Flyers Goaltending Situation

Howie58

41 minutes ago, brelic said:

You yourself point out every other game how they look like the keystone cops in their own end.

Yes i do because certain players make bone headed mistakes...my biggest problem is with the ones who seem to do it A LOT and just end up end the box hurting the team.

Or turning the puck over and killing hard earned work, usually created by others and as soon as it hits (few names who will be withheld) sticks the puck goes the other way.

Or guys continuing to not play their role or guy or even worse stop skating and just watch. Sure it happens it is part of the game.

The frequency in which it happens i guess it what kills me. As you stated somewhere else growing pains half the team is 24 or younger.

I still say they are 10th seed and no better.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, brelic said:

A 20 year old with a .924 save percentage, in comparison with a team save percentage of .899. 

Well that sure helps. It's all most of us clamoured for after watching this sad sack of crap goalies before Hart. It wasn't all crap but a lot of it was, once again the consistency was the issue. 

Sorry for not putting this all in one response but my 7 year old keeps coming up to me with the "daddy daddy daddy i need this.." distractions and i get side tracked. I blame it on my 80HD!!!

1 hour ago, brelic said:

The only difference is Hart.

The PK and PP got better too. The PK of course got better with someone who could stop the puck.

I'm cool either way keeping Stolie or even Talbot....depends on what else comes with Talbot.

If it's Talbot and Puljujarvi buh bye Stolie i wish you well. I'll roll the dice on the Jesse reclamation project. 

Edit: And then everyone can say "See i told ya Fletcher had an obsession with Scandinavian players!!!"

18 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Lol I really hope I didn't give the impression that I thought it was.  I agree they're not great. Not by a long shot. 

And a small point in this equation too be considered too...

...under Gordon the Flyers are 1-3-1 in games in which Hart didn't play.

Stolie was really not good by any stretch in that shootout we saw either.

Just saying.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And a small point in this equation too be considered too...

...under Gordon the Flyers are 1-3-1 in games in which Hart didn't play.

Stolie was really not good by any stretch in that shootout we saw either.

Just saying.

Honestly, the Flyers aren't there yet where a mediocre backup is going to erase their blemishes consistently. 

And I'm not sold that Stolie is a viable backup.  He has had some very good games. I think he deserved every bit of his shutout, for example.  And he's made some great saves.  But honestly, some of his great saves have been because he's positionally sloppy.  He doesn't anticipate particularly well and makes up for it with reaction.  Maybe that improves with experience.  But the other thing that happens with age and experience is reaction time slows. And I think the showing reaction time will outpace the improved ability to anticipate. 

I'd call it a day on both Stolie and Lyon, to be honest. I think I keep Lyon to be like Neil Little, but I'd move Stolie. 

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

And I'm not sold that Stolie is a viable backup. 

I agree.

I was more on the fence with it but seeing Stolie flailing so much and not looking good in that one shootout really opened my eyes on how far apart Hart and Stolie are when it comes to their game.

So if you can get a bigger return for Stolie then i guess i am all for moving him no way he gets his 16 games he needs to play before the end of the season and if he too is going to be a UFA go get what you can for them.

Because no matter what at the end of the season you will have a chance to sign any of the three again i think in Stolie, Elliott or Talbot.

There are not of starter roles that are going to be available come next year.

So they will be a backup no matter where any of the three land.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Lyon actually has some trade value too because he is the only guy who is signed for next year already...by Hextall no less.

IMO, not a lot of value.  Maybe 6th round from someone looking for an AHL goalie.

Because he's really not even an NHL backup.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Maybe 6th round from someone looking for an AHL goalie.

I might pull the trigger on that trade if i knew i could sneak Stolie down to replace him.

Or better yet i would know for certain i would have Sandstrom over for the playoff push because no matter what the Phantoms will more than likely have Hart for the playoffs with the Flyers not looking like they will make it.

But as we stated the Flyers don't have to do anything which is nice.

They could just waive Elliott and then if he makes it through you could then trade Lyon or not. Many options.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm suspecting the hold up on this is to see how Elliott's conditioning stint goes...i imagine it to start tonight vs. Bridgeport.

#fingerscrossed

If it's Elliot, yeah, possibly.    But pretend Dreger is right and it's Stolarz.  What's the hold up?   

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

If it's Elliot, yeah, possibly.    But pretend Dreger is right and it's Stolarz.  What's the hold up?   

Good question.

Unless there is another trade being worked out so as soon as that happens Elliott is ready to be traded. Elliott needs to show the team wanting to trade for him that he is ready.

For example:

Stolarz for Talbot 

and then

Elliott for a 4th round pick to the Blue Jackets.

Why would the Flyers make this trade, assuming it is just Talbot for Stolarz?

I get that Talbot and Hart are buddies and Stolarz is likely to be a UFA.  But shouldn't we get at least a little something more back for helping EDM with their cap issues?

2 minutes ago, vis said:

I get that Talbot and Hart are buddies and Stolarz is likely to be a UFA.  But shouldn't we get at least a little something more back for helping EDM with their cap issues?

Maybe they want to get something for him since he won't be playing the 16 games to keep him a RFA and then he would be a UFA and could walk for nothing.

Not sure if you seen the 16 games discussion yesterday.

And they may think Talbot is better suited for the backup role.

I mean Stolie does still have some issues he needs to resolve and may never fix.

Just speculating here.

4 minutes ago, vis said:

Meant to add this to my last response depends also what else comes of with Talbot.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe they want to get something for him since he won't be playing the 16 games to keep him a RFA and then he would be a UFA and could walk for nothing.

Not sure if you seen the 16 games discussion yesterday.

And they may think Talbot is better suited for the backup role.

I mean Stolie does still have some issues he needs to resolve and may never fix.

Just speculating here.

Yes, understood re: the 16 games.  I get the rationale for swapping the goalies.  What I wonder about is whether Fletcher could extract a little something more for EDM since they are in a bind.  Maybe he's just doing a favor for the GM (although, I believe the GM is an interim - what's the long term?).  Or maybe he doesn't care to try to get a 5th or 6th round pick.  

6 minutes ago, vis said:

Yes, understood re: the 16 games.  I get the rationale for swapping the goalies.  What I wonder about is whether Fletcher could extract a little something more for EDM since they are in a bind.  Maybe he's just doing a favor for the GM (although, I believe the GM is an interim - what's the long term?).  Or maybe he doesn't care to try to get a 5th or 6th round pick.  

Oh yes its what I eluded to Flyers with Elliott as well don't have to do this deal. It's to help them out with their cap situation Chia left them with.

Sekara needs to come off of IR and they need cap space as well as a roster spot for him.

The roster spot could be resolved by them just waiving someone.

So a sweetener should come with Talbot.

Unless the hold up is the sweetener and they are looking around first.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

What's the hold up

Maybe  someone wants to see Stolie play one more time like sunday in the 2nd half of the back to back with the Wings this weekend.

I think Chuck is working on a move with the goalies and Simmer and who knows maybe a defenseman and Raffl too.

It could be one huge deal or 2 or 3 smaller ones involving players, prospect and picks.

And he needs to be absolutely sure he is making the right call on it.

Maybe he needs to see them two more times before doing it.

Who knows we're all in suspense...

3 hours ago, vis said:

This is from an Oilers fan... What's in it for the Flyers?

I know that the Oilers aren't exactly a feared team in the defensive end of things, but Talbot has been bad for awhile now. He has the worst SV% in the NHL over the last two seasons. He's allowed a goal on the first shot 26 times in his last 98 games. He and Hart are buddies, but it can't be worth THAT much to them to make the kid comfortable, can it?

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm suspecting the hold up on this is to see how Elliott's conditioning stint goes...i imagine it to start tonight vs. Bridgeport.

#fingerscrossed

Hold up would probably be the Oilers schedule and the Flyers schedule this weekend. Also whether the Flyers can work out an extension for Talbot. UFA at years end. 

1 minute ago, albertaflyer said:

Hold up would probably be the Oilers schedule and the Flyers schedule this weekend. Also whether the Flyers can work out an extension for Talbot. UFA at years end. 

Yes it could be.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

He and Hart are buddies, but it can't be worth THAT much to them to make the kid comfortable, can it?

They would be fools to do this deal on that reason alone and to do it straight up for Stolie would be even crazier there would have to be more coming back to the Flyers or no friggin way i make this deal.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

I know that the Oilers aren't exactly a feared team in the defensive end of things, but Talbot has been bad for awhile now. He has the worst SV% in the NHL over the last two seasons. He's allowed a goal on the first shot 26 times in his last 98 games. He and Hart are buddies, but it can't be worth THAT much to them to make the kid comfortable, can it?

What's in it is your young RWer is coming with. 

22 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

Hold up would probably be the Oilers schedule and the Flyers schedule this weekend

@ruxpin

Nope i just seen where Elliotte Friedman was on NHL network that the hold up was the Flyers wanted a Elliott for Talbot trade and the Oilers want a Talbot for Stolie trade....so it sounds like Chuck sent back his requirements if it was for Stolie than they need need something more back maybe something they don't want to part with.

Then this report surfaced this afternoon about the Oilers wanting to speak with Jesse Puljujarvi's agent.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6297759-report-oilers-meet-with-jesse-puljujarvi-s-agent-amid-trade-rumors/partners/43677

So yeah if you want Stolie it's going to cost you Jesse makes sense to me hence the hold up...i think the Oilers are weighing the offer and looking for an alternative resolution....and i'm afraid they ain't going to find one without it costing something. 

4 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

This!   Fletcher is a fool to settle for Talbot.

Why is it even desired to have 2 goaltenders who are buddies on the same team?  They only need to be teammates not BFF.

:confused[1]:

Archived