• Start season with Senators and be traded mid-season
    • Start and end season with Senators and then become UFA next year
    • Traded to Tampa Bay before start of season
    • Traded to Dallas before start of season
    • Traded to Vegas before start of season
    • Traded to another team not listed
    • other???

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/07/05/erik-karlsson-trade/

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-reports-that-a-erik-karlsson-trade-to-the-lightning-could-be-real-close/2018/07/05/

Running updates on a potential Erik Karlsson trade …

10:45 PMElliotte Friedman: “Getting denials on a Karlsson trade….we’ll just have to let things play out”

10:44 PMErik Erlendsson: “No confirmation on the report out of Ottawa that a deal is done pending a trade call and while sense is this might be getting close, it’s sounds like it’s not to that point yet”

• 10:49 PMElliotte Friedman: “This may be the correct take. We’ll see.”
  • 10:59 PMErik Erlendsson: “I’m not saying the report out of Ottawa is inaccurate so don’t shoot the messenger, I can only report what I know on my end”
  • 11:07 PMDavid Pagnotta: “Following up on Erik’s latest here: Word we have seems to suggest it’s on the path to completion, but not done yet. Parties involved are waiting just like the rest of us. We shall see how it all unfolds.”

10:43 PMTravis Yost: “Not sure it’s done … (yet?).”

10:17 PMShawn Simpson: “My NHL sources tell me a Karlsson deal to Tampa is done, pending a call with the league office.”

9:14 PM – Travis Yost: “Sounds like Ottawa and Tampa Bay are getting close on a Karlsson trade. We will see what happens in the next 24-hours.”

7:02 PM – Joe Smith: “Also hearing Callahan in play in terms of third team to create space for potential deal. #TBLightning. Would imagine Rangers on his 16-team modifies no-move list he’d go to.”

6:58 PMDarren Dreger: “Tampa Bay and Ottawa continue to work on an Erik Karlsson trade. The NYR may be involved as Lightning need cap room. Callahan back to NY?”

4:17 PMTravis Yost: “Per source, teams around the league have been engaged as a third party to help facilitate a potential Erik Karlsson/Tampa Bay trade. Have to make salaries work.”

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

If this is true I hope that Ottawa got a good haul like we did for Ryan O'Reilly.  You cannot give a guy like this away.  Tampa should have to pay big.   Like Hedman big

a) I don't think the return on ROR was particularly amazing. Two spare parts who were thrown in to make the money work, a prospect, and picks that have a 25% and 10% chance of becoming top 6 players.

b) The return will be nowhere in the range of Hedman.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You cannot give a guy like this away.

Pierre Dorion can. Don't underestimate the guy.

(And also Bergevin, but this is another story)

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

a) I don't think the return on ROR was particularly amazing. Two spare parts who were thrown in to make the money work, a prospect, and picks that have a 25% and 10% chance of becoming top 6 players.

b) The return will be nowhere in the range of Hedman.

It was as good as you were going to get for O'Reilly. Are you kidding me?  Bergland and Svobotka are not chopped liver and two top picks are not either. 

22 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

It was as good as you were going to get for O'Reilly.

I think that you're probably much closer to being right about than wrong. I'm consistently underwhelmed by the return on players, which only reinforces my mantra of "get good players, keep good players". Sam Pollock was dead right when he said that the winner is the team that got the best player.

22 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Are you kidding me?  Bergland and Svobotka are not chopped liver and two top picks are not either. 

-I'm very serious about Berglund and Sobotka. They're guys who are a bit above replacement level, and who won't move the needle in comparison to O'Reilly.

-The picks are what they are: a slim chance (25% and 10% respectively), 4 or 5 years down the road of becoming top-6 players. Bank on neither of them panning out, be happy if 1 does, be ecstatic if both do, because that was a massive bet against the house. If it works out, it's not because you were smart, but because you're lucky.

-For the Sabres, I'm much bigger on the Hutton and Sheary additions this year. Nice moves, and practically for free.

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

I think that you're probably much closer to being right about than wrong. I'm consistently underwhelmed by the return on players, which only reinforces my mantra of "get good players, keep good players". Sam Pollock was dead right when he said that the winner is the team that got the best player.

-I'm very serious about Berglund and Sobotka. They're guys who are a bit above replacement level, and who won't move the needle in comparison to O'Reilly.

-The picks are what they are: a slim chance (25% and 10% respectively), 4 or 5 years down the road of becoming top-6 players. Bank on neither of them panning out, be happy if 1 does, be ecstatic if both do, because that was a massive bet against the house. If it works out, it's not because you were smart, but because you're lucky.

-For the Sabres, I'm much bigger on the Hutton and Sheary additions this year. Nice moves, and practically for free.

Bergland can score and Svobotka brings more to the table like some D.  O'Reilly was pursued by the Blues vigorously because he was second in the NHL in face off percentage for one thing. He can get Teresenko the puck often on PP and Swartz and Pietrangelo.  The Blues are my second favorite team and I am going to cheer for them this year to win the Cup knowing my Sabres are a step closer but not nearly ready

13 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Bergland can score and Svobotka brings more to the table like some D.

A trip to Corsica can be pretty revealing:

Berglund: 1 goal above replacement level offensively, 3 above defensively. Not bad at all. +4 GAR.

Sobotka: -4 offensive, -0.6 defensively. Almost 5 goals below replacement.

Taken together, it's a wash between them.

The problem: they're replacing a O'Reilly, who was 12 GAR offensive, and 3 GAR defensively.

http://corsica.hockey/war/

O'Reilly was pursued by the Blues vigorously because he was second in the NHL in face off percentage for one thing. He can get Teresenko the puck often on PP and Swartz and Pietrangelo.  The Blues are my second favorite team and I am going to cheer for them this year to win the Cup knowing my Sabres are a step closer but not nearly ready

Yeah, O'Reilly's a hell of a player. The Blues are in a great position with him there.

Regarding a possible Karlsson to Tampa Bay deal...all I can say is..... Wow...

No, no...that's not true...I got a **** ton more to say... :InnocentSmiley:

I honestly felt that with the extensions given to McDonagh, Miller, large payroll already on the team, the plethora of NTC/NMC contracts the Bolts have AND certain players needing new deals soon, that there simply would be no room for Erik Karlsson.

Well, if all this talk is true (and until it IS proven true, I will treat it as speculation...albeit VERY interesting speculation), then Stevie Y is preparing to amaze yet again.

Thing is, I think Erik Karlsson on the Lightning really would make Tampa Bay a solid favorite to win not only the East, but the entire thing this coming season.

But would acquiring Karlsson mean the Bolts would need to 'gut the team' either in prospects, young roster players, and draft board picks?

Ordinarily, that likely would be the case....but I don't believe Yzerman is interested in gutting his team...not even for Karlsson...and I have to believe that if Yzerman is still in on Ottawa's superstar defensemen, he feels he can get him by, yes, giving up some very good prospects/roster players/picks......but not necessarily gutting the team or its pipeline.

For one, I believe the TB organization is deep enough from the NHL level down to the minors to where they can absorb a loss of talent and still remain viable.... and secondly, Ottawa doesn't have nearly the leverage in demanding the kind of return they SHOULD be getting for Karlsson.

So I think whomever ends up with him would, relatively speaking, get him for a lot less than if Ottawa would have traded him a season ago.

Salary, cap space....no doubt those are the things that need clarifying.

Steve Yzerman's purpose from the very beginning as GM was to make the Lightning a perennial contender for years to come...decades if possible.... ala the Detroit Red Wings from whence he came.

If he can pull off an Erik Karlsson deal and still keep his organization competitively viable over the long haul, then dammit, I guess one can say the Lightning have officially arrived at as close to dynasty level as one can expect in this day and age of The Cap.

Who will be departing the Lightning to make it possible for Karlsson to be on the team?

My guess, and the rumor mill's favorite names are either Mikhail Sergachev or Brayden Point.

Other names as part of a package I have heard bandied about are Anthony Cirelli (nice debut and partial season last year, and has been doing really well in the AHL), Alexander Volkov (big power forward currently still developing in Syracuse), and maybe even Cal Foote, a recent high draft pick defenseman from a season ago.

I would surely be saddened to see any of those players go, as I envisioned them all to be at some point, big pieces of the Tampa Bay Lightning, but we are talking about an in-his-prime, still supremely talented player in Erik Karlsson who also has leadership abilities and surely is hungry for a Cup.

As long as the Bolts aren't crippled by this deal, and I have no reason to think Yzerman would suddenly get "stupid" and do so, TB will have to give up some prime players to get him....although again, I am betting Yzerman would likely get Karlsson for below what a full return on him should be.

What can I say, except I will sit n wait like everyone else....and GO BOLTS!!  😄

I'm temporarily locking this thread since there seem to be multiple cogs in this deal and it appears that not everyone is happy.   I started the thread on the assumption that there was a deal in place.  Obviously that is not the case. Once something more concrete appears I will unlock the thread.....

This is my favorite post from the Eklund thread:

I am also hearing from sources that the deal is not done and it's because one of the teams is not happy with the deal. My sources say that the deal involves Karlsson and players form the other teams. Sticking point is definitely the details of the offer.

E5 that this goes down before or after tomorrow and that the team is TB.

If not TB then Dallas, Vegas or another NHL team.

So, we've ruled out an NFL, NBA, or MLB team.  That's good that we're narrowing it down a bit.

And, the sticking point is definitely the details.    Good thing it isn't something to do with the deal.

I read the Devils are the third team involved and willing to take Callahan and his contract off the Lightning hands provided the Bolts give them a decent prospect in the deal. Ahhh, for the days when a trade was a trade and the money was not a factor. I absolutely abhor the salary cap. I understand it certainly, but it sucks the way it works, when you have to pay someone to take one of your players or even worse, Hossa in Chicago retires because his jersey makes him itch and the Hawks are hoping to use his contract as a lure for a bottom cap team to take to reach the floor in exchange for a prospect. 

(sound of me climbing off my soapbox, tripping, falling banging my knee and leaving the room cursing and slamming the door).

12 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I read the Devils are the third team involved and willing to take Callahan and his contract off the Lightning hands provided the Bolts give them a decent prospect in the deal. Ahhh, for the days when a trade was a trade and the money was not a factor. I absolutely abhor the salary cap. I understand it certainly, but it sucks the way it works, when you have to pay someone to take one of your players or even worse, Hossa in Chicago retires because his jersey makes him itch and the Hawks are hoping to use his contract as a lure for a bottom cap team to take to reach the floor in exchange for a prospect. 

(sound of me climbing off my soapbox, tripping, falling banging my knee and leaving the room cursing and slamming the door).

Is new jersey also taking Ryan in that scenario?  That's worth the pick payment, if so

52 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Is new jersey also taking Ryan in that scenario?  That's worth the pick payment, if so

Sorry, didn't see the topic was locked when I posted, I personally think there is nothing wrong with opening it up for everyone to throw in their two cents and have fun playing the waiting game but I get it if it stays locked.

Ryan, like everyone else with too much time and too little to spend it on I have scoured the internet for home bunion cures and Erik Karlsson trade news, Ryan is likely staying put in most scenarios that I have saw (or seen, whatever) because Dorion needs to remain at or near the cap floor.

25 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Sorry, didn't see the topic was locked when I posted, I personally think there is nothing wrong with opening it up for everyone to throw in their two cents and have fun playing the waiting game but I get it if it stays locked.

Yeah .. good point.  I was debating back and forth about it.  I know HF Boards has a Mega Thread going on about it.  I'll just change the title  of the thread.

Debate and speculation is a good thing! :)

I'll unlock it...........

I wrote an article a few minutes ago about the Senators having a ton of solid prospects, NHL ready but it don't matter, in a few years they will want paid real money and will be dealt away for an autographed Martin Gerber hockey card or something. Benning in Vancouver was long thought to be along with Garth Snow the leagues worst GM but Dorion took over Ottawa a few years ago and smiled and said, 'hold my beer." Of course how much is the GM and how much is the owner is up for debate but wow what an inept organization.

10 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

in a few years they will want paid real money and will be dealt away for an autographed Martin Gerber hockey card or something.

Thank God Instagram accounts are free, huh?

Archived