Quantum Leap: Minnesota Wild Edition, 3 Moments in Team History We Would Change

CreaseAndAssist

10 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

And that's where great coaches stand out. They know (unlike the Wild) how to capitalize on utilizing the talent they have to get the most out of them. IMO any coach can come up with whatever scheme but if they don't have the proper pieces to plug into those schemes they're not going to get anywhere. Great coaches morph their schemes to match the player talents they have.

Or they easily recognize how unrealistic such suggestions really are.  Oh yea, run that play because it worked when the Packers tried it.  Who threw that pass?  Who caught that pass?  Who do we have throwing that pass?  Oh...and who do we have catching that pass?  Oh, see the difference now?  

Lemaire knew the system would make the team competitive by keeping games close and if we could get just enough offense we could win.  But we weren't going to do that trying to just trade goals and scoring chances.  Luckily management created a team that was a fairly decent skating team despite a few super slow guys.  

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Or they easily recognize how unrealistic such suggestions really are.  Oh yea, run that play because it worked when the Packers tried it.  Who threw that pass?  Who caught that pass?  Who do we have throwing that pass?  Oh...and who do we have catching that pass?  Oh, see the difference now?  

Lemaire knew the system would make the team competitive by keeping games close and if we could get just enough offense we could win.  But we weren't going to do that trying to just trade goals and scoring chances.  Luckily management created a team that was a fairly decent skating team despite a few super slow guys.  

That's not what I meant. Great coaches realize some of those passing options may not be their strength so while they may line up in what appears to be a passing formation they still run the ball.

14 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

That's not what I meant. Great coaches realize some of those passing options may not be their strength so while they may line up in what appears to be a passing formation they still run the ball.

Any coach with half a brain knows what their team does well and where it struggles.  Exploiting your opponent certainly can be done with trickery or a well-timed counter.  Most every offense uses some form of misdirection.  

On 7/16/2018 at 7:38 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Any coach with half a brain knows what their team does well and where it struggles.  Exploiting your opponent certainly can be done with trickery or a well-timed counter.  Most every offense uses some form of misdirection.  

I know. I've done it as a women's bar league softball coach [champions], as a coed bar league volleyball team manager/player [runner up], as a captain of a coed bar league dart team [state runner up] and heavily influenced the the long time team manager (he managed it for some 20 years) on a bowling team [league champions].  Prior to me influencing them to make some changes none of those teams were ever in the top 5. Under my encouragement they all finished 1st or 2nd in a matter of 1 to 3 years.

In darts for 20 sum years the bar we played at sent 15-20 teams to the state tournament and none of them ever placed higher than 8th. Placing 2nd though in just my 3rd year... Not bad considering all those other teams (they sent 22 teams that year) didn't want any of us on their team (because I refused to drink the water they were drinking.) They were 4-person teams in Cricket.

The bowling team went from not ever being ranked to placing 7th in the state tournament. I'll be the first to admit I suck at bowling but I went home with money in all four categories where they had payouts. 🤗

Most teams lose/fail by mind-phucking themselves and I'll admit it, when it comes to being competitive I love mind-phucking others at their own game.

-

Something worth noting: Those weren't kids either - they were grown adults who needed better guidance than what they used to be accustomed to.

18 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

I know. I've done it as a women's bar league softball coach [champions], as a coed bar league volleyball team manager/player [runner up], as a captain of a coed bar league dart team [state runner up] and heavily influenced the the long time team manager (he managed it for some 20 years) on a bowling team [league champions].  Prior to me influencing them to make some changes none of those teams were ever in the top 5. Under my encouragement they all finished 1st or 2nd in a matter of 1 to 3 years.

In darts for 20 sum years the bar we played at sent 15-20 teams to the state tournament and none of them ever placed higher than 8th. Placing 2nd though in just my 3rd year... Not bad considering all those other teams (they sent 22 teams that year) didn't want any of us on their team (because I refused to drink the water they were drinking.) They were 4-person teams in Cricket.

The bowling team went from not ever being ranked to placing 7th in the state tournament. I'll be the first to admit I suck at bowling but I went home with money in all four categories where they had payouts. 🤗

Most teams lose/fail by mind-phucking themselves and I'll admit it, when it comes to being competitive I love mind-phucking others at their own game.

-

Something worth noting: Those weren't kids either - they were grown adults who needed better guidance than what they used to be accustomed to.

I didn't know bar league anything really had a coach.  I thought the beer was all the 'aiming fluid' anyone needed, strategy schmategy, it usually came down whether you had a ringer or two and the rest of the team didn't do anything to screw it up.  

The mental game is important, I've tried to instill some of that.  But its often an intangible; a person either has the mental toughness / focus or they self-destruct and crumble under the pressure.  

14 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I didn't know bar league anything really had a coach.  I thought the beer was all the 'aiming fluid' anyone needed, strategy schmategy, it usually came down whether you had a ringer or two and the rest of the team didn't do anything to screw it up.  

The mental game is important, I've tried to instill some of that.  But its often an intangible; a person either has the mental toughness / focus or they self-destruct and crumble under the pressure.  

Seeing you're a guy much younger than me I can humbly understand why your viewpoints at times can be limited.

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(yawn)  

Let me lay something on you. As pompous and knowledgeable as you think you are you really are limited when it comes down to ties and bonds between people in a mentoring capacity.

You go around assuming you have answers to everything and while you've had a boatload of games and toys to play with there's a huge gap between fantasy and reality.

I got married to gal with a daughter from a previous marriage. Yeah, she called me 'daddy' but I wasn't her daddy. At the very least I wanted to be what she wanted out of a daddy but I knew I could never be her dad. I was prepared for this because I wasn't full of myself and I wasn't about to assume I could fool others, especially her. So I tried my ass off to be the greatest father ever to her. At my wedding everyone told me how great a dad I was going to be for her... A few years later I had children of my own. There is a difference between people telling me how great a dad I was going to be for a step daughter, than actually being a father of my own children... The gap is immeasurable. 

You have zero to draw on in that capacity so stop with the arrogant flirting with yourself by assuming you have knowledge beyond your years when it comes to mentoring others. 

6 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Let me lay something on you. As pompous and knowledgeable as you think you are you really are limited when it comes down to ties and bonds between people in a mentoring capacity.

You go around assuming you have answers to everything and while you've had a boatload of games and toys to play with there's a huge gap between fantasy and reality.

I got married to gal with a daughter from a previous marriage. Yeah, she called me 'daddy' but I wasn't her daddy. At the very least I wanted to be what she wanted out of a daddy but I knew I could never be her dad. I was prepared for this because I wasn't full of myself and I wasn't about to assume I could fool others, especially her. So I tried my ass off to be the greatest father ever to her. At my wedding everyone told me how great a dad I was going to be for her... A few years later I had children of my own. There is a difference between people telling me how great a dad I was going to be for a step daughter, than actually being a father of my own children... The gap is immeasurable. 

You have zero to draw on in that capacity so stop with the arrogant flirting with yourself by assuming you have knowledge beyond your years when it comes to mentoring others. 

Oh you're a parent and I'm not so I apparently can't mentor anyone because of that?  (shrugs)  I am not sure how any of this applies to me.  I am not trying to be a parent, but a person who can provide perspective and guidance possibly?  I think I can do that.  I am not seeking your approval or your understanding.  Glad to hear you've attempted to be a good parent, every kid deserves that.  Beyond that, think what you wish...

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Oh you're a parent and I'm not so I apparently can't mentor anyone because of that?  (shrugs)  I am not sure how any of this applies to me.  I am not trying to be a parent, but a person who can provide perspective and guidance possibly?  I think I can do that.  I am not seeking your approval or your understanding.  Glad to hear you've attempted to be a good parent, every kid deserves that.  Beyond that, think what you wish...

^ That's precisely the type reply I anticipated. Thanks for still trying to 'school' me.

Archived