• Start season with Senators and be traded mid-season
    • Start and end season with Senators and then become UFA next year
    • Traded to Tampa Bay before start of season
    • Traded to Dallas before start of season
    • Traded to Vegas before start of season
    • Traded to another team not listed
    • other???

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

They basically get an upgrade from Stralman to Karlsson at RD.

I would prefer Stralman instead of Callahan...Ron would have to flip someone like Gudas out to make room though.

And he would clear 4.5mill in cap space. So it would be him or pass. Yet not sure if that would be enough space cleared for them.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would prefer Stralman instead of Callahan...Ron would have to flip someone like Gudas out to make room though.

And he would clear 4.5mill in cap space. So it would be him or pass. Yet not sure if that would be enough space cleared for them.

I don't think it would.  They really would be smarter to move someone whose contract goes past next summer, because that's where the pinch is.   And yeah, i prefer Stralman to Callahan.  Stralman could be useful on a one-year.

They have $3.4M room now.   Stralman's $4.5M gets them to $7.9M.   Karlsson is still at $6.5M through next year.   So it gets it done with $1.4M to spare.  Other than Adam Erne, they have everyone else signed.   They can do that under the $1.4M but it leaves them with a problem if they have injury call-ups.  Maybe not if they send down one of Koekkoek (love that name) or Dotchin.

I want to shoot for Kucherov.

We have $13.9M currently with Leier and Hagg unsigned.

Stralman is at $4.5M

Kucherov at $4.77M

Combined, that's $9.27M , leaving you with $4.63.    Leier and Hagg get done for around $2M.  Leaving a good $2M+ cushion.

I agree at that point you have got to move Gudas out for room, but even if you don't you're okay capwise.   At that point, though, I'm making it a priority to move Simmonds and Gudas.   

But this is doable.   And Kucherov's money helps Tampa.  They're still going to have to do some work after next season to move people out before Karlsson's $4.5M raise kicks in,  but with Kucherov's $4.77M out of the way, they have a slightly easier time.   Girardi and Coburn will be done, so that gives them $8.2M to spread between Gourde and Point.  That may actually get it done. 

@OccamsRazor

The Flyers could also bury Lehtera and/or Weise in that scenario. We actually may need the roster space.  

This ain't happening, but I'm bored. So...in the below I have Frost starting at 3C just because it makes me giddy.  I have Vorobyov at 4C, but it's more likely he goes back down and we keep up one of Weise or Lehtera and Laughton slides to 4C.    I have Simmonds and Gudas already moved.  

2018 LW C RW
1 Claude Giroux Sean Couturier Nikita Kucherov
2 James Van Riemsdyk Nolan Patrick Jakub Voracek
3 Oskar Lindblom Morgan Frost Travis Konecny
4 Scott Laughton Mikhail Vorobyov Michael Raffl
  Weal    
  Leier    

LD RD  
1 Ivan Provorov Shayne Gostisbehere  
2 Travis Sanheim Andrew MacDonald  
3 Robert Hagg Anton Stralman  
  Samuel Morin (IR) Christian Folin  

That's suddenly a pretty damn competitive lineup with utter crap behind it in goal.

12 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Thanks for that last update, @pilldoc

Guess no one should be surprised.

I mean, this "slow boat" development PROBABLY should have been the norm all along, with Karlsson assumed to remain an Ottawa Senator until some verifiable proof comes up that he won't.

And yes, I believe a deal of this magnitude, whether with the Lightning, Stars, Knights...whomever, WOULD take a while to iron out details.

Perhaps Dorion isn't the complete knucklehead everyone is making him out to be...…..albeit, the longer he waits (I think he has waited a season too long as it is), I believe, the smaller his return for Karlsson from whichever team he ultimately ends up dealing with.

Bottom line is, this 'frenzy' on where Karlsson was going to end up was completely media fueled.

EEEEEVERYONE needed to be first man or first woman with the scoop, then you had the one guy who came out and said TB would be the team...only to have to retract his statement and say that "he was mistaken"....and then throw his alleged "source" under the bus.

Hey, guy...how about,

"Well, I wanted to be the first to get this story, boost my reporter profile, so I made this up because the Lightning were the most likely team to get him, but I gambled and lost. I am a notch below Eklund-type idiot"   :rolleyes:

And yea, I am just a tad salty the media worked me up a bit, as per @FD19372 , I had to be 'peeled from the ceiling', but now am wearing my Cynic of the Media face till I see or hear some solid evidence.

Oh, and as a side bar:

I peeked in on hfboards to see what was being said about the Karlsson situation, and OMG..... with all due respect to our very lovable Leaf fans here, the Toronto fans over there are being complete A-holes!

Hijacking Karlsson threads making them all about the Maple Leafs….then acting like they are contributing to the conversation.

Makes me appreciate HF.net THAT MUCH MORE, when I see garbage like that go on over there.

Ok...back to my corner I go....

As a Bolts fan, would you give up Kucherov if it meant getting Karlsson. Brayden Point played well in the playoffs this past season and Kucherov is probably looking for a big payday. 

12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

EDIT:  have Voracek or Simmonds ever spent any time on the left side?  If we did get Callahan, could one of them slide to 3LW?   Or has Callahan ever played the left side?

Jake was tried on the left by Hitchcock when he came into the league in Columbus, he HATED it, fought it tooth and nail. Both Voracek and even more so Brassard were thought of in CBJ land as spoiled pampered brats especially when Hitch was ran out. Rick Nash palyed left or right, killed penalties and completely bought into Hitch's system while Voracek only wanted to play on the right and Brassard was a healthy scratch if he had a bad night in the dot on faceoffs the night before. 

Looking back I would say it was a bit of immaturity on the part of the two kids combined with an outdated overly authoritive coach bullying his young charges. I am sure you guys remember the same from Hitch in his time with Philly. I just remember the more he pushed, the more the two of them pushed back and he pushed all the harder. I don't remember ever seeing Voracek tried on the left after that at least post Hitch in Columbus.

17 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I am sure you guys remember the same from Hitch in his time with Philly

All I remember from Hitch's time in Philly is an uptight golf pro.

Oh, and trading Patrick Sharp for a Dunkin Donuts drive-thru guy.

Yeah, all of that sounds like him.

I didn't think I remembered Voracek on the left.  I'm fairly sure I don't remember Simmonds over there either.  It's really not necessarily as easy as all that.   I think in the offensive zone it doesn't matter as much.  You're going to drift toward where your strong.  That means Simmonds goes to the net.  That means Voracek hangs onto the puck too long and tries to stickhandle through the population of Akron.

But if you're not at all used to it and have a very dominant left or right, playing on the opposite side on defense can be challenging.  Even chipping up the wall, if you're used to doing it on your forehand or backhand, having to switch takes some time.   If someone is basically the hockey version of a switch-hitter, that's fine.  But if vision, thinking, etc. is overly dominant to one-side, it's really not as easy as all that.

12 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

As a Bolts fan, would you give up Kucherov if it meant getting Karlsson. Brayden Point played well in the playoffs this past season and Kucherov is probably looking for a big payday. 

This would be an interesting dilemma.

In all the possible scenarios I had thought of where Erik Karlsson could end up in Tampa, I never really thought that Nikita Kucherov would be the big piece going out.

Of course, that IS a possibility if Yzerman is determined to get #65 wearing Bolt blue, and yes, Kucherov will likely demand at LEAST Stamkos money (Stammer did take a discount to stay in TB though... $8.5M per)...but probably more towards his actual market value.

I am actually torn on this.

On the one hand, Nikita Kucherov is a top flight winger that most teams go out of their way to get and keep.

Kuch's production will NOT be easily replaced at that position by anyone currently on the roster.

And he seems to have brought out the best in Steve Stamkos, as #91, despite most people saying his numbers "aren't good enough for a 1C", has actually become a pretty good two way player while STILL putting up great numbers.

On the other hand, we are talking Erik Karlsson.

The type of defensemen that simply don't come around very often, and perhaps the kind that you can count on one hand that are spread throughout the league.

Still in his prime, still can produce....and if he helped carry the sometimes streaky, sometimes messy Ottawa Senators, imagine what he could do on a team (even without a Nikita Kucherov) that has talent, speed, and ability up n down the lineup.

And yes...HE will cost a lot to keep.

But back to the question:

I look at this way.

I expect any haul for Erik Karlsson to be large.

Word was, if the Lightning were gonna get him, they likely would have to give up a 1st rounder, maybe a 2nd rounder too..... a top prospect (maybe an Anthony Cirelli , Center/winger, or Cal Foote, defense), AND a top young roster player (Brayden Point or Mikhail Sergachev).  

If the Bolts were to give up Kucherov, then I expect there be not much else that would need to be given up because Kucherov himself is worth almost as much as Karlsson all by himself...and I say ALMOST, because I think we all know the elite defenseman is always harder to come by than the elite forward.

So...if the price is Kuch AND all those picks and prospects for Karlsson...then I say NO.

That is just too much, even for the Lightning, to give up for one guy, even if the guy is an elite defenseman like Karlsson.

If the price is Kuch and maybe a pick or ONE prospect, then you know what? I would actually be ok with that.

The Bolts will simply have to get their goals from the whole to help make up for Nikita's high octane production.....but they would then have Karlsson on the back end to help facilitate that...which means, between having Karlsson AND Hedman on the blueline, the forwards can expect to get more scoring chances and many will see their production go up across the board.

Of course, there is the matter of salaires, moving out other expensive players, etc, etc.....so yea, that complicates matters.

And yea, if Ottawa is insistent on the freakin Bobby Ryan thing, that definitely mucks things up too.....

But looking at it strictly from a players/picks swapping teams standpoint....I am ok trading Kuch for Karlsson provided any "extras" going Ottawa's way aren't very extravagant.
If Ottawa wants a bunch of stuff like what I mentioned, ON TOP of Kucherov, then I say NO.

Leaving Kuch out of it, if the Sens want the multiplayers and picks, then yea, I would say Karlsson is worth a couple young players and 1st and 2nd round picks.

@ruxpin

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/philadelphia-flyers-jakub-voracek-left-wing-shuffle-struggling-121415

That link is a few years ago, Voracek was struggling mightily after signing his long term deal with the Flyers and they moved him to the left wing temporarily with Couts and Simmonds. So he can play it in a pinch but he is so much better suited for the right side.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

This would be an interesting dilemma.

In all the possible scenarios I had thought of where Erik Karlsson could end up in Tampa, I never really thought that Nikita Kucherov would be the big piece going out.

Of course, that IS a possibility if Yzerman is determined to get #65 wearing Bolt blue, and yes, Kucherov will likely demand at LEAST Stamkos money (Stammer did take a discount to stay in TB though... $8.5M per)...but probably more towards his actual market value.

I am actually torn on this.

On the one hand, Nikita Kucherov is a top flight winger that most teams go out of their way to get and keep.

Kuch's production will NOT be easily replaced at that position by anyone currently on the roster.

And he seems to have brought out the best in Steve Stamkos, as #91, despite most people saying his numbers "aren't good enough for a 1C", has actually become a pretty good two way player while STILL putting up great numbers.

On the other hand, we are talking Erik Karlsson.

The type of defensemen that simply don't come around very often, and perhaps the kind that you can count on one hand that are spread throughout the league.

Still in his prime, still can produce....and if he helped carry the sometimes streaky, sometimes messy Ottawa Senators, imagine what he could do on a team (even without a Nikita Kucherov) that has talent, speed, and ability up n down the lineup.

And yes...HE will cost a lot to keep.

But back to the question:

I look at this way.

I expect any haul for Erik Karlsson to be large.

Word was, if the Lightning were gonna get him, they likely would have to give up a 1st rounder, maybe a 2nd rounder too..... a top prospect (maybe an Anthony Cirelli , Center/winger, or Cal Foote, defense), AND a top young roster player (Brayden Point or Mikhail Sergachev).  

If the Bolts were to give up Kucherov, then I expect there be not much else that would need to be given up because Kucherov himself is worth almost as much as Karlsson all by himself...and I say ALMOST, because I think we all know the elite defenseman is always harder to come by than the elite forward.

So...if the price is Kuch AND all those picks and prospects for Karlsson...then I say NO.

That is just too much, even for the Lightning, to give up for one guy, even if the guy is an elite defenseman like Karlsson.

If the price is Kuch and maybe a pick or ONE prospect, then you know what? I would actually be ok with that.

The Bolts will simply have to get their goals from the whole to help make up for Nikita's high octane production.....but they would then have Karlsson on the back end to help facilitate that...which means, between having Karlsson AND Hedman on the blueline, the forwards can expect to get more scoring chances and many will see their production go up across the board.

Of course, there is the matter of salaires, moving out other expensive players, etc, etc.....so yea, that complicates matters.

And yea, if Ottawa is insistent on the freakin Bobby Ryan thing, that definitely mucks things up too.....

But looking at it strictly from a players/picks swapping teams standpoint....I am ok trading Kuch for Karlsson provided any "extras" going Ottawa's way aren't very extravagant.
If Ottawa wants a bunch of stuff like what I mentioned, ON TOP of Kucherov, then I say NO.

Leaving Kuch out of it, if the Sens want the multiplayers and picks, then yea, I would say Karlsson is worth a couple young players and 1st and 2nd round picks.

Thanks for your response. If the sticking point now is Melnyk's insistence of including Bobby Ryan in the trade then the only team being able to do that is Vegas. But if Karlsson has his heart on joining the Bolts then I can't see McPhee making that trade. Melnyk's interference might end costing the Sens big time in terms of what they get back in a trade for Karlsson. The one thing going for the Bolts is how Yzerman has built the farm system so if they did trade Kucherov for Karlsson that they could probably withstand the loss of Kucherov with another player within the organization. A part of me hopes the Bolts end up with Karlsson because it would cause a big road block in the Leafs ever getting out of the division for the next five years at least and that would piss off all the Leafs fans I know since they signed Tavares.

@Lindbergh31

One other thing that occurred to me while I was posting the answer to your question:

If a deal does materialize where both Kucherov and Karlsson are involved, there almost CERTAINLY will have to be a third team involved.

Not only to make the aforementioned salary situations work, but Ottawa, by making this deal, will supposedly be looking towards the future.

While Kucherov certainly is an elite player NOW, by the time the Senators are ready to compete again, he will be older and likely not as good....so his prime years would be wasted while the Sens figure out just what the hell they are doing over there.

And like I said, the Bolts likely wouldn't give up as much WITH Kucherov, as they would if say, Ottawa asked for young players/picks instead....so that leaves Ottawa with the very good Kucherov, and maybe a player and a pick.....doesn't seem like a whole lot to get proper rebuild going.

So I think a third team would need to be involved for Ottawa to either turn around and flip Kucherov to (they likely will give the Sens the big package for Kuch, to go along with whatever they got from the Lightning), OR, that third team, from the very beginning, receives Kuch, the Bolts receive Karlsson, some other high salaries are moved out (either to that 3rd team or Ottawa themselves), and the Sens ultimately end up with a nice collection of picks, young roster players, and prospects from the combined TB Lightning and whomever the 3rd team would be.

At least that way, Ottawa is assured to be given the raw materials to help get them started on a proper rebuild.

All that, of course, assumes the Ottawa front office is aware and on point.

Unfortunately, the way they are going about their business, it doesn't look that way...……...and ultimately, Karlsson would have to be let go for much, much less than they should have gotten (anyone taking bets Stevie Y is perhaps playing a GM game of 'chicken' with Dorian? :bigteeth: ), or Karlsson walks after next year with no return for the Sens...….. ala John Tavares and the Islanders.

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@Lindbergh31

One other thing that occurred to me while I was posting the answer to your question:

If a deal does materialize where both Kucherov and Karlsson are involved, there almost CERTAINLY will have to be a third team involved.

Not only to make the aforementioned salary situations work, but Ottawa, by making this deal, will supposedly be looking towards the future.

While Kucherov certainly is an elite player NOW, by the time the Senators are ready to compete again, he will be older and likely not as good....so his prime years would be wasted while the Sens figure out just what the hell they are doing over there.

And like I said, the Bolts likely wouldn't give up as much WITH Kucherov, as they would if say, Ottawa asked for young players/picks instead....so that leaves Ottawa with the very good Kucherov, and maybe a player and a pick.....doesn't seem like a whole lot to get proper rebuild going.

So I think a third team would need to be involved for Ottawa to either turn around and flip Kucherov to (they likely will give the Sens the big package for Kuch, to go along with whatever they got from the Lightning), OR, that third team, from the very beginning, receives Kuch, the Bolts receive Karlsson, some other high salaries are moved out (either to that 3rd team or Ottawa themselves), and the Sens ultimately end up with a nice collection of picks, young roster players, and prospects from the combined TB Lightning and whomever the 3rd team would be.

At least that way, Ottawa is assured to be given the raw materials to help get them started on a proper rebuild.

All that, of course, assumes the Ottawa front office is aware and on point.

Unfortunately, the way they are going about their business, it doesn't look that way...……...and ultimately, Karlsson would have to be let go for much, much less than they should have gotten (anyone taking bets Stevie Y is perhaps playing a GM game of 'chicken' with Dorian? :bigteeth: ), or Karlsson walks after next year with no return for the Sens...….. ala John Tavares and the Islanders.

That's the thing if Karlsson truly wants to go to Tampa this year or next summer than he can play "chicken" with Dorian. As for Kucherov, Ottawa could get him as part of a package for Karlsson then flip him to another team for prospects and draft picks. When you look at Tampa Bay's cap situation, I think it will come down to either keeping Kucherov or Point going forward and I think Yzerman likes Point better. Kucherov is an elite player but he's going to want a large contract next summer.

49 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

That's the thing if Karlsson truly wants to go to Tampa this year or next summer than he can play "chicken" with Dorian. As for Kucherov, Ottawa could get him as part of a package for Karlsson then flip him to another team for prospects and draft picks. When you look at Tampa Bay's cap situation, I think it will come down to either keeping Kucherov or Point going forward and I think Yzerman likes Point better. Kucherov is an elite player but he's going to want a large contract next summer.

Then of course, there is the possibility that Erik Karlsson just gets dealt somewhere other than TB for a smaller return (either before the season starts or at the trade dealine), the then becomes a free agent, and Steve Yzerman could attempt to sign him then.

At that point, TB will still have Kucherov, maybe have bought out Callahan by then, and other contracts such as Coburn's, Girardi's, and Stralman's will have expired....all big enough numbers to help make the room for Karlsson's salary.

It would mean that the Bolts may be 'top heavy' on defense...meaning, after the top four of Hedman, Karlsson, McDonagh, and Sergachev, they will have to rely on lower cost/lower ability defensemen to round out 5-7.

Would the Bolts STILL need to move out a player to have a cushion on the cap?

Maybe Kucherov STILL gets dealt...or maybe the Bolts find a way to move either Tyler Johnson ($5M) or Ondrej Palat ($5.3M)….though BOTH have NMC clauses.

For now, I will just assume that the Lightning will be going into the 2018-19 season with the guys they have now, and start looking for common ground with Kucherov on a new contract.

I have already admitted to getting a bit swept up in this Karlsson thing, and I would rather think about how the Bolts can win WITHOUT him because him coming to Tampa Bay is far from guaranteed....and may not even happen ever.

23 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Kucherov just got his mammoth contract. It's becoming tight to bring Karlsson...

Most certainly.

And one really can't blame Yzerman from just tending to his own in-house business (Kucherov), and not sitting around waiting for the Senators' decision on how they want to handle the Karlsson situation.

That said, the scenario still stands where, somehow, Erik Karlsson ends up in TB as a free agent.

He could get dealt elsewhere as a rental, but might still end up with the Lightning (and his alleged buddy Victor Hedman) as a FA signee.....

When EK does become a UFA, the contracts of Anton Stralman ($4.5M), Braydon Coburn ($3.7M), and Dan Girardi ($3.0M) will all be expired.....and Ryan Callahan's $5.8M will have just one more year left....assuming the Bolts haven't moved his contract out or bought it out by then.

Would still be a tight fit because then the Bolts need to worry about guys like Vasy and Point getting paid...then Sergachev after that (again, assuming Point and/or Serge aren't part of some other deal), and I am sure they would like at least a small cushion in any trade deadline.

Just sayin Karlsson is still possible....but now, not likely via trade....would have to be via free agency if Yzerman and he still want to try and make something work.

Kucherov for that term for $9.5M is a testament to the tax laws in Florida. That deal would have cost GMs in other markets more money.

--edit--

Actually, in a bunch of ways, Tampa is a great spot for hockey players.

-Taxes, as already mentioned. For Kucherov to have the same net pay if he were a Leaf, then Toronto would have to spend just shy of $11M AAV.

-Successful team run by intelligent people, including one of the most respected hockey men in history.

-Core is locked up long term.

-Less media pressure.

-Lack of insane fans.

-Your winter weather is the opposite of cities like Edmonton or Winnipeg.

@JR Ewing

Yep.
That no state tax thing is definitely an advantage....one that Yzerman is not shy about using.

Also, I think a guy like Stamkos taking $8.5M to stay there and try to win may have helped set the standard.

If a guy like him didn't "go home" to Toronto and make $12M or so, then a guy like Kucherov can take a bit less than he would have elsewhere for the same reason.

Victor Hedman himself is locked up long term too for $7.87M AAV.....so you got top level players making probably less with the Bolts than they would elsewhere....but have the tax advantage, and a legit chance to win every year for the forseeable.

If at ALL possible, if Yzerman were to try and get Karlsson in as a FA after this coming season, I wonder if #65 would fall right into that mindset as well (take less in a tax free state with a chance to win every year for the next few), or will he still be insistent on a full blown market value contract? 

3 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

You gotta be thrilled having the core locked up long term with many not even quite in their prime. 

Now can we have Yzerman back?

Yes!

Quite thrilled!

Now for the hard part....
Actually winning the Cup or Cups!!

That is always the rub, isn't it?
Assemble all you want...but don't mean squat unless you can win with it.

10 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Most certainly.

And one really can't blame Yzerman from just tending to his own in-house business (Kucherov), and not sitting around waiting for the Senators' decision on how they want to handle the Karlsson situation.

That said, the scenario still stands where, somehow, Erik Karlsson ends up in TB as a free agent.

He could get dealt elsewhere as a rental, but might still end up with the Lightning (and his alleged buddy Victor Hedman) as a FA signee.....

When EK does become a UFA, the contracts of Anton Stralman ($4.5M), Braydon Coburn ($3.7M), and Dan Girardi ($3.0M) will all be expired.....and Ryan Callahan's $5.8M will have just one more year left....assuming the Bolts haven't moved his contract out or bought it out by then.

Would still be a tight fit because then the Bolts need to worry about guys like Vasy and Point getting paid...then Sergachev after that (again, assuming Point and/or Serge aren't part of some other deal), and I am sure they would like at least a small cushion in any trade deadline.

Just sayin Karlsson is still possible....but now, not likely via trade....would have to be via free agency if Yzerman and he still want to try and make something work.

As a Lightning fan you must be happy about the Kucherov signing, I was surprised Yzerman signed him this quick. I guess now Yzerman can concentrate on trading for Karlsson knowing what he has going forward with the cap for next year and beyond. Maybe by signing Kucherov it might end up helping the Bolts get Karlsson.

7 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

As a Lightning fan you must be happy about the Kucherov signing, I was surprised Yzerman signed him this quick. I guess now Yzerman can concentrate on trading for Karlsson knowing what he has going forward with the cap for next year and beyond. Maybe by signing Kucherov it might end up helping the Bolts get Karlsson.

If I'm a Bolts fan, I'm happy with this signing, but I fail to see how this helps with Karlsson.  Because the issue was never next year; it's the beyond.

Right now, they have $13M in cap space for 2019-20, with Kucherov's new deal.   Assuming Karlsson gets the $11M Doughty got, that leaves $2M.   Unsigned are Point, Gourde,  Koekkoek, and Dotchin.    Only 7 forwards signed and 4 defensemen (including Karlsson in this scenario).     So, with $2M, they need to give significant bridge contracts to Point & Gourde (or lock them up) and sign 11 total players (in addition to Karlsson).  That's fine if they've decided they're going to send Point and Gourde as tribute for Karlsson, but they still need to sign 11 players for $2M.  And they still have Vasilevskiy and Sergachev the following season.

I think we can effectively rule out Karlsson in Tampa unless Kucherov was signed to give him an actual amount so other teams know what they're trading for.  I doubt this is the case, but they'd instantly have $11.5M with the above scenario with 12 positions to sign.  It's still incredibly tight but a little more possible.    To tell you the truth, even without Karlsson they're going to need to be creative to keep Gourde & Point, because without Karlsson they need to sign 12 players with $13M to play with.

I don't see Karlsson  happening in Tampa.

The other thing with Tampa is they're giving out contract clauses like opioids  at the free clinic.

4 Modified NTCs

4 NTCs

2 NMCs

That's nuts.  I think the tax thing that was mentioned probably contributes to that.   The player maybe took less gross knowing they came out even or ahead and, if traded, they'd end up behind the market?

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

If I'm a Bolts fan, I'm happy with this signing, but I fail to see how this helps with Karlsson.  Because the issue was never next year; it's the beyond.

Right now, they have $13M in cap space for 2019-20, with Kucherov's new deal.   Assuming Karlsson gets the $11M Doughty got, that leaves $2M.   Unsigned are Point, Gourde,  Koekkoek, and Dotchin.    Only 7 forwards signed and 4 defensemen (including Karlsson in this scenario).     So, with $2M, they need to give significant bridge contracts to Point & Gourde (or lock them up) and sign 11 total players (in addition to Karlsson).  That's fine if they've decided they're going to send Point and Gourde as tribute for Karlsson, but they still need to sign 11 players for $2M.  And they still have Vasilevskiy and Sergachev the following season.

I think we can effectively rule out Karlsson in Tampa unless Kucherov was signed to give him an actual amount so other teams know what they're trading for.  I doubt this is the case, but they'd instantly have $11.5M with the above scenario with 12 positions to sign.  It's still incredibly tight but a little more possible.    To tell you the truth, even without Karlsson they're going to need to be creative to keep Gourde & Point, because without Karlsson they need to sign 12 players with $13M to play with.

I don't see Karlsson  happening in Tampa.

If I were Yzerman, I would not lock up Gourde as part of my core, and would much rather dangle him as trade bait than keep him around for very much money. He could go on to have a very good career, but I think it's not the best of bets. I'm VERY leery of guys who come out of nowhere, at the age of 26, and put up more at the NHL level than they ever did in 5 years in the AHL.

If they gamble on him and win, it's luck.

13 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

If I were Yzerman, I would not lock up Gourde as part of my core, and would much rather dangle him as trade bait than keep him around for very much money. He could go on to have a very good career, but I think it's not the best of bets. I'm VERY leery of guys who come out of nowhere, at the age of 26, and put up more at the NHL level than they ever did in 5 years in the AHL.

If they gamble on him and win, it's luck.

I actually agree with this.  I think that's a good call.

Archived