, they'll have $1.9M buffer.   And that's before shipping anyone to Ottawa, unless they're just sending prospects & picks.

I think if I'm Tampa, I'm trying to move McDonagh since he's a high priced defenseman and now a little redundant.  If they keep him, they need to shed Stralman or Coburn.    Stralman is actually the right-shooting defenseman that works for the Flyers since he only has one year left on his contract.

Anyway, 2019-20 is when it starts getting dicey for Tampa unless they shed a couple bigger contracts, because they'll have Point, Gourde, and Kucherov to sign and Vasilevskiy the following year.  As well as a handful of others that may not be as big a concern but which will add up.

So, if -- if -- Karlsson is getting Doughty money, they need a lot of space.  But they don't necessarily have to worry about that until next summer when they can do it a little less like a knee-jerk fire sale.

I didn't think either team has quite so much space to be screwing around with it.  If it's the Flyers, you have to assume Simmonds is involved.  There's also the fact that Neuvirth and Elliott's contracts are also both gone after this year.  Maybe they'll need to bring someone back (or new) but presumably, it won't be a big deal goalie.  

I just don't see it as worth it.  I don't know the lightning prospect pool well enough to comment on how much sense it makes for them.  

On 7/6/2018 at 8:14 PM, ruxpin said:

It's not that we're trained to wait forever, it's that I think we all see it happening now.  The corner being turned with a long bright road ahead.  

I think it's that we're looking forward to being good for a long time to come, not that we'll be waiting for a long time to be good.  

I'm also not interested in having a $10million player on LTIR for the majority of an 8 year contract.  That will do wonders to "good now" we won't want to think about.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It's not that we're trained to wait forever, it's that I think we all see it happening now.  The corner being turned with a long bright road ahead.  

I think it's that we're looking forward to being good for a long time to come, not that we'll be waiting for a long time to be good.  

I'm also not interested in having a $10million player on LTIR for the majority of an 8 year contract.  That will do wonders to "good now" we won't want to think about.  

I know.  It was just a throw-away line  I completely get all that.

Archived