Red Wings potential line combinations

yave1964

Forgetting the defense (oh if I only could, lol) just a quick look at the Wings forwards and potential combinations.

WOW is this a fun offseason, Zadina in the draft, Vanek coming back tot he fold, the very good chance that Rasmussen will drack the top six, just a lot going on that for the first time in a long time makes mefeel hopeful for the future.

LIST OF CENTERS FIGHTING FOR ICE TIME

ZETTERBERG

LARKIN

NIELSEN

HELM

GLENDENING 

TO me they rank in this order, Glendening is a solid faceoff guy and penalty killer who plays well defensively but we were close to dealing him at the deadline, it didn't quite work out but I would like to see him dealt for a third or fourth rounder and Dominic Turgeon being the first callup in case of injury to this position. Helm as a 4C is playing to his strength instead of asking him to do too much.

WINGERS

MANTHA

VANEK

RASMUSSEN

ZADINA

ATHANASIOU

ABDELKADER

SVECHNIKOV

BERTUZZI

FRK

NYQUIST

Lets just agree that Frk is the 13th forward sitting in the press box ready to play in case of injury, and Svechnikov is sent to the AHL as Zadina and Rasmussen must remain on the team or be sent back to Juniors. That leaves

Mantha

Nyquist

Rassmussen

Vanek

Abdelkader

Bertuzzi

Athanasiou

Zadina

I think I love the idea of Abby and Athanasiou teaming with Helm on the fourth line giving us a very skilled 4th line with speed.

Rasmussen teaming with Bertuzzi on the 3rd line with Nielsen, size and grit and a net front presence in Rasmussen o the third line.

Nyquist and Vanek played very well together last time out, teaming the two of them with Zetterberg makes for a very skilled veteran line. Like Abby on the 4th, Rasmussen on the third and now Vanek on the 2nd it gives the Wings someone who crashes the net on those three lines and a veteran passer and a finisher.

The top line, IMHO needs Larkin down the middle with Zadina on one side and Mantha on the other. I love the idea of Lark/Zadina together and Mantha again gives a net crasher. This would be a very skilled line.

If Rasmussen or Bert or Zadina prove not be to up for the task on the wing, Svechnikov is the first recall. 

@yave1964

And I guess I missed it, but apparently the NHL ruled that Little Z can, indeed, play in the AHL, which gives the Wings some options, dang it! A part of me wanted the Wings to have to choose juniors or NHL just to make them bring the kid up. Now, I wonder if they will. I would LOVE to see him in the winged wheel sweater on the ice on opening night! Not sure I’m gonna get my wish.

Might have to move Glendening.

Archived