Matt Cullen

1 hour ago, notfondajane said:

Did I hear correctly that Matt Cullen signed with the Pens for $650000? 

Why, at 42?

Why not?

Guy still wants to play, still keeps himself in great shape and an organization he is familiar with (and won with) was willing to give him a spot, so why not?

He managed 11 G and 22 points playing 3rd or 4th line center for the Wild last year...and he did it with just under 12 min avg ice time.

Not too shabby from your bottom six center.....and I would imagine on a more offense oriented team like Pittsburgh, he should at least be able to match that production, if not go a bit past it.

Oh, and he STILL managed to post above 50% at the face off dot.

I wanted the Wild to revamp their bottom six (and for the most part they have), however, Matt Cullen was a guy I wouldn't have minded if they kept on board.

For his salary, his experience and intelligence certainly will be helpful to the team.

He had a great year, above expectations, when he won the Pens' last Cup.

But I have to admit he really slowed down last season in Minnesota and was quite disappointing. Personally, I would have expected a bit better. Still a "locker room" guy with a decent face-off pct, but this contract will be his last.

1 hour ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

He had a great year, above expectations, when he won the Pens' last Cup.

But I have to admit he really slowed down last season in Minnesota and was quite disappointing. Personally, I would have expected a bit better. Still a "locker room" guy with a decent face-off pct, but this contract will be his last.

I hope he has a good year in all departments! He would be a good candidate for a coach somewhere!

Not a bad signing at all.  At age 42, he's only going to play fourth line time of about 8 minutes a game.  He'll have no problem physically with that at all.   With the experience he brings, and a great faceoff guy, he'll be a great addition to pass on his knowledge to the younger kids he plays with.   Oh, and he'll be a great addition on the PK.    

For Min salary, this is great.

Archived