Eklund rumor : Flyers in "heavy" pursuit of Karlsson....

jammer2

Should the Flyers trade for Erik Karlsson?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers trade for Erik Karlsson?

• Yes - The Flyers defense would be insanely good for years to come.
    • No - It would cost too much. Stay the course Hexy.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

ok he was claimed off waivers.

Yeah, it was like the 3rd time he'd been on waivers.

I mean, he objectively played well-above expectations and the return on investment was there if I'm being objective and honest.  But he was damaged fruit to me right out of the gate.  He could have walked on water, healed the sick, and made Betamax successful and I still would have yelled "crucify him!"

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I'll never forgive Carter for missing that WIDE OPEN GAPING NET!!!    

Oh good grief for the gajillionth time.  Campbell deflected that shot. It went off the butt of his stick, it was the **** ass luckiest  play of all **** a** lucky plays. 

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Oh good grief for the gajillionth time.  Campbell deflected that shot. It went off the butt of his stick, it was the **** ass luckiest  play of all **** a** lucky plays. 

That's not true.  According to most accounts, Carter paused, flipped the middle finger to the crowd while smiling demonically, and then altered his shot to go wide.   That's the story I'm going with.

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

You don't think UPENN girls naturally walk with a limp favoring their right leg, do you?   No.  It's just that Carter always shoots wide left.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

But if you put any other team logo on that exact same story, without an exception everyone in Flyers land would say it was the luckiest, least deserving team to ever win a cup.

I disagree. That team underachieved in the regular season, but was built for the playoffs. Strong down the center with two excellent d pairings and quality role players. With the exception of Leighton, they were well situated to have a good run. 

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

That's not true.  According to most accounts, Carter paused, flipped the middle finger to the crowd while smiling demonically, and then altered his shot to go wide.   That's the story I'm going with.

this is hilarious, but holy ****, @JR Ewing 's quote caused a coffee slick on my keyboard, when did he say that ?

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I really don't remember that season fondly.  In fact, I hated that season and really didn't like the team, it's attitude and complacency in the regular season, or its captain.   The playoffs were a fun ride, sure.  Starting with winning a skills competition on the last day.  But if you put any other team logo on that exact same story, without an exception everyone in Flyers land would say it was the luckiest, least deserving team to ever win a cup.

I felt the same way. They *might* have had more talent than the "lightning in a bottle" Canes and Cam Ward win, but yeah....they would have been viewed as lucky champs. I remember those playoffs well. My work had one of those check best player in the box playoff pools....and I picked all Sharks, Hawks, Habs and Flyers....which netted me a cool 1000 bucks. It was never close and co-workers called me Swami for a full year....lol. 

9 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

...and he was skating on two broken feet. We don’t have to forgive him, but we really gotta let it go.  

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

You don't think UPENN girls naturally walk with a limp favoring their right leg, do you?   No.  It's just that Carter always shoots wide left.

Please... not even Penn guys sleep with Penn girls. 

38 minutes ago, King Knut said:

That team underAchieved until Christmas and then was actually pretty darn good and they did it with 3 less than backup goalies every other team in the league had discarded.  

They didn't, though.  They were horrible through February and March and Captain Morgan was all "it's just one game."   He played with as much enthusiasm as he showed on a West German BMW commercial.

They did improve some.

On Dec. 31, they were 19-18-2 and had their coach fired (at 13-11-1)

At end of season, they were 41-35-6.   

So they went 22-17-4 after Dec. 31.   Not a huge improvement, actually.

On March 1 (that was a Winter Olympic year) they were 32-25-3.   So from Dec 31 to the Olympics, they went a very respectable 13-7-1.   But from March on, they went 9-10-3 and almost it's only one game'd it away.    

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

this is hilarious, but holy ****, @JR Ewing 's quote caused a coffee slick on my keyboard, when did he say that ?

LOL I think it was just a week or two ago.  I forget the exact context, but it was about the Oilers.  I think comparing to Ottawa.

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

There must be a story here I don't get :P

Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Scott Upshall and some others at downtown bars (and Ocean City) with college coeds.  

It would have had to be Penn girls because Temple girls can't afford the downtown bars and Villanova & St. Joe's girls party on the Main Line.  Lasalle girls are just ugly.

And Penn guys dont' sleep with Penn girls because most already got their VD degree.

On 7/9/2018 at 1:48 PM, ruxpin said:

I said I wasn't sure.  Largely because it's a "what if" that we obviously didn't experience.  The knee jerk response is greatly influenced by the the pain we did. 

My focus was largely on the Richards/Carter/Bryz thing because, for me, it was more closely comparable in the aspect I was thinking about:  a team almost there but it's top end talent gutted to fit a "last piece" (in this case goalie). 

I think that one was a mistake out of the gate and was counter-productive to making that last mile. 

In that respect, I view Tampa in a similar way.  Say they have to move out Kucherov and McDonagh to accommodate the space.  They've spent more to replace Kucherov and also lost McDonagh.  That, to me, is foolishness. 

If it were just some prospects and picks, it wouldn't be as big a deal. But it has to be more than that for the money to work. 

I get the urge to compare to Pronger given they're both top end defensemen in their time, but the situations of the respective teams aren't the same.  When the Flyers got Pronger, they were close but not on the doorstep like Tampa is now. Getting Pronger got them there. And they really only sacrificed picks and prospects (as bad as that was). 

Had they won in 2010?  Some wounds aren't as profound, to be sure.  Not just Pronger, but the Richards/Carter thing, wouldn't be "right there, we blew it up, and have been horrible since." 

My only similar first hand experience was the Phillies, but they did win. They'd built a team largely from prospects and picks and won with a lineup that was all homegrown except third base.  Their ace pitcher was homegrown and then others filled in around. 

They could have won several but started bringing in high price tag pitchers--both in terms of salary but also picks, prospects, and players the Phillies lost because they couldn't afford the higher payroll. 

The world series parade forgiveness period lasted maybe 4-5 years and the park that had been sold out for 3-4 consecutive years was to 35% of capacity. 

So, had the Flyers won, I would have enjoyed it.  But I think that wouldn't have changed our lack of results the past few years (unless for the worse) and the forgiveness period would have been long expired. 

I think if we don't trade Carter and Richards and do the disastrous Bryz signing maybe we get another shot or two at it.  Who knows? 

I would have enjoyed a parade, though. 

The Phillies stopped winning because their  bats got too old to compete.  Perhaps they should have focused on replac d Pat the Bat and getting a few more hitters instead of having three HOF aces. That’s a legit complaint. 

But it they didn’t lose because their pitching was too good.  

Now the Flyers...

Where the gamble for for the Flyers really failed was Pronger getting hurt and Bryz being a nut case and Homer giving up JVR for Luke.  

Even if they still got Bryz, they could have endured the buyout if they hadn’t had to trade away Bob. Either way that situation was a disaster incarnate.  

Losing Pronger, wasting July 1st failing to get Parise and Sutrr (and eventually Weber) and then giving up JVR, all in a desperately misguided attempt to replace Pronger and then finally firing Lavvy (which I still can’t tell if that was a mercy to Lavvy or not) were th big ones.  Mac and Vinny just delayed being able to rebuild.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

The Phillies stopped winning because their  bats got too old to compete.  Perhaps they should have focused on replac d Pat the Bat and getting a few more hitters instead of having three HOF aces. That’s a legit complaint. 

But it they didn’t lose because their pitching was too good

I didn't say that.   The first part is pretty much what I was saying, although it wasn't just getting too old.  That was later.  It wasn't so much Pat the Bat as letting players like Jason Werth go to pay the pitchers and not replacing them --in a hitters ballpark.  They had a good left-right power hitting lineup and sacrificed it for pitching -- in a hitters ballpark.   Don't get me wrong, I like pitching, but the team was initially built for their home stadium and they got away from it.   

I'm not sure I can think of a hockey analogy in that regard (and nevertheless don't want to turn this into a baseball discussion).  The best I can come up with is having a team go to the finals by scoring like mad and bringing in a defensive-trap coach.

I agree with the rest of your post.

42 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Scott Upshall and some others at downtown bars (and Ocean City) with college coeds.  

It would have had to be Penn girls because Temple girls can't afford the downtown bars and Villanova & St. Joe's girls party on the Main Line.  Lasalle girls are just ugly.

And Penn guys dont' sleep with Penn girls because most already got their VD degree.

Omg .., you nailed it !!!  It is so true considering I lived and went to school in Philly....

14 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I lived and went to school in college....

Didn't we all?

OK, maybe not. I drank and slept more than I went to school in college.

26 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Didn't we all?

OK, maybe not. I drank and slept more than I went to school in college.

My first two years I killed WAY too many cells then I care to admit...LOL

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I didn't say that.   The first part is pretty much what I was saying, although it wasn't just getting too old.  That was later.  It wasn't so much Pat the Bat as letting players like Jason Werth go to pay the pitchers and not replacing them --in a hitters ballpark.  They had a good left-right power hitting lineup and sacrificed it for pitching -- in a hitters ballpark.   Don't get me wrong, I like pitching, but the team was initially built for their home stadium and they got away from it.   

I'm not sure I can think of a hockey analogy in that regard (and nevertheless don't want to turn this into a baseball discussion).  The best I can come up with is having a team go to the finals by scoring like mad and bringing in a defensive-trap coach.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Werth is a perfect example.  

But Howard, Rollins and Utley (the Richards, Carter and Briere analogs) all started getting hurt and hitting for crap around the same time.  They still made the playoffs for a few more years, but they couldn't produce there.  it was the hitting that fell apart against the Yankees and Cardinals and the like.

13 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Omg .., you nailed it !!!  It is so true considering I lived and went to school in Philly....

Richards and Carter must have had a great time partying their way through all those bars in Ocean City.

23 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Things have probably changed since I was in college.

They have indoor plumbing now, so you can go to the bathroom inside the building.

Can you imagine?   Inside!

17 minutes ago, intheslot said:

there are no bars in Ocean City ...

(dry Town )

Yep, quite true (though I don't think anyone implied there were).

Are any of the other Blue Laws still in effect?  (ie: Sundays, etc).

Archived