Ottawa polls its members about a new logo

Puck_Pun

Ottawa has sent these options to their members to choose what they think Ottawa's logo should be. To be honest, it's quite clear they want the answer to be 'option 3', and I wouldn't be surprised if they said the members voted for option 3 regardless of what the result actually was. The move to go to the 'Heritage O' logo has been quietly happening since the beginning of 17-18, with the centre ice logo changing to it, the logo of the Belleville Senators being the same design, and the NHL 100 jerseys with the O logo being used enough to essentially be a defacto third jersey (near the end of the season they wore it more often at home than their actual home jersey).

Personally I think they should push the rebranding back another season. It seems like a bad idea to bring in a new look just in time for the team to tank. It's unlikely that people would go to the games despite everything because 'hey, they are wearing nifty new clothes'. But I guess they're doing it now because they couldn't a year ago. All things considered, my preference is for the Heritage O logo, just because I like its simplicity and its connection to the original Senators. The NHL 100 jersey looks great, so something along those lines would work great if they were to come up with a less boring home jersey design.

Hopefully this is all being taken care of by a branding agency while Malnyk and the two people left in the front office work on fixing team culture and working towards improving things.

Ottawa-Senators-New-Logos-Team-Survey-590x512.png

They need to hire better graphic designers!  The 5th one is awful.   Why didn't they create an idea with the O and the senator's helmet ??  Just Dumb.

Frankly, I dislike the O as a fan I'd think it was a zero.  

I never liked the "O" either....

As a side or secondary patch...sure...as the primary logo, nah.

I've always like the original sideview Roman Senator and I never understood why they moved away from it... OK, ok....the team WAS horrid while wearing that logo, but they were still an expansion franchise way before Vegas made being an expansion franchise championship caliber... 😎

But anyways, yea, for me, the side view Senator...less 'cartoony' than the current Roman dude, still has all the other little details intact, PLUS, it has what hints of 'wings' on the left (a bit like the Flyers 'P' has a winglike structure), to suggest 'high flying speed'.

That all said, and I know this thread is about logo changes, I also agree that NOW is not the best time for the team to be worrying about that when they have so many other things that need fixing with this organization.

As we say down South in the US.... "We done got bigger fish to fry, Boy, so donna botha me with that nonsensical jib-rish".

Well, SOME Southerners I knew said that anyways...  :bigteeth:

Some have suggested that the order of the letters for the bottom row wasn't an accident...

But yeah, overall not very good designs especially for the three new ones, that textured O, what's that all about? It's too busy and too simplistic at the same time.

8 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

Some have suggested that the order of the letters for the bottom row wasn't an accident...

But yeah, overall not very good designs especially for the three new ones, that textured O, what's that all about? It's too busy and too simplistic at the same time.

Hah!!

I actually did NOT notice that till you pointed that out...… :bigteeth:

If the Sens weren't in such dire circumstances, I'd say that was hilarious!

Well, it is kinda funny, but I would imagine you Ottawa fans don't think so....nor should you.

Yea, not sure what is going on with that textured O thing.

The other O seemed kinda generic as it is.... the red textured one looks like it might be straight out of Elmo's fuzzy letter collection......

Sorry, I am a mom of young boys and constantly have anamorphic animal character stuff floating around in my cranium... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Puck_Pun said:

Some have suggested that the order of the letters for the bottom row wasn't an accident

Wow I missed that the first time looking at this. 😃

1 hour ago, Puck_Pun said:

that textured O, what's that all about? It's too busy and too simplistic at the same time.

puck pun for the win !

#1 is flat out terrible too. a centurion style plume and a wing?  why not add a gradient houndstooth texture and make the failure complete.

I find it hard to mess up black red and gold, but somehow, the marketing department for the Senators has done just that.

I think #6 would make a fine secondary logo on a sleave. #3 is meh,  if there's some history with it, zzz. Really of all these, #2 and I believe the current logo is still the best.  

I also agree that changing the look during what appears to be a tank year is not wise.

This one IMHOsadly  sums up the Sens right now......

Image result for toilet seat

The local baseball club in Minnesota does this all the time. They are generally terrible, so to pique fan interest, they are constantly changing uniforms.

My guess is the team realizes they are going to be terrible, so like the local nine here, they are trying to generate interest with a uniform change...

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Nice...AND they get to keep the "O" like in their 3rd jerseys!!!:ph34r:

16 hours ago, yave1964 said:

This one would definitely get the trophy. The Senators are a big dumpster fire. 

• 4 months later...

As a follow up to this, an interview on Senators podcast Sens Callups with their marketing people went into the whole logo thing, and the answer was if they were to do anything with their logo it won't be until the 20-21 season due to issues with the NHL and Adidas. That said, the Centurion logo was on the whole the most popular, especially with casual fans and young fans (which well, from a marketing perspective, is the most important market to capture). Hardcore fans had a preference for the Heritage O but it wasn't a significant margin.

Here's an article discussing what happened in the interview but honestly it's a great interview to listen to as it goes into things like the game experience and their perspective on various initiatives. It's a good listen.

Archived