RIP Ray Emery, 35 yrs old

ruxpin

15 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Who goes swimming at 6:00 AM in Hamilton Harbor?

Sad, as this seems totally preventable.

RIP Emery

Maybe, but Ray could have been going fishing, and just decided to go for a swim.Not meaning to question what you say. I don't know. RIP Ray.

10 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Who goes swimming at 6:00 AM in Hamilton Harbor?

Honest question, but why not?  Is there something specific about Hamilton Harbor that makes this a bad idea?  I've swam elsewhere at that time of morning, so...

But not in Canada.  Is it a temperature thing or a boat traffic thing or something else?

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Honest question, but why not?  Is there something specific about Hamilton Harbor that makes this a bad idea?  I've swam elsewhere at that time of morning, so...

But not in Canada.  Is it a temperature thing or a boat traffic thing or something else?

I wouldn't think the water in a busy harbor would be the place to go for a morning swim.

Wow.  This news floored me.

Former NHL goalie Ray Emery found dead after presumed drowning

a man wearing a red hat© Provided by Perform Media Channels Limited

Former NHL goalie Ray Emery was found dead Sunday afternoon at Hamilton Harbor in Ontario after he was reported missing earlier that morning, according to Hamilton Police. He was 35 years old.

Police are still confirming the cause of death, but reports surfaced that it was presumed drowning.

The NHL Alumni Association tweeted its condolences later Sunday.
Emery, 35, was reportedly swimming with friends at the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club around 6 a.m. when he didn't resurface. Rescue efforts were switched to recovery as the hours went by.

"They went out for a swim and unfortunately he did not emerge after diving in," Inspector Marty Schulenberg told The Hamilton Spectator. "We responded along with Hamilton Fire and EMS. Unfortunately, our efforts on the water and in the area just around the piers were met with negative results."

Emery played in the NHL from 2003-2015 for the Senators, Ducks, Blackhawks and Flyers. He was with the Blackhawks during the 2012-13 season, when they won the Stanley Cup.

He was arrested last year after his ex-fiancee claimed he beat her multiple times.

Wow.

Terrible news.

Wonder if he hit something when he jumped off the boat...and of alcohol was involved who knows not saying there was any. 

Just terrible news no matter the case.

Just lost a friend of the family in Afghanistan just found out about as I got home from Charleston an hour ago and then read this.

Sad weekend.

It never made the media outlets....but apparently, there was indeed a rescue attempt. With no life jackets available, Ray was tossed an inflatable beach ball by a passerby. Unfortunatly, it slipped through his legs.....

To soon??

15 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

It never made the media outlets....but apparently, there was indeed a rescue attempt. With no life jackets available, Ray was tossed an inflatable beach ball by a passerby. Unfortunatly, it slipped through his legs.....

To soon??

Oh. My. God.

Oh wow....

And I turned 34 yesterday....and this man was just 35!!

Most definitely should not have been his time......feels like just the other day we all were heckling his play style.

Life has a way of snapping us back to reality.

I hope his family finds the strength to get through this.

Just....wow... 😥

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

To soon??

Sorry, this is was in very poor taste. Having a bad day, took it out on poor Ray. 

Ontario has something like 250,000 lakes and 100,000 rivers....Hamilton Harbour has to be one of the last places I'd want to swim. There's a giant steelworks on the entire south side of the harbour...it's hideous. (no Rux the lakes and igloos aren't still frozen in Canada...it's been over 90F for most of the summer )

R.I.P Razor.

Fondly remember Emery squaring off and beating the Hell out of Holtby in what was surely one of the last goalie fights as the league said enough was enough after that one. I was on afamily vacation and remember thinking there wouldn't be any Hockey on TV that night and I turned it on just as Razor started throwing them. RIP Mr. Emery, you were truly one of a kind.....

9 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Sorry, this is was in very poor taste. Having a bad day, took it out on poor Ray. 

Nah, it was funny. Maybe too soon, but funny.  And oh my god

Surprised there was no Emery thread on here. Must have been a busy Sunday for all of us. I didn't find out until late at night. Big bummer. Like most people I think, all other things being equal in 2010, with a healthy Ray Emery in net things probably would have gone our way. RIP

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/7/15/17573938/former-flyers-goalie-ray-emery-has-passed-away-at-age-35

12 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Don't worry about it. It's not unheard of to seek humour as a release during a sad/difficult time.

Good Morning:

There was another thread, RIP Ray Emery..."  Nonetheless, he was a tremendous competitor and his comeback from medical issues was remarkable.  The NHL Network on Sirius devoted some time this morning, but the host did not open up the phones. As he stated, it is a tragedy plain and simple, with little need to elaborate.

14 hours ago, jammer2 said:

To soon??

Lol, too soon but funny. Razor was a competitor and loved to mix it up especially being a goalie. I remember watching him play for the Soo Greyhounds. R.I.P. Razor

Archived