Flyers Goaltending Situation

Howie58

19 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I actually like Hagg, but I have to agree that if you're going to move one of the young guys (and still get value in return), the most likely candidate is Hagg.  And if Gudas and McDonald are both healthy and not being moved, you do it now.  You don't wait until he's been sitting in the press box 80% of the time and you've killed all your bargaining position.

Agreed.  I’d move Hagg just because I’m not moving Sanheim, Myers or Morin. 

Im not reading any of them for a goalie though.  

They can cobble together a season season with what they have.  It ain’t gonna be pretty and no one might get more than 25 games, but they can do it (especially if they luck out on sliding Lyon or Stolie through waivers at some point). 

Theres no no way I’m hell im trading any of them for a goalie.  Just ride out this year on what they have and even if the vets are all hurt, then give Hart a limited number of games.  So be it. 

Right Now Hart is their best goalie.  I don’t want him playing a full season because I’m afraid of injury this early in his career while he’s still very young and not physically mature yet, but he can probably play NHL minutes.  

I’d start the season with him and Stolie with Neuvirth, Lyon and Elliott on IR or rehab assignment in LV. 

When Elliott looks tobhave shaken off a little more rust, bring him up and send Hart down.  

If that isn’t absolutely horrible, when then try to slide Neuvy and Lyon through waivers.  Or bring one up and carry 3g. 

If hextall all gets a goalie, I want it to be for the Phantoms and Royals only.  Paying for an NHL goalie in a trade is not going to help anything.  

I do do think that IF they can maintain anything better than Mrazek was for them until the playoffs, the other improvements will put them in a better position and of the goalies are still hurt or suck come playoffs just give Hart the position and let it fly.  By the playoffs, if you e handles his workload half decently between the NHL and AHL, Hart in the playoffs is likely your best option. 

Itll be be tricky getting there but it’s better than giving up any assets for a mediocre rental. 

Steve Mason is still available. There's the solution right there. Hart can go to Lehigh Valley and get the game time he needs, Mason and Elliott can backstop the Flyers and when Neuvirth is healthy, he can be waived. The fact that the answer is SO obvious, but Flyers management and coaching are such pig headed and stubborn SOBs, they'd rather sit and rest on their laurels.

12 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Flyers management and coaching are such pig headed and stubborn SOBs, they'd rather sit and rest on their laurels.

What laurels are these? Two playoff rounds in three years? Or three in six?

Asking for an or-gan-I-za-shun.

Edited by radoran

4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Steve Mason is still available. There's the solution right there. Hart can go to Lehigh Valley and get the game time he needs, Mason and Elliott can backstop the Flyers and when Neuvirth is healthy, he can be waived. The fact that the answer is SO obvious, but Flyers management and coaching are such pig headed and stubborn SOBs, they'd rather sit and rest on their laurels.

It's not obvious. Mason is done. He tossed his opportunity last year. 

I like the guy, but he is no longer an NHL goalie. 

I'd take Budaj over him and I'm not a fan. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

On 9/24/2018 at 10:35 PM, FD19372 said:

At this point, in all seriousness, letting Hart start the season and making Neuvirth the backup might be what is truly best for the team. Trade Elliott for whatever you can get for him right now.

Neuvirth is hurt too.  Elliott is playing like this because he's obviously still recovering from injury.

Hart showed last night in the Rangers game that he's not a miracle cure yet as well.

My Gut says to play whatever you have to in LV for a few weeks and carry 3 goalies in the NHL:  Stolarz, Hart and Elliott and just do the best you can.  This will likely cost Phil Myers a start with the season, but then again, it really looks like MacDonald should still be on the IR as well, so maybe not.

Folin, Weise and Elliott in the press box while Elliott continues to try to get through his recovery for the first month or so.  Give Elliott a game once in a while to keep pushing him back to game shape.  

Give Neuvirth and Lyon the time they need to recover and then their rehab stints in the AHL as needed.  Give them EXTRA time to recover too because this garbage about bringing goalies back before their ready is hurting the team more than helping it.  

After a few weeks of this, they should have a much clearer picture of what's going to be needed and who can be slid through waivers.

Long and short is, you do what you have to to keep Hart from being the NHL starter all year, but you play him at least as a tandem for a little while at most if he's your best option because literally everyone else is hurt.  

I still like Budaj and Nilsson if they're going to make a trade.  I would be totally cool entertaining trading for an Anderson type if it costs a 2nd round pick like Mrazek did, but not at all if it costs any real assets that aren't named MacDonald or Lehtera. 

It's not likely to happen because the Sens are really into shooting themselves in the foot rather than helping a divisional rival like the Flyers (apparently there's a clause in the Karlsson trade that says the Sens get an extra first rounder if Karlsson signs with an Eastern Conf. team in the off season, which IS BONKERS.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Neuvirth is hurt too.  Elliott is playing like this because he's obviously still recovering from injury.

Hart showed last night in the Rangers game that he's not a miracle cure yet as well.

My Gut says to play whatever you have to in LV for a few weeks and carry 3 goalies in the NHL:  Stolarz, Hart and Elliott and just do the best you can.  This will likely cost Phil Myers a start with the season, but then again, it really looks like MacDonald should still be on the IR as well, so maybe not.

Folin, Weise and Elliott in the press box while Elliott continues to try to get through his recovery for the first month or so.  Give Elliott a game once in a while to keep pushing him back to game shape.  

Give Neuvirth and Lyon the time they need to recover and then their rehab stints in the AHL as needed.  Give them EXTRA time to recover too because this garbage about bringing goalies back before their ready is hurting the team more than helping it.  

After a few weeks of this, they should have a much clearer picture of what's going to be needed and who can be slid through waivers.

Long and short is, you do what you have to to keep Hart from being the NHL starter all year, but you play him at least as a tandem for a little while at most if he's your best option because literally everyone else is hurt.  

I still like Budaj and Nilsson if they're going to make a trade.  I would be totally cool entertaining trading for an Anderson type if it costs a 2nd round pick like Mrazek did, but not at all if it costs any real assets that aren't named MacDonald or Lehtera. 

It's not likely to happen because the Sens are really into shooting themselves in the foot rather than helping a divisional rival like the Flyers (apparently there's a clause in the Karlsson trade that says the Sens get an extra first rounder if Karlsson signs with an Eastern Conf. team in the off season, which IS BONKERS.  

The good news is that if they can make it to the deadline in decent position despite these problems, there are like 

Of course, Steve Mason is still without a team... but that seems like it would just be another injury time bomb and oh yeah, they all hate each other.

Chicago will likely need both Ward and Crawford.

Aaron Dell would not be a horrible acquisition.

They might be able to convince Ryan Miller to waive if he's given he chance to start again rather than riding the pine for a competitive team.  But that's doubtful.  

8 hours ago, King Knut said:

not for nothing, but if the fear is that teams will claim stolarz, now is better than in a few weeks.  right now, a ton of goalies (and several tons of position players) are being exposed, and stolarz isn't going to be attracting any particular attention.  everyone has had all summer to put themselves in "i'm good with this" situations vis a vis their opening night roster, especially their goalies.  two weeks later, when 3 starting goalies and 2 backups are on the IR and stolarz is the only goalie on a waiver wire consisting of 4 total players, you maybe run into some complications.

i'm entirely out of the loop, but it sounds like hart might be for real, hart is really young, everyone else is kinda crap, and the team is still running on at least one flat tire, my thoughts:

1.  do not put a 20 year old goalie with zero professional experience in a position where he is maybe expected to be a difference maker in the NHL.  goalies are headcases by definition, you are rolling a die with 5 sides marked "1" handling him that way.  yes, a few teams have rolled 6 in that situation (price), but bad odds are bad odds.  don't take them if you don't have to.

2.  playing him, and maybe playing him a little bit hard early in the season and then sending him down once a vet comes back from the IR is not expecting him to be a difference maker.  my opinion, giving him 4-6 NHL games right there at the start, and then sending him to the A with a, "so, hey, that's how things work up here, that's the speed and environment you need to be able to handle, get to work and we'll see you before too long," would probably be a really good thing.

3.  if he does very very well over those 4-6 games, you still send him down when the goalies you care less about become available.  steve mason was amazing his freshman season.  he was also 20.  there is a lesson there.

4.  if stolarz is someone you care about holding on to (though, i wonder:  why, if you have your goalie of the future waiting behind him.  decent backups are easy to find, so...who cares?), you send him down with the masses over the next 5 or so days.  no one knows who he is right now.  give it a couple weeks, a few goalies get knocked around and bounced onto the IR, one guy with a "G" next to his name on the wire will draw attention.

so, yeah.

hey, it's fun to type again!  hope everyone is doing well!

:)

• Like 1

@King Knut you wrote something like....that judging by the way he played last night Hart is not the answer right now..I only saw the highlights, but one goal was a slam dunk , one tip in and one empty net,  so there was only one goal that he could possibly be faulted on.Did you notice something in his game that leads you to believe this? I know he’s only 20 but he still looks better than any of the other guys so far.

On 9/28/2018 at 8:20 PM, aziz said:

not for nothing, but if the fear is that teams will claim stolarz, now is better than in a few weeks.  right now, a ton of goalies (and several tons of position players) are being exposed, and stolarz isn't going to be attracting any particular attention.  everyone has had all summer to put themselves in "i'm good with this" situations vis a vis their opening night roster, especially their goalies.  two weeks later, when 3 starting goalies and 2 backups are on the IR and stolarz is the only goalie on a waiver wire consisting of 4 total players, you maybe run into some complications.

i'm entirely out of the loop, but it sounds like hart might be for real, hart is really young, everyone else is kinda crap, and the team is still running on at least one flat tire, my thoughts:

1.  do not put a 20 year old goalie with zero professional experience in a position where he is maybe expected to be a difference maker in the NHL.  goalies are headcases by definition, you are rolling a die with 5 sides marked "1" handling him that way.  yes, a few teams have rolled 6 in that situation (price), but bad odds are bad odds.  don't take them if you don't have to.

2.  playing him, and maybe playing him a little bit hard early in the season and then sending him down once a vet comes back from the IR is not expecting him to be a difference maker.  my opinion, giving him 4-6 NHL games right there at the start, and then sending him to the A with a, "so, hey, that's how things work up here, that's the speed and environment you need to be able to handle, get to work and we'll see you before too long," would probably be a really good thing.

3.  if he does very very well over those 4-6 games, you still send him down when the goalies you care less about become available.  steve mason was amazing his freshman season.  he was also 20.  there is a lesson there.

4.  if stolarz is someone you care about holding on to (though, i wonder:  why, if you have your goalie of the future waiting behind him.  decent backups are easy to find, so...who cares?), you send him down with the masses over the next 5 or so days.  no one knows who he is right now.  give it a couple weeks, a few goalies get knocked around and bounced onto the IR, one guy with a "G" next to his name on the wire will draw attention.

so, yeah.

hey, it's fun to type again!  hope everyone is doing well!

:)

How’ve you been Aziz! Good to read you. 

I agree with all of that. It’s a good point about. Ow being the time to sneak Stolarz through.  Same goes for Lyon if they’re not going to IR him and maybe even if they are.  

Lyon’s AHL playoffs might make him a target and Hextall felt strongly enough about protecting Stolarz in the expansion draft that he signed Neuvy just so he could protect Stolarz, so it feels a little sicker than it probably is.  If anyone is going to claim them, they have to make their NHL roster and that’s a tough ask for any team with these guys. 

That said, the only thing I agree with only 50% or so is that it can always find a backup goalie.  Last year kinda proved that a bit tougher than I’d have thought.  

I still agree a few games, like you said, with Hart as your “best option” but not your savior might be okay (despite me being generally against him getting a ton of NHL time at 20). 

I think Elliott’s the only one I try to avoid waivers on.  

On 9/28/2018 at 8:32 PM, RonJeremy said:

@King Knut you wrote something like....that judging by the way he played last night Hart is not the answer right now..I only saw the highlights, but one goal was a slam dunk , one tip in and one empty net,  so there was only one goal that he could possibly be faulted on.Did you notice something in his game that leads you to believe this? I know he’s only 20 but he still looks better than any of the other guys so far.

I guess what I meant is that he didn’t look quite as amazing as before and to Hexy, on a 20 y/o rookie, that might be all he needs to see to send him back.  

But i’m Personally with you. 

I actually wonder if the team eased off a bit to let him get peppered a bit to watch him deal with stress work and poor D. 

Maybe. 

And yes.   I don’t want him up all year, but with the injuries and recoveries, he could be the best chance to pot a few wins early. 

Well from reports Elliott looked better. I didn't see the game for work and other things after wards but that is good to hear.

And he outdueled Rask not some scrub.

This teams seems to have good potential if they can get good goaltending to give them a chance to display it.

I think if they ca stay healthy and develop some good chemistry with all 4 lines (stability with the line combos and and less juggling will help) and the blueline they should be a threat to make the playoffs and maybe just maybe get to the second round.

But right now honestly with the first game having not even been played yet i will remain cautiously optimistic!!!!! 

Key injuries can change the landscape real quick.

However sitting on the cusp of the season and seeing they have 10.2 mill in cap space is down right amazing!

I notice capfriendly has Mcdud listed as on IR is he injured still???

Or again..........i notice he did play and Meyers was a last minute recall. 

Man a Stanley Cup final team in Vegas is a tall task for the season opener for sure. Let's see what they got!

I think aside from goaltending, our #3-6 defenseman need to step up to the next level and play sound defensive hockey otherwise we will only be slightly improved from last year due to additional offense. We really need to cut down the goals against. Hopefully my mid season someone can step in and replace McDonald.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I think aside from goaltending, our #3-6 defenseman need to step up to the next level and play sound defensive hockey otherwise we will only be slightly improved from last year due to additional offense. We really need to cut down the goals against. Hopefully my mid season someone can step in and replace McDonald.

A lot will have to do with pairings too. Provo/Ghost was extremely effective. Ghost/whoever not so much. Provo is the anchor and can essentially play with anyone. If that person happens to be gifted offensively, it leads to some great things.

So on that note, either Hak goes back to Provo/Ghost or he may try him with Sanheim. Regardless of the set up, the most likely candidate to step up has to be Sanheim. He's capable and played very well last season when called upon. He needs to get the game experience needed to take the next step.

Behind him, it's difficult to expect miracles from the likes of McDud, Hagg, Gudas, and Folin. I don't hate McDud as a 4th, but that leaves Hagg and Gudas as a third pairing, which is a recipe for disaster imo. I don't know nearly enough about Folin to say too much, but from what I do know he's essentially a similar player to Hagg. So, meh.

Hagg could show us something new this season too. He's unlikely to become an offensive machine any time soon, but maybe he could be an effective shut down guy. I won't put money on it, but it would be nice if it happened. It would definitely help give more options...

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Flyers claim Pickard from Toronto.

What are the odds that the Flyers would end up with the only two NHL players from my hometown??

Apparently the local folks are working on getting the Leafs to come here for training camp next season.... screw that, I say! Bring the Flyers with Myers (and Pickard if he lasts that long! Couturier also grew up here and co-owns a team. 

The Leafs? Nada. 

• Like 1

From the Training Camp Thread .......

18 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Well there is your answer to the Goalie question.  There is the veteran Goalie most were predicting.

Calvin Pickard has been claimed off of waivers today by the Philadelphia Flyers (home to a revolving door for goalies on IR). Pickard, 25, was acquired by the Leafs on October 6 last year in a trade with the Vegas Golden Knights. Vegas had taken Pickard in the expansion draft from the Colorado Avalanche.

Pickard played in only one game for the Leafs last season, but he was the number two goalie on the Marlies and finished 12th in the AHL in save percentage for goalies who had played at least 1,440 minutes.

Capture.JPG.69c98250964926a308c5219a2fce4036.JPG

Read more  

Yes so now do the Flyers keep 3 goalies or do they sneak

Stolie through waivers now with most of the rosters set??

So who knows what they do?? They could waive Stolie, Neuvy and Lyon if they want....it seems to be insurance in case one of them gets claimed or someone gets injured again....seems Ron has a plan and we'll have to wait and see...

15 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Perhaps the Leafs will pick up Stolarz.

The only way they can do that is if they waive Garret Sparks to make room can't see that happening.

Flyers could waive someone when they make a move and i think Stolie would have to go unclaimed and then the Leafs could sign him.

I saw Curtis M get bombed a few nights ago. Columbus said bye last year. He is 35...days may be over.  Someone might throw us a bone for Stolie.  Meanwhile, I can't recall anything like this. Part of me wonders if Neuvy is being written off in terms of serviceability.  We know Hart isn't going anywhere.  Elliott is around for the year (other than injury).  Stolie would not have been re-signed if he were viewed as a disposable commodity.  Lyon has shown he's worth further "testing."   Too complicated for me. 

33 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I saw Curtis M get bombed a few nights ago. Columbus said bye last year. He is 35...days may be over.  Someone might throw us a bone for Stolie.  Meanwhile, I can't recall anything like this. Part of me wonders if Neuvy is being written off in terms of serviceability.  We know Hart isn't going anywhere.  Elliott is around for the year (other than injury).  Stolie would not have been re-signed if he were viewed as a disposable commodity.  Lyon has shown he's worth further "testing."   Too complicated for me. 

Yes Leafs went the better proven prospect so to speak Sparks is coming off a AHL title which he played outstanding.

Well deserved the backup role.

And yes fingers crossed Flyers ge something if they decide to move on from the former 2nd round pick Stolie.

Pickard is a former 2nd  round pick too and has 71 games of NHL experience.

So i hope the best man wins.

53 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The only way they can do that is if they waive Garret Sparks to make room can't see that happening.

Leafs are not going to waive Sparks.... like you said...that simply will not happen.

• Like 1

Look, I think there is zero trust in Stolarz's knee(s)

Going into the season with a not fully recovered #1 (such that it is), A #2 that is unproven and also coming off a serious injury to a part of his body with a bad history of injury, a guy on IR, another guy on IR and a 19 year old you want to try to develop... this is an okay move.

When guys get healthy, waive whomever isn't excelling. There are now a pile of guys for 4 spots, the only healthy one is the one we don't want to see get lit up and ruined before he even gets started. 

There's 10 mil in cap space, it's only money. 

This is a safe move.

• Like 1