Regular season changes--Improved playoff success?

sweetshot

Russo makes a great point in his latest podcast about the fact he feels Fenton needs to see this team play.  Zucker's deal should happen today or he could go to arbitration and we might see just a one-year deal (which means we'll probably lose him).  Beyond that, if the point is to get fresh eyes on the team...Fenton will hopefully be able to decide what he wants after seeing this team play for a season.  It might be painful, but my guess is we see more changes after a season.  

29 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Russo makes a great point in his latest podcast about the fact he feels Fenton needs to see this team play.  Zucker's deal should happen today or he could go to arbitration and we might see just a one-year deal (which means we'll probably lose him).  Beyond that, if the point is to get fresh eyes on the team...Fenton will hopefully be able to decide what he wants after seeing this team play for a season.  It might be painful, but my guess is we see more changes after a season.  

I agree, with the caveat that where they are in the standings at several points during the season, particularly at the trade deadline, may move up the changes to well before "after a season".   

3 hours ago, 4Check said:

I agree, with the caveat that where they are in the standings at several points during the season, particularly at the trade deadline, may move up the changes to well before "after a season".   

True, but I think he'll know what he has / doesn't have after 2/3rds of an NHL season...so that would make sense IMO.  

13 hours ago, 4Check said:

You make some, IMO irrefutable points.      About the best I can come up with on his behalf, he's a good penalty killer and IMO, would be a good third line checking center.    The problem with those two positives, .......5.5M per is a lot of money for what is typically a roughly 3M or less role(s).

What makes really me wonder, .........what are you, I and multiple members of this board missing?.    Granted it's VERY early in the Fenton era, but if all you state is factual, why in the world did CF (and early in his tenure apparently Fenton)  remain so infatuated by Koivu's game and leadership?   There must be a mitigating factor.   I am quite disappointed that Russo (who occasionally skates around the edges of your points) hasn't ever directly put your points in question form to either Wild GM.

I've

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:28 PM, 4Check said:

I'm non-commital.   I have no idea if Fenton has what it takes to tell the inmates that they no longer run the asylum.   IMO, his #1 job is acquiring talent.  However, it has to go hand in hand with demanding that the so called "leadership group" he inherited gets a very early smackdown if they pull the same crap of the past 6 years.

I think it depends whether his boss has his back or not.

9 hours ago, sweetshot said:

I've

I think it depends whether his boss has his back or not.

I would think that Fenton's 5 year contract is a decent point of leverage to get CL to have his back.  What has not been reported, is how many assurances Fenton made to CL to get the job in the first place (tweaking only etc).     Would love to know how much autonomy the GM and coach actually have.    

22 minutes ago, 4Check said:

I would think that Fenton's 5 year contract is a decent point of leverage to get CL to have his back.  What has not been reported, is how many assurances Fenton made to CL to get the job in the first place (tweaking only etc).     Would love to know how much autonomy the GM and coach actually have.    

That would be interesting, and I'd also like to know if that autonomy differs with GMPF vs GMCF. 

The relationships amongst the Wild's Owner/GM/Coach/Players (since Leipold took over) seems bizarre. I'm not sure I believe everything that is posted here regarding the Wild's coddling of Koivu, but it does exist.

Apparently it is a web of mystery--kind of like the NHL injury report.

Archived