Maximizing your last paycheque

brelic

On 7/30/2018 at 6:02 PM, OccamsRazor said:

And if they needed a guy like that they could recall Goulbourne. Goon hockey is dead.

This.  

Let's move on.  

Besides, if Morin can get healthy and get himself back in the lineup where he belongs, I think a lot of players out there are going to think twice about screwing around with our guys.  Hopefully he won't even have to prove anything about that wingspan.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Uh no.

In regard to TK i just mentioned i would be ok signing him to a shorter Anthony Mantha type deal as well.

Mantha got 2 years 3.3mill per for his very similar TK like stats 24 goals and 48 points.

See how he does and go from there, he would still have some RFA years left.

Certainly don't want him getting Tom Wilson like numbers.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/anthony-mantha

I'm honestly not sure what other teams do will apply so much to the Flyers. 

I think they take a very insular approach to negotiations with agents and players. and look at their roles on the team in relation to other contracts the team has signed.  Coots, Simmer's last deal, stuff like that.   Teeks, Patrick, & Lindblom in particular have two more RFA contracts if Hextall plays his cards right.  They'll have to become elite players to cause any major headaches with the money this team has coming off the books.

That locks in your top 7 forwards not named Wayne Simmonds for at least four more years.   None of them will likely break 4 million as RFAs unless they literally become elite, in which case... screw it, buy out or trade whoever you need to and pay them!  

Now I'll grant that paying Simmonds well doesn't work much past when their bridge deals would end.  I actually get the feeling Simmonds and the Flyers are pretty comfortable with things.  I get the feeling there's an acceptable framework deal in place that just needs to be insured by Simmonds looking healthy again.  However, if they lose him I think the Flyers know they'll have the stockpile of talent and the money to replace him in Free Agency (cough cough Mark Stone).  

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess because you have to stating spreading around for the future now you have TK still to sign.

So i think he will need at least 4.5-5 mill per year on a 3-5 year bridge deal.

And that is just guessing Neal just signed for 5.75 per for 25 goals 44 points.

Ehlers signed for 7 for 6 mill for 29 goals 60 points.

Kane 7 for 29 goals 54 points.

So the $$$$$ will have to be spread around and with signing other in mind...trying to keep it sane i guess.

So yeah now can you afford to pay your top line RW 5+ mill per and your 3rd line RW 7+

I so no.....

Were any of those guys RFA?  

Simmonds signed for 3.9 when he was older and after a 29 goal 60 point season.  

Coots was one of the best centers in the league last year and 2nd for the Selke and he's playing for just over 4.  

I really feel like the the Flyers have instituted an inside out, not an outside in approach to negotiating these things, especially with RFAs.

TK had a great year and we'll see what he does if they give him a whole year with Coots and G, but he's barely half way to Pastrnak numbers and that's kinda where you need to be to start making RFA hold out demands.  

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Were any of those guys RFA?

Yes Ehlers and Mantha were. 

I don't think that status matters as much as the players signing an their comparative production is all that matters or matters most.

53 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes Ehlers and Mantha were. 

I don't think that status matters as much as the players signing an their comparative production is all that matters or matters most.

What I'm saying is that in the recent history of Flyers UFA's it hasn't worked out that way.  

Schenn signed for 5 on his final UFA contract after 26 G and 59 Pts.

How about a five year deal where the first two years the payout is 7.5 mill and the remaining 3 years at 5.5 mill with scoring incentives to bring it up by a mil or two if incentives are met.

I know Simmer wants to stay and the Flyers want him to stay. So why don't both sides make it work with the right dollar amounts with incentives, like if Simmer scores and plays a certain amount of games during the regular season and hits certain numbers in the playoffs, that way it can be fair on both sides. If your producing you get rewarded for it , if you have a down year, you still make fair money but not higher than what your body of work produced.

Simmonds is a valuable player on and off the ice, the organization has to remember this in negotiations.

The Flyers are trying to win and build a Stanley Cup winning team for years to come, Simmonds has to understand this and ask himself if he wants to be a part of that group for the following five plus years.

I remember when Briere realized this after understanding he had to be bought out because he got big money on a contract and later realized that big money contract in the later part was strapping the team financially and had to buy him out because it was just too expensive to have him on the team and make the team not be over the cap. They would of liked to have kept him for more years but he was too expensive for what towards the end of the contract he was producing.

Simmonds is worth two more years of higher pay, it's the next five years after that where it can become a gamble.

Hey Flyers: Give the man his worth for two more years and pay him a fair amount with incentives for the next three or five years of the term.

Hey Wayne: Ask yourself: How much do you want to be a Flyer and do you want to be a part of the organization afterwards.

22 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

How about a five year deal where the first two years the payout is 7.5 mill and the remaining 3 years at 5.5 mill with scoring incentives to bring it up by a mil or two if incentives are met.

I know Simmer wants to stay and the Flyers want him to stay. So why don't both sides make it work with the right dollar amounts with incentives, like if Simmer scores and plays a certain amount of games during the regular season and hits certain numbers in the playoffs, that way it can be fair on both sides. If your producing you get rewarded for it , if you have a down year, you still make fair money but not higher than what your body of work produced.

Simmonds is a valuable player on and off the ice, the organization has to remember this in negotiations.

The Flyers are trying to win and build a Stanley Cup winning team for years to come, Simmonds has to understand this and ask himself if he wants to be a part of that group for the following five plus years.

I remember when Briere realized this after understanding he had to be bought out because he got big money on a contract and later realized that big money contract in the later part was strapping the team financially and had to buy him out because it was just too expensive to have him on the team and make the team not be over the cap. They would of liked to have kept him for more years but he was too expensive for what towards the end of the contract he was producing.

Simmonds is worth two more years of higher pay, it's the next five years after that where it can become a gamble.

Hey Flyers: Give the man his worth for two more years and pay him a fair amount with incentives for the next three or five years of the term.

Hey Wayne: Ask yourself: How much do you want to be a Flyer and do you want to be a part of the organization afterwards.

You can't give incentives to Simmonds. You can only give incentives to players on an ELC or a 35+ contract.

Archived