Flyers Goaltending Situation

Howie58

Yeah, a difficult situation for the Flyers... but you do need a better goalie, .786 isn't good enough.

I understand that Kari Lehtonen is without a contract. He'd probably settle for way less than $2,5 mil. a year. Kind of like another former Stars goalie Niemi did and that turned out pretty ok for the Habs. Lehtonen is slightly injury prone though. Any takers?

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Yeah, a difficult situation for the Flyers... but you do need a better goalie, .786 isn't good enough.

I understand that Kari Lehtonen is without a contract. He'd probably settle for way less than $2,5 mil. a year. Kind of like another former Stars goalie Niemi did and that turned out pretty ok for the Habs. Lehtonen is slightly injury prone though. Any takers?

More of the same AFAIC. 

It's not like the options are great, though. 

4 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

It probably was an option Hextall considered before the start of the season.  We now have Elliot, Neuvirth, Pickard, Stolarz, Lyons, and Hart all with NHL contracts.  Probably the Flyers are at 46-47 of their 48 contracts too (I didn't count them) - but I don't see Hexy adding another goaltender without getting rid of one of the above not named Carter Hart.

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

It probably was an option Hextall considered before the start of the season.  We now have Elliot, Neuvirth, Pickard, Stolarz, Lyons, and Hart all with NHL contracts.  Probably the Flyers are at 46-47 of their 48 contracts too (I didn't count them) - but I don't see Hexy adding another goaltender without getting rid of one of the above not named Carter Hart.

They are at 47 contacts so they have room contract and money wise.

I would waive Pickard when Neuvy is healthy. Give Neuvy one more chance.

Then say he falters then i would look elsewhere after waiving Neuvy.

Flyers should have traded for Anderson before the season started when they were moving guys out.

I would have traded them Elliott and Gudas or another prospect like Friedman and a pick or something. Found away.

He is just what they needed a guy signed for two more years at 4.75 mill. And now he is 3-1-1 with a 925% in Ottawa.

The price to get him now has to have doubled.

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣🤣🤣 🤣

I know, i know, i know....but sadly i have watch the clowns they have skated out there this season.

And like it or not he is the best goalie they have on the roster (excluding Hart of course) the only knock on him really is his health.

And when he is healthy the Flyers will have to make a move and after what i have seen from Pickard i know why the Leafs made him their 4th best goalie...so buh bye Pickard.

It is time to see what Neuvy can do and if he sucks  (or get hurt tripping over the blueline) then i would waive him (unless he got hurt then you can't but it would still be over when healthy again in Philly then waive him)and bring Lyon up to back Elliott up.

You could still have Hart and Stolie in reserve in LV.

But that would be my plan that DOESN'T involve trading for a goalie.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I know, i know, i know....but sadly i have watch the clowns they have skated out there this season.

And like it or not he is the best goalie they have on the roster (excluding Hart of course) the only knock on him really is his health.

And when he is healthy the Flyers will have to make a move and after what i have seen from Pickard i know why the Leafs made him their 4th best goalie...so buh bye Pickard.

It is time to see what Neuvy can do and if he sucks  (or get hurt tripping over the blueline) then i would waive him (unless he got hurt then you can't but it would still be over when healthy again in Philly then waive him)and bring Lyon up to back Elliott up.

You could still have Hart and Stolie in reserve in LV.

But that would be my plan that DOESN'T involve trading for a goalie.

Hey, I was laughing with you not at you! Can you imagine the insurance premiums on Neuvy? It must be off the charts. I would not let that guy drive my car.

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Can you imagine the insurance premiums on Neuvy? It must be off the charts.

Oh it has to be out of this world.

The goalie situation would be sooooooooooo funny if it wasn't soooooooooo sad. Only the Flyers. 

I pray they stay patient with Hart and do what is right for his future they need him soooooo bad.

At least next year they will have two options in case of emergency with Hart and Sandstrom coming over to play.

Sandstrom might get a call up before Hart even due to him being a little older and further along in his development.

But in the meantime i don't know WTF they are going to do about this year.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh it has to be out of this world.

The goalie situation would be sooooooooooo funny if it wasn't soooooooooo sad. Only the Flyers. 

I pray they stay patient with Hart and do what is right for his future they need him soooooo bad.

At least next year they will have two options in case of emergency with Hart and Sandstrom coming over to play.

Sandstrom might get a call up before Hart even due to him being a little older and further along in his development.

But in the meantime i don't know WTF they are going to do about this year.

In order of effectiveness, I think you fix the goaltending problem by -

1. Coaching change

2. Defense upgrade

3. Goaltending upgrade

Goaltending is a symptom, not the root cause.

Sure, Elliott appears to be middle of the road, at best, at this point in his career. And Pickard is perhaps an NHL/AHL tweener or journeyman backup. 

But they have BOTH played extremely well elsewhere. So they have it in them. And Pickard even did it on awful Colorado teams. 

Last night, there were at least 3 goals that I would think Pickard wants back. Just very weak. And if they waive him when Neuvirth is "healthy" then so be it. But my guess is that Pickard would be a perfectly fine backup with, say, New Jersey or Boston or Tampa or Columbus and on and on. 

I know @OccamsRazor you've been beating the Anderson drum, but I'm convinced it would just be more of the same. Perhaps slightly better,  but it would still amount to subpar goaltending because our issue is not a goaltending issue at its core. 

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

More of the same AFAIC. 

It's not like the options are great, though. 

I guess. I tried to be solution oriented; your current goalies cannot seem to get it done. Usually problems won't get solved unless you try something out.

4 hours ago, hf101 said:

Okay, wasn't familiar with your contract situation. Obviously you have to cut loose one or two before you add anyone. But if your TOP3 goalies cannot get it done so why keep them....

2 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

I guess. I tried to be solution oriented; your current goalies cannot seem to get it done. Usually problems won't get solved unless you try something out.

Agreed. But they've tried several. Ultimately, the problem is the head coach. 

Lehtonen would likely be at least marginally better than what we currently have, though. 

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

Last night, there were at least 3 goals that I would think Pickard wants back.

Exactly and that seems to be the theme with insert name in goal.

Sure Hak isn't blame free for some of the issues that plague the club yes.

But at what point do we hold the guy who is suppose to "execute" accountable???

Those goals come down to execution of the fundamentals he has been taught for i don't know how long.

For example in football when a kicker misses a chip shot....hard to blame the coach for the guy not being able to perform to expectations.

And to use another example but like this past weekend when my Gamecocks got beat by Texas A&M sure there were plays through out the game that could have been played better. But they lost 26-23 and the biggest reason was the WRs dropped 6 passes two of them that should have added TDs and they could have won.

But no damn way in hell am i going to blame the coach because the guys can't do one of the biggest thing they must do on the team.

CATCH THE GODDAMN BALL!

At some point you coach them up and they have to go out and preform their task do that and they win the game.

They didn't and they lost. No one plays a perfect game misque and opportunities throughout a game in any sport.

But in games so far this year the Flyer have got burnt by goalies who can't make routine saves. What else is Hak suppose to do except strap them on and actually go play goalie. That is it.

And i have to hold the players making millions accountable at some point.

Just like i want kickers to make field goals they should make. When they don't time to find someone who can.

Not sure why the Flyers goalies should be treated different and as you said we know they CAN do it because they have before.

But now they aren't!

You don't have agree. Just voicing my side of it. And sorry for the bad football analogy.

21 minutes ago, brelic said:

I know @OccamsRazor you've been beating the Anderson drum, but I'm convinced it would just be more of the same.

I don't but all we can do now is speculate. And i hate that.

But the rinse and repeat with cast off goalies hasn't and isn't working.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure why the Flyers goalies should be treated different and as you said we know they CAN do it because they have before.

But now they aren't!

You don't have agree. Just voicing my side of it. And sorry for the bad football analogy.

Oh, I'm not absolving the goaltending. In general, they have collectively crapped the bed. They haven't given us the timely saves we need or bailed out mistakes for the most part. Elliott did have two solid games where he did what he could - one was a loss one was a win. And he can do that sometimes. I'm sure Pickard can too. Just like the players have to bail out their goalie sometimes.

And this stretches back several seasons on both counts - goalies and players. 

But in general, the point I was making is that I think you'd get a better bang for buck by changing the coach because at its core, I don't think THE problem is goaltending. Put another way, I don't think we're one competent goalie away from a solid, stable team. There are a handful of goaltenders who might be able to provide that, but they either aren't available or would cost too much.

Totally agree that the players have to go out and execute, but I''m finally coming around to thinking that this coach is not the right one to coach them up to a point where they can make up for deficiencies with solid execution.

2 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

@OccamsRazor Dayum, you're probably one of the fastest typists I've ever seen!

Evidently you Flyers fans know this situation inside out so I better shut my yap. 😎

No please your opinion is welcome. I like to know what outsiders see looking in. It helps. Am i being unreasonable to ask my goalie to make a routine save??? Or and i asking the impossible?

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

No please your opinion is welcome. I like to know what outsiders see looking in. It helps. Am i being unreasonable to ask my goalie to make a routine save??? Or and i asking the impossible?

I have been very displeased with Dubnyk's performances the past three seasons so if you are unreasonable then we both are. I'd rather have a stellar .900 than on and off .940 - .860 goalie.

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

But in general, the point I was making is that I think you'd get a better bang for buck by changing the coach because at its core, I don't think THE problem is goaltending.

At this point i haven't seen enough growth for my liking so yeah i would be cool canning Hak.

But if it is done i want to clean house.

EVERY coach gone.

I don't want to see Knoblach retained and given the head coaching job i haven't been impressed and in fact i think he gets his accolades off coaching Connor Mcdavid....but how hard is that??

Reboot it all. Even the goalie coaches from the Kings. Start over. Which i know he won't do because he will have to admit he f**ked up.

Like he did with Wiese and RJ.....he won't.

1 minute ago, Hockey-78 said:

Yeah, wasn't about to take that route but since you mentioned it... I agree.

This is my main fear about Carter Hart. Not that the Flyers will mismanage him, ruin him somehow, but that the Jumbotron will dislodge from it's moorings during practice and fall on Hart who, inexplicably is at center ice not in goal, flattening him like a pancake. When it happens it will be epic. And sad. Because Andrew MacDonald will not be standing beside Hart when it happens.

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

At this point i haven't seen enough growth for my liking so yeah i would be cool canning Hak.

But if it is done i want to clean house.

EVERY coach gone.

I don't want to see Knoblach retained and given the head coaching job i haven't been impressed and in fact i think he gets his accolades off coaching Connor Mcdavid....but how hard is that??

Reboot it all. Even the goalie coaches from the Kings. Start over. Which i know he won't do because he will have to admit he f**ked up.

Like he did with Wiese and RJ.....he won't.

I'm thinking that if Hakstol gets canned, it will be after the season or when there is a definite upgrade available. Right now, I don't know if there is. Who's available? 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I'm thinking that if Hakstol gets canned, it will be after the season or when there is a definite upgrade available. Right now, I don't know if there is. Who's available? 

I agree they are only 1 game below .500 so really to fire him this early in the season would be panic mode.

I don't see Ron as that type of GM.

Homer or Clarke? Sure not Ron.

Give him the rest of the year to fix this.

Then if that is what needs to be done after the season then do it.

Archived