Flyers Goaltending Situation

Howie58

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So do you start Stolie next game and give Hart a rest or keep riding the hot hand??

As long as they don't run the kid into the ground...we have the Kings and Ducks coming up...both suck so split that for sure. Maybe go Hart first game, then Stolarz, then Hart vs Pens...then Stolarz vs Wild, Hart in 1st Wings game then Stolarz in the back end then ride Hart for a few after that?

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

As long as they don't run the kid into the ground...we have the Kings and Ducks coming up...both suck so split that for sure. Maybe go Hart first game, then Stolarz, then Hart vs Pens...then Stolarz vs Wild, Hart in 1st Wings game then Stolarz in the back end then ride Hart for a few after that?

I think Stolarz is tomorrow night and Hart Saturday. Pretty sure they announced that on Monday.

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Good question. Didnt Stolie pitch an SO vs the Rags his last start? I like the idea of rewarding that with another start. Plus, Hart can benefit from a night on the bench, being one of the guys on the bench sort of thing, give him some time to process all of the adulation and attention.

Ah, f@ck it, who am I kidding, ride the kid like a rented mule!

It is a good point to stop and give the kid a rest though. It is the Kings not to knock them but they are a struggling team.

And they just beat the Devil's with Jack Campbell in net though so Stolie should be able to handle the start.

He will i imagine be squaring off vs. Quick. I had already seen reports not Hart will get the night off. Yet i believe it will come down to a game time decision.

Or you could play him vs. the Kings.

Play Stolie saturday vs. the Ducks and Hart would have 4 days of rest before taking on the Pens monday in the 1st game of the back to back and go back to Stolie vs the Wild tuesday.

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Yeah i just posted that. So maybe Hart one more game tonight and Stolie Ducks and then Hart would have 4 days of rest before the Pens.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

They should have Stolarz play both games and give Hart a breather before the stretch run. Hart's been facing 40+ shots the past few games, so let him have a few days to rest up any aches and bruises and then have him relaxed and fresh for the Pens.

Brian Boucher just alluded to the Flyers keeping 3 goalies for the remainder of the year so Elliott will more than likely get his chance to a conditioning stint with the Phantoms next week.

Seems crazy to me to carry 3 just waive the guys when they are ready worst case someone claims them which i think is highly unlikely.

And i haven't seen any mention of Neuvy and what happens to him when he is ready. But it sounds like from Boucher comments they are moving on from Elliott and Neuvy after this year and are going with Hart and Stolie for next year.

Or i think at some point if a good deal comes along on a vet this summer i could see them trying to add a 3rd goalie for camp/preseason.

At this point i would be ok with Hart/Solie they have gone 9-1-1 and  940% in those games.

The Flyers just need to give them some more goal support and keep playing solid special teams.

22 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Brian Boucher just alluded to the Flyers keeping 3 goalies for the remainder of the year so Elliott will more than likely get his chance to a conditioning stint with the Phantoms next week.

Seems crazy to me to carry 3 just waive the guys when they are ready worst case someone claims them which i think is highly unlikely.

And i haven't seen any mention of Neuvy and what happens to him when he is ready. But it sounds like from Boucher comments they are moving on from Elliott and Neuvy after this year and are going with Hart and Stolie for next year.

Or i think at some point if a good deal comes along on a vet this summer i could see them trying to add a 3rd goalie for camp/preseason.

At this point i would be ok with Hart/Solie they have gone 9-1-1 and  940% in those games.

The Flyers just need to give them some more goal support and keep playing solid special teams.

Elliotts in the last year of his contract. Might get a 3rd or 4th at the deadline for him from a playoff team looking for depth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Elliotts in the last year of his contract. Might get a 3rd or 4th at the deadline for him from a playoff team looking for depth.

Does Jake Allen have a NMC? If not, St. Louis might want to consider having an actual backup as they climb into this. Binnington is playing really well and having a similar effect on the Blues as Hart is on the Flyers. 

They need a competent backup so they don't kill the kid.  If they can't find one, Elliott may be an option unless bridges were burned after last time. 

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Does Jake Allen have a NMC? If not, St. Louis might want to consider having an actual backup as they climb into this. Binnington is playing really well and having a similar effect on the Blues as Hart is on the Flyers. 

They need a competent backup so they don't kill the kid.  If they can't find one, Elliott may be an option unless bridges were burned after last time. 

No NMC. But 2 more years at 4.35 might scare off some suitors.

13 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

No NMC. But 2 more years at 4.35 might scare off some suitors.

Oh, i didn't finish that thought. Sorry. If Allen doesn't have an NMC, i get a competent backup and bury him in the AHL. 

He's no longer an NHL goalie. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I would love that Canucks could use a goalie.

Buy Fletcher said they will keep 3 goalies up the rest of the year.

I hope that is just a trade tactic he is using and not for real.

They need to move him and get something for him.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Would Elliott be a better backup than Allen.

Not sure really just asking for an opinion.

It's almost a push.

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Would Elliott be a better backup than Allen.

Not sure really just asking for an opinion.

It's almost a push.

I think there are probably better options out there than either of them.   I think Elliott, when he was playing well, is an upgrade over the way Allen is playing.

But which Elliott do you get?  Because yeah, a push.

The only other benefit would be if the salary doesn't count against your cap when the player is in the minors, Elliott does give the Blues roughly an added $1.5M in cap space should they want to make some other move.

But there are probably cheaper, performance-similar options that would do even more for them along those lines. 

[EDIT]:  Maybe not with the options, though, or the Flyers wouldn't be grabbing McKenna off waivers, or the Ducks grabbing Chad Johnson, or the Coyotes Pickard.  

So yeah, if they're pushing for the playoffs with a rookie and want a veteran behind him to spot him here and there, maybe it's not that bad.  At the very least, you're saving some cap space, but I think it's incrementally better in net. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

Elliot is on a conditioning stint with the Phantoms.  Since Hart has been told to check out of the Hotel and find a permanent residence it looks like the Fletcher could be looking to trade Elliot by the deadline, imo.  Stolarz has shown he can be a solid backup for Hart.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Elliot is on a conditioning stint with the Phantoms.  Since Hart has been told to check out of the Hotel and find a permanent residence it looks like the Fletcher could be looking to trade Elliot by the deadline, imo.  Stolarz has shown he can be a solid backup for Hart.

Don't forget The Operation Game NHL award winner, Neuvirth. He should be trade bait as well, assuming we can get anything for him at this point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

I say the Canucks and Elliott could make a nice partner they need a backup with Demko out with a concussion.

They started Deipetro last night and he got rocked in his emergency start.

Elliott or better yet if they would rather keep him and trade McKenna I would be cool with either.

Elliott could bring a slightly higher return.

It is why Chuck made all the right moves before hand with his waivers so he can afford to carry 3 goalies maintaining leverage in the situation.

So he has option like the watch salesman....

...would you like a scrub (Mckenna) AHL journeyman would can be waived if/when Demko gets healthy.

Or a more permanent solution in Elliott who can play earn a spot for next year and let you return Demko to the AHL?

Chuck has what you need.

Oh why were at it can interest you in a RW or a LW?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hf101 said:

You would think with Marek Mazanec fetching a 7th round pick you would think Elliott at bare minimum should fetch a 4th or 5th round pick.

I would take that to move on from him.

Or would Fletcher maybe move the younger bigger upside goalie in Stolie for a 3rd or 4th??? 

He could just keep Elliott. Yet i am reluctant to keep Elliott having 2 core muscle issues in the last year is risky.

Could he package Simmonds, Ghost and Stolie or Elliott to another team???

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You would think with Marek Mazanec fetching a 7th round pick you would think Elliott at bare minimum should fetch a 4th or 5th round pick.

I would take that to move on from him.

Or would Fletcher maybe move the younger bigger upside goalie in Stolie for a 3rd or 4th??? 

He could just keep Elliott. Yet i am reluctant to keep Elliott having 2 core muscle issues in the last year is risky.

Could he package Simmonds, Ghost and Stolie or Elliott to another team???

I would bet a lot of money on Fletch being done with Elliott and Neuvirth. There really is no point for those guys to ever play a game for the Flyers again. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, brelic said:

I would bet a lot of money on Fletch being done with Elliott and Neuvirth. There really is no point for those guys to ever play a game for the Flyers again. 

And I'm good with that too.

Elliott at 34 is risky as hell. If he can get something for it would be sweet.

If not then yeah move on at seasons end.

• Like 1

Picked up an interesting piece of information from Charlie O'Connor. 

Because of Stolarz's combination of age and NHL experience, he needs to play 16 more games this season in order for the Flyers to retain his rights as an RFA.

Otherwise, he becomes a UFA.

I can't imagine him playing in 16 games, so he will be a UFA. Not sure how much that changes things, but it hampers the Flyers position a bit.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Not sure how much that changes things, but it hampers the Flyers position a bit.

He's still sporting a 3.33/.902 for the season (3.58/.901 in the A). Not sure how many other offers he'd get to beat out the Flyers.

I still kinda feel like they want a "seasoned vet" as the backup in a "mentor" position for Hart. OR mentioned Talbot in the shoutbox, and he's got an existing rapport with Hart, so that could be an option?