Dumba Signs...

4Check

Dumba 5 years 30M.   6 per is quite the commitment.  Although the modified NTC doesn't go into effect until the final 2 yrs. of the deal.   Would love to know if the Wild are still open to the

possibility of moving him in a major deal or if he is now considered off the table.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wild re-sign Matt Dumba to 5-year, $30 million deal

Here's my take on the deal as well as the decision to hire Tim Army as coach of the Iowa Wild.  I'm ambivalent.  Russo thinks the deal was smart because if they signed another bridge pact he may be a $7 or $8 million defenseman if his production continues or goes up.  I am not convinced he's going to be consistent point-wise.  

The Dumba lovers out on Twitter are loving how this move is angering people.  (sigh)  

19 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wild re-sign Matt Dumba to 5-year, $30 million deal

Here's my take on the deal as well as the decision to hire Tim Army as coach of the Iowa Wild.  I'm ambivalent.  Russo thinks the deal was smart because if they signed another bridge pact he may be a $7 or $8 million defenseman if his production continues or goes up.  I am not convinced he's going to be consistent point-wise.  

The Dumba lovers out on Twitter are loving how this move is angering people.  (sigh)  

As an outsider i think this is a good deal especially at today's going rate.

Coming off a 14 goal 50 point season. A right handed defenseman (worth their weight in gold) who just turned 23.

If you look at his point progression in a year or two if he continues to climb in production this could turned into a helluva contract.

I have always liked Mat Dumba, so I am glad he is staying with Minnesota for the next 5 years at least.

I think he has come a long way from the time he was first brought up.

Never questioned his ability, but it was his DECISION making that sometimes left me scratching my head.

Well, when you get a young defenseman come into the league with some high expectations, I expect the pressure may sometimes spill over onto his on-ice performance.

Glad to say that slowly but surely, and STILL very young by NHL D-man standards, I think he has gotten better in the brains department....though he still has plenty of room for improvement.

And that is what the Wild are banking on. That he will fill in that improvement.

When I looked at the AAV ($6M), the number looked kinda high for a guy, who, as some have mentioned already, has been inconsistent.

Is his inconsistency due to him still learning to be an NHL caliber professional? Or is that just who he is?

I guess the Wild and their fans will be finding out...

Production-wise, he has made improvements steadily as he has put in his time in the NHL, culminating so far, with his best season points-wise this past year.

I actually WOULD take 50 points a year from him....provided he does a bunch of other things on the ice just as well.

He teases as the type of defender who really can do a bit of everything.

--First and foremost, the intelligence/decision making factor.....that has to keep getting better, then stay consistent.

--Pont production...duh...you are paying a guy $6M, you do expect him to produce either goals or assists regularly.

--Hitting and aggressiveness..... Wild need some "teeth" on the backend.  He doesn't need to be Mark Borowiecki...….but he doesn't need to be Matt Carle either..... I think Dumba has been and can continue to be a nice blend of suave and rough.

--Defensive positioning.  He has had trouble with this in the past, but again, young D-man, all that.....well, I expect this to get better too.

Bottom line:

I like keeping the player on board...a bit iffy on the amount it took to keep him but I am hoping that his play on the ice will grow into the cap space he is occupying.

It does leave Minnesota without much wiggle room (and of course the unsigned Zucker issue) to deal with, but maybe some other contract can be moved out to create a bit more room....

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Jonas Brodin moved out...though I am sure many Wild fans like him on the team.

But my reasons for that is for another thread entirely.....

Welcome back Mat Dumba…… now go and show us you are a real $6 Million Dollar Man

(shrugs)  I think he's streaky.  We have lots of players who are streaky.  We don't have much in the way of go-to reliable talent.  50 points?  I'm going to be expecting it to be at least 50 now that he's making $6 million per season but I'm not expecting he'll be able to do that.  

I understand why the team made the deal and that it COULD look like a great deal if he continues on an upward trajectory and / or rounds out the rest of his game.  However, if he fails to produce and his decision making remains to be reckless then I hope the Dumba lovers learn to accept the criticism that would deserve.  This team is going to have to move other players to be able to afford Zucker.  I don't think they want to sign him to a one-year deal.  IMO, he's as important as Dumba is, even if players of his ilk are more common than a 50-point scoring right-shot defenseman.  

I think we had to make the deal otherwise what was the point of trading Haula and Tuch so that Vegas wouldn't take Dumba. But personally I don't like the deal as he is streaky and hasn't proven at least to me that he's worth the pay raise and just makes to many dumbass plsys. Also again why the stupid NTC just irks me, granted this one is only for the last 2 years and modified but still not a fan. 

Will be interesting to see if he improves this season or has one of those “He’s trying too hard to live up to the contract” years...

Was REALLY hoping Fenton would nix anymore NTC’s, but oh well...

47 minutes ago, Jagged Ice said:

Not a fan of long term contracts and with the cap increase I'm not hating this deal as much as others are. 

Term is about right.

In fact, even though a max term contract CAN go much longer than 5, doesn't mean it should.

He will need another contract around age 28....that should be plenty of time for the Wild to see if he is a real deal consistent defenseman or not, as he should hit his peak performance age as a defenseman at around 25, 26 or so.

Minnesota REALLY needs this guy to pan out for them though.
Looking at their D core, I can't really say they have a solid "top 4"...

Suter, Spurgeon...ok....
Dumba if he works out like his paycheck says he should...makes 3...

Who would be the 4th guy?
I am not sold on Brodin being a top 4 defenseman....Seeler needs to prove himself as much as Dumba does...albeit on a smaller contract and with less time to do so.

Who knows what the Wild get out of Olofsson.

Prosser is Prosser....good bottom pair but not much else and is already in his early 30's.

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Suter, Spurgeon...ok....
Dumba if he works out like his paycheck says he should...makes 3...

Who would be the 4th guy?
I am not sold on Brodin being a top 4 defenseman....Seeler needs to prove himself as much as Dumba does...albeit on a smaller contract and with less time to do so.

Who knows what the Wild get out of Olofsson.

Prosser is Prosser....good bottom pair but not much else and is already in his early 30's.

I think the Wild tied up Dumba first because they are concerned about Suters injury. He may or may not be ready for the opener. And if he is ready, it is going to take him time to get into condition. Which leaves the Wild with Spurgeon and a collection of average defensemen.  

Its very apparent that Brodin is basically Nick Schultz Mk II. Doesn’t do anything poorly, but doesn’t excell at anything either. Is that worthy of being a top pair defenseman?  I guess it does on the Wild.

Olofsson is a third pairing Brodin at best. Doesn’t do anything well, is just kind of there. About as effective as a traffic cone. 

If if this is the defense that Leipold thinks is going to carry the team to the Cup...I’m flummoxed...😲

@IllaZilla

Funny you should compare Brodin with Schultz, because back when Schultz was traded for Gilbert, and then he ultimately ended up on the Flyers, I always referred to him as Standard Schultz.

Meaning just like you said:
Isn't terrible, but isn't particularly good at anything either...sorta just there.

Standard play, standard shot...
Even his height/weight (6'0 200) was standard. :bigteeth:

That's pretty much how I view Brodin.

Minnesota could do worse than have him on the team....but I can't help but feel that for about $4M, they could also have better.

Heaven help the Wild if Dumba turns out to be "standard" as well....franchise just can't afford that.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@IllaZilla

Funny you should compare Brodin with Schultz, because back when Schultz was traded for Gilbert, and then he ultimately ended up on the Flyers, I always referred to him as Standard Schultz.

Meaning just like you said:
Isn't terrible, but isn't particularly good at anything either...sorta just there.

Standard play, standard shot...
Even his height/weight (6'0 200) was standard. :bigteeth:

That's pretty much how I view Brodin.

Minnesota could do worse than have him on the team....but I can't help but feel that for about $4M, they could also have better.

Heaven help the Wild if Dumba turns out to be "standard" as well....franchise just can't afford that.

Well, the Wild will have three Brodin’s: Brodin, Olofsson, and now Johansson. Maybe I should call them the Schultz Triplets...

I still can't figure out why the Wild protected Brodin in the expansion draft and not Dumba if they valued Dumba so much...

Interesting. Looking at CapFriendly, the Wild gave Dumba almost the exact same contract Seth Jones has...

Seth Jones Contract - 6 year deal, $32.4M, modified NTC last two years of the deal...

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

I still can't figure out why the Wild protected Brodin in the expansion draft and not Dumba if they valued Dumba so much...

Interesting. Looking at CapFriendly, the Wild gave Dumba almost the exact same contract Seth Jones has...

Seth Jones Contract - 6 year deal, $32.4M, modified NTC last two years of the deal...

Back when they got Brodin he was destined to be the future #1 left d-man for the future. He's a Suter clone. Look when they honed and 'developed' him. He was paired with the Wild master-d guy Ryan Suter. Initially he seemed to be more promising than Suter but when he got injured and came back he was never the same. He had a bit of an edge early on but turned into a meek, literally frightened hockey player.

That now makes him a coveted asset.

Agreed, regarding a right handed Dumba(50 points;+15) still it was a good contract. Productive players , like we said before , do not grow on a trees.

Regarding our defensemen prospects, I hope the future for the team in this order are :

1.Louie Belpedio (1 U-18 gold, 1 U-20 Bronze, 1 NCAA Champion) a right handed defenseman played last year just 1 game for the Wild team and had 2 points(in assists);+1 in that game and was very good at the development camp too this year;

2.Surprising Nick Seeler a left handed defenseman played solid 22 games for the Wild and had 4 points(in assists);+10; as well as in 5 playoff games had 2 points(in assists);+1; was also good for blocking multiple shots;

3.Carson Soucy(1 NCCA champion) just because of his size so far with a hope of any production improvement for the Wild team. He is a left handed defenseman who played last year for the Wild 3 regular season games (0 points,-2) and 4 playoff games (0 points;-3);

and

4.Filip Johansson (1 U-18 Bronze ) a right handed defenseman possibly will be much more productive than any other versions of Brodins. He was good at his first development camp this year. I liked him there.

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

It certainly is a question we'll probably never hear Chuck Fletcher's answer on.  

Players in all of sports (especially these days) have there best year (statistic wise) come contract year... "Go Figure"

Most never seem to live up to there new bank account but guess 5 mil a year is the going rate these days (unbelievable)

Dumba has always shown glimmers of greatness but overshadowed by all of his many many mistakes. Not sure what to think of him anymore but would not have been upset to see him go instead of Zucker. I am going to be very surprised if the Wild somehow find a way for Zucker to stay but thinking that is out of reach for what other teams will be willing and able to pay.

45 minutes ago, WileyOz44 said:

Players in all of sports (especially these days) have there best year (statistic wise) come contract year... "Go Figure"

Most never seem to live up to there new bank account but guess 5 mil a year is the going rate these days (unbelievable)

Dumba has always shown glimmers of greatness but overshadowed by all of his many many mistakes. Not sure what to think of him anymore but would not have been upset to see him go instead of Zucker. I am going to be very surprised if the Wild somehow find a way for Zucker to stay but thinking that is out of reach for what other teams will be willing and able to pay.

Yup! When I played Rotisserie Baseball we always tried to grab those guys in their contract year's because they almost always had a monster year. Then you dropped them the following year because they almost always came back to earth...

Archived