RIP Ray Emery, 35 yrs old

ruxpin

What better way to celebrate Ray Emery, than by watching him do his thing, such as the time he beat the hell out of Martin Biron, and then fought Andrew Peters immediately after, and smiled the entire time?

21 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Ray Emery has reportedly died after drowning in Hamilton, Ontario.  Condolences to his family and friends.  Rest in piece, Razor.

He was 35.

Ray Emery 3.jpg

A lot of goalies are still playing near the top of their game at 35.  I always liked Razor.  I still feel that if They'd sat him instead of shooting his hip full of cortisone and other steroids so he could keep playing, he might not have had the catastrophic hip failure and at that point, who knows.  

No matter what, this is a real tragedy and my heart goes out to those closest to him.

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

A lot of goalies are still playing near the top of their game at 35.  I always liked Razor.  I still feel that if They'd sat him instead of shooting his hip full of cortisone and other steroids so he could keep playing, he might not have had the catastrophic hip failure and at that point, who knows.  

No matter what, this is a real tragedy and my heart goes out to those closest to him.

Guess you'll never know but his hip issues was a circulation issue more than anything else.

Same thing that ended Bo Jackson's career.

Maybe if he had the surgery sooner it could have prolonged it. Yet not sure if that was the case why he put it off.

And it could also been just bad medical advice or to do so.

Regardless sad the same.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Guess you'll never know but his hip issues was a circulation issue more than anything else.

Same thing that ended Bo Jackson's career.

Maybe if he had the surgery sooner it could have prolonged it. Yet not sure if that was the case why he put it off.

And it could also been just bad medical advice or to do so.

Regardless sad the same.

It's little talked about in sports, but the (legal) steroids they often pump these guys with to reduce inflammation in those injuries where a tear or a break isn't really apparent can cause all sorts of other problems including a loss in bone density which can weaken bones and the connections with tendons.  This is made more acute by local injections of the stuff.  

I'm fairly convinced it's why Razor's hip bone broke any could also be why Ryan Howard's achilles tore.  Ray in particular had been given multiple local injections of at least cortisone leading up to the injury because the team had just started winning again.

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It's little talked about in sports, but the (legal) steroids they often pump these guys with to reduce inflammation in those injuries where a tear or a break isn't really apparent can cause all sorts of other problems including a loss in bone density which can weaken bones and the connections with tendons.  This is made more acute by local injections of the stuff.  

I'm fairly convinced it's why Razor's hip bone broke any could also be why Ryan Howard's achilles tore.  Ray in particular had been given multiple local injections of at least cortisone leading up to the injury because the team had just started winning again.

That is just theory with the cortisone leading to cartilage break down.

He hasn't been proven yet it hasn't been disproven.

But it is why I refused to use one in my ankle and knee when I had those two different injuries.

I didn't want to take the chance.

But as I said his issue with was a circulation thing I forget the term but it lead to his hip issues that he had fixed but maybe the damage was already done.

As you say the cortisone mask it so you can't feel the pain as well as further damage.

So yeah had he not had those he may have got it fixed. Due mostly maybe to bad medical advice.

Can't say for sure only speculate.

On 7/15/2018 at 4:58 PM, FD19372 said:

Maybe, but Ray could have been going fishing, and just decided to go for a swim.Not meaning to question what you say. I don't know. RIP Ray.

Thats my assumption too.  Fishing at 6:30 makes sense to me.  You leave before dawn, you might get a little bored and punchy and even hot by 6:30 in July.

hard to imagine being too drunk.  If we’re thinking it was from the night before, most folks get tired by dawn.  If he’d started drinking that morning, getting really drunk before 6:30 is a little hard to imagine. 

My guess is they were just goofing off and Ray misjudged his situation. 

Its okay lay for it to be sad.  It doesn’t have to be his own fault somehow.  

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is just theory with the cortisone leading to cartilage break down.

He hasn't been proven yet it hasn't been disproven.

But it is why I refused to use one in my ankle and knee when I had those two different injuries.

I didn't want to take the chance.

But as I said his issue with was a circulation thing I forget the term but it lead to his hip issues that he had fixed but maybe the damage was already done.

As you say the cortisone mask it so you can't feel the pain as well as further damage.

So yeah had he not had those he may have got it fixed. Due mostly maybe to bad medical advice.

Can't say for sure only speculate.

In occasional usage, things like cortisone aren’t likely to cause the kind of thing i’m talking about. It’s the frequent usage that probably dangerous and simply hasn’t been studied because it’s suspected and that would make most studies unethical.  

Steroids that are infused or circulate through the blood stream do definitely cause loss of bone density and osteoporosis. 

Anecdotal evidence strongly suggests frequent localized injections should cause similar problems near the injection sights.  

I remember after his hip replacement the Doctors cautioned Ray about playing hockey again.  They told him they wanted him to still be able to walk in ten years.  He told them as long as he can play hockey for five, he’ll be fine.  

That was about 8 years ago.  

Rest In Peace Rayzor. 

Has there been any more news on what happened to him and how he died i know obviously drowning but did he diving into shallow water and hit the bottom or something of that nature.

I had a friend of mine dive into shallow water and break his neck and was paralyzed from the neck down ever since we were in 7th grade.

I just hadn't seen anything besides it happened at 6 am.

Not sure who goes swimming at 6 am besides dedicated swimmers.

Regardless sad all the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived