Marchand low-bridge/clipping on Sami Salo

Guest Digityman

Here's the video with Boston announcers..

0:04 - 0:12 - watch Marchand and Salo trading shots

0:16 - The low-bridge.

Salo tries to get to his feet twice, successful on the second attempt.

Slow motion starts at 1:58

The Boston Bruins winger will have a telephone hearing Monday with NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan, which means the supplemental penalty can't be more than a five-game suspension. An in-house hearing would have meant a stiffer sentence. Regardless, the suggestion by Bruins coach Claude Julien that Marchand was trying to protect himself from being hit in the corner boards by Salo late in the second period of a 4-3 Canucks triumph set Vigneault off.

"That's a stupid comment," said the Canucks coach. "What Marchand did there, you could end a player's career doing that and I've never seen Sami Salo take a run at any player in the NHL. All I've seen Sami Salo do is play with integrity and play the right way.

"Marchand -- this is just my feeling on this -- some day he's going to get it. Somebody is going to say enough is enough and they're going to hurt the kid, because he plays to hurt players and in my mind if the league doesn't take care of it, somebody else will.

"Sometimes it takes the league time to figure things out and there's a difference between a good hip check when the player is coming down on you one-on-one with the puck and what we saw Marchand do with his definite attempt to injure. Something needs to happen."

Gillis felt it was "a dirty hit by a dirty player" and the problem beyond the collision is that it could place the Canucks in a precarious position before the NHL trade deadline on Feb. 27. An injury to a top-six forward or top-four defenceman would force the general manager to look at more than just adding to a mix he already likes. Salo has arguably been the team's most consistent blueliner this season and his 16 points (6-9) in 38 games don't really tell the true tale. Aside from being dependable, his monster slapshot is a weapon -- especially on the league's top-ranked power play. It's difficult to gauge the timeline for the return from a concussion, and the Canucks don't want to fear the worst. They're just hoping for the best after Salo complained of headaches, which are the main post-concussion symptom. They have kept Sidney Crosby and dozens of others from resuming their careers.

"I felt it was a play that is really intended to injure another player and did injure our player," said Gillis. "I thought it was a dirty hit and I don't agree with that type of play. That play happened last year in the final and it has happened again. He plays on the edge and he's that type of player.

"Salo was going in to make a hockey play and clearly wasn't anticipating what was happening. We're just lucky we have eight defencemen."

Marchand defended his actions by saying he was just trying to protect himself when the puck went into the corner and he caught a glimpse of Salo bearing down on him.

"I kind of went down and you look at a guy who's 6-foot-4 or 6-foot-5 (actually 6-foot-3) coming in on you and your instincts are to protect yourself -- you have no idea what his intentions are," said Marchand. "I had no intention of hurting Salo. In this league with the strength and size of guys, everybody has to protect themselves and different guys do it different ways. I saw the replay and I did go under him, but I felt the base contact was at his hip point and that's usually a pretty legal hit. I have no idea how the league feels about it. I've done it a few times before and never been punished for it, but if it's an illegal hit I'll take it out of my game."

Keith Ballard is one of the best hip-checkers and has been called for clipping because the league obviously wants to avoid serious knee injuries. But in a puck-possession play against Jordin Tootoo on April 28, Ballard was assessed a two-minute minor for clipping. Whether that action and what Marchand did are in the same clipping category is what the league needs to better define.

"Normally when I do that, the guy has the puck and the guy is coming down on me and trying to beat me," Ballard said of his hip-checking ability. "There is a difference"

bleacher report

While I'm not surprised in the slightest with the classiest Boston has to offer in the stands, or Grimace whining about it from the bench, I will admit one thing. I am stunned Jack Edwards didn't go off the deep end defending his Bruins.

That type of hit is the BIGGEST reason to get rid of the instigator penalty. If Marchand had to answer for that, he would think twice but noooooo...he has hit pet gorilla step in to protect him. Pu$$y move by a Pu$$y player. I can't wait to see him try and protect himself the next time the bruins play the nucks. I wish Vigneault had not been so vocal about someone will get him. Yes it needs to happen but you don't want the extra protection for Marchand who would be seen as a "victim" when someone goes after him.

Was that Chara that stepped in? He was really quick to do it too.

Yeah...Biggest problem is the nucks don't get another shot at the Bruins this season. I guess that might have had something to do with the remarks Vigneault made...