Flyers Goaltending Situation

Howie58

DohDWX6XoAEynfO.jpg

Well at least they have enough guys that hopefully when all is said and done they get to keep the best ones..

...they have to get healthy first...Flyers the only club in the NHL with 6 backup goaltenders....cornering the market on them!!!!!!!

It will be interesting to see what they do. I'd think they want to get Pickard in at least one game? Otherwise, why even pick him up and not just go with Stolarz if they weren't even gonna get a game?

I really hope they waive Neuvirth. That experiment is done. 

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

It will be interesting to see what they do. I'd think they want to get Pickard in at least one game? Otherwise, why even pick him up and not just go with Stolarz if they weren't even gonna get a game?

I really hope they waive Neuvirth. That experiment is done. 

They are going to have to waive them or send Wiese back down to make room for them and carry 3 goalies.

Neuvy will be first. Then Lyon.

Pickard has to remain on the team for 30 days.

It's not that big a worry now they have Hart and Stolie down and ready to play.

Now once they make it through waivers then Hextall can trade two of them to other teams so they can stash them on their farm teams.

Guess we'll see.

I'm not sure if some of this was posted earlier, but I found the quote from Picard interesting as he backs up Elliot tonight against the Aves.

Former Avalanche goalie Calvin Pickard was back at the Pepsi Center for the morning skate and will back up Elliott. The Flyers claimed him on waivers Tuesday from Toronto.

Pickard was selected by Vegas in the expansion draft, but he was put on waivers and claimed by the Maple Leafs. He played one game for the Leafs, a 4-3 overtime loss in Denver, and spent the season with the AHL Toronto Marlies, who went on to win the league championship.

"It's a good opportunity for me to come in here and play some games, and I have to take advantage that," said Pickard, who will wear No. 33. “Couldn’t have that number here,” he said, referring to the digits of Hall of Famer Patrick Roy.

"It's definitely a whirlwind,” said Pickard, who got married over the summer in his hometown of Winnipeg. “I got comfortable in Toronto, it's a good organization. It's tough to leave, but this is a better opportunity and I'm excited about it."

Pickard had a 21-9-1 record with the Marlies last season with a 2.31 goals-against average and .918 save percentage.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Rick-Sadowski/Barberio-replaces-injured-Nemeth-Pickard-returns-with-Flyers/188/95157

Basically, the back-up position is his for the taking.  With the back-back games next week I expect to see him play vs the Senators on Wed night.

Watching Hockey Night in Canada intermission show and they just reported Roberto Luongo was helped off the ice with looks like could be a significant knee injury. 

Neuvirth would love it in Florida...

Edited by Samifan

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Watching Hockey Night in Canada intermission show and the just reported Roberto Luango was helped off the ice with looks like could be a significant knee injury. 

Neuvirth would love it in Florida...

Well what are you waiting for waive him NOW!

I may not be the best at reading between the lines but this doesn't sound good for Stolie

Obviously Alex Lyon is getting close to playing too, so we’re going to have three guys down there as well. We still think a lot of Stolie, but we have a lot of goalies and we’ll need to make a move.” 

Hhhhhhmmmmmmm....

On 10/6/2018 at 3:39 PM, brelic said:

I really hope they waive Neuvirth.

Hhhhmmmm a new twist i wasn't aware that could very well mean the end of Neuvy.

So if Pickard can play well tonight it might give him a huge boost in unseating him and the one to back Elliott up.

Then when Lyon is ready after already waiving Neuvy of course the Flyers could send Lyon down to backup Hart if that is what they see fit.

Hextall would/could trade Neuvy and/or Stolie to other teams needing someone to fill in the AHL. Like Toronto.

Or they could keep Neuvy and just waive Pickard.

Send Lyon down to backup Hart and ask Stolie to go to the ECHL so he can play.

So there are options.

This merry-go-round is a bit complex. But I have to wonder if Neuvirth is odd man out with injury history.  I don't see anybody trading for him or picking him up at trade deadline.  I would have more faith in Lyon, Stolie, or Pickard in back-up role.  This isn't a cap management move--the O and B are OK with that. But keeping with the Phantoms causes less disruption.  He can be a mentor to the youngins and leave gracefully for Europe...can't see much NHL interest. 

• Like 1

I do think Neuvirth is the odd man out, unless maybe they figure they want to keep some stability in the minors and roll with three in the NHL. It's unfortunate, because Neuvirth IS a good goalie when healthy. He's just healthy less and less. Feel bad for the guy, but the Flyers just can't rely on him.

As i stated a few times i would have pursued Halak as an option in net.

They even had a chance to take him off waivers for free last year.

And now we see how good he looks with a solid team in front of him 2-0 in Boston so far with a 961% 1.18 gaa.

I think him and Elliott would have made a good tandem in Philly. So much for that.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Howie58 said:

This merry-go-round is a bit complex. But I have to wonder if Neuvirth is odd man out with injury history.  I don't see anybody trading for him or picking him up at trade deadline.  I would have more faith in Lyon, Stolie, or Pickard in back-up role.  This isn't a cap management move--the O and B are OK with that. But keeping with the Phantoms causes less disruption.  He can be a mentor to the youngins and leave gracefully for Europe...can't see much NHL interest. 

I truly hope this is what they do.  As bad as I feel for Neuvy, he just can't be relied upon.  Taking a full season with minimal duty to get his body together might in fact be the best thing for him (if he can find a job next year).  

He'll get paid either way, but even if he's better than any other backup options, he can't be relied upon to be able to actually back up.  

18 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I truly hope this is what they do.  As bad as I feel for Neuvy, he just can't be relied upon.  Taking a full season with minimal duty to get his body together might in fact be the best thing for him (if he can find a job next year).  

He'll get paid either way, but even if he's better than any other backup options, he can't be relied upon to be able to actually back up.  

It really comes down to who they like between him and Pickard now.

To me Pickard is the safer choice.

And i hate it for Neuvy because i think he is the better goalie....but for how long...as soon as they were to waive Pickard Neuvy would go down for God knows what it could be.

Sorry Neuvy nothing personal....but it's business....so you got to go....waive him and the Pens might claim him.

23 hours ago, Samifan said:

Coming into today’s game against Vegas, our #1 goalie has a GAA of 4.69. 

Let that marinade for a while. 

Well could be worse your goalie could be making north of 7 mill per year and giving up 8 goals on 31 shots for a paltry 742%...

....yes Bob I'm looking at you!

Somewhere Bryz is rolling over!!!

28 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The Flyers should get on their knees and beg the Ducks to send one Ryan Miller there.  I doubt he would agree, but if he did, you would have your savior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😀

Good one

• Haha 1