Flyers Goaltending Situation

Howie58

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree they are only 1 game below .500 so really to fire him this early in the season would be panic mode.

I don't see Ron as that type of GM.

Homer or Clarke? Sure not Ron.

Give him the rest of the year to fix this.

Then if that is what needs to be done after the season then do it.

Agreed. Hextall is very patient, and a panic firing is not what I would expect from him.

He'll evaluate how things go, and see what's available, and make a decision then.

That being said, I don't think there's any chance Hakstol survives another 10 game losing streak or extended period of poor disorganized play combined with a bad record. That would not be a panic firing, IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

That being said, I don't think there's any chance Hakstol survives another 10 game losing streak or extended period of poor disorganized play combined with a bad record.

that explains the entire season so far - LOL!

The defense is a mess - Folin is not a NHL player at this point and was a stupid signing from the beginning.   Brandon Manning looks like Petro compared to Folin.   Sanheim and Gudas have been the only pair that has played well.  Our goalies are legitimately a joke.  I can't believe I am saying it but I can't wait for Neuvy to come back in net.   Although I am sure he will be hurt in a short period...

Injuries come and go  and this can't be used as an excuse.  Jake continuing his half-ass back checking...  Right now it is ugly and obviously need to right the ship or something needs to happen.  

They are not as bad as their play as of late but this can't become the norm.  Hextall pressed to declare that we need to take a step forward this year and if this continues we will have a great draft pic.   

With Hextall patience is key but when does patience become stupidity?

8 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

that explains the entire season so far - LOL!

Lol fair enough, but we're only 7 games in.

If after 20 games, we're still behind Montreal, Ottawa, NY Islanders, Buffalo, and Vancouver like we are now, and the team looks just as confused, I think we'll see Hextall do something. 

9 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

The defense is a mess - Folin is not a NHL player at this point and was a stupid signing from the beginning.   Brandon Manning looks like Petro compared to Folin.   Sanheim and Gudas have been the only pair that has played well.  Our goalies are legitimately a joke.  I can't believe I am saying it but I can't wait for Neuvy to come back in net.   Although I am sure he will be hurt in a short period...

Injuries come and go  and this can't be used as an excuse.  Jake continuing his half-ass back checking...  Right now it is ugly and obviously need to right the ship or something needs to happen.  

They are not as bad as their play as of late but this can't become the norm.  Hextall pressed to declare that we need to take a step forward this year and if this continues we will have a great draft pic.   

The challenge is that the players who are supposed to be the veteran leaders are the ones making some of the most egregious mistakes. 

Giroux, Voracek, Provorov, Ghost, Simmonds. 

We're not losing games because of Lehtera, Weise, and Weal. 

Sanheim / Gudas have been our best pair, and Hagg has been our #3. Ghost at #4 and Provorov at #5, followed by whichever scrub is #6. So in that scenario, maybe throw Sanheim and Gudas a bone and up their ice time for a few games, and dial it back for Prov and Ghost 5v5. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 10:45 AM, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I thought this was an interesting take on the goalie situation.  

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/7/20/17588626/making-sense-of-the-flyers-goaltending-situation-carter-hart-alex-lyon-neuvirth-elliot-stolarz

Some suggest three goalies in the AHL is workable.  This piece suggests Stolarz gets loaned to another AHL squad (different approach; never even thought about that).  I really can't see Neuvy on the team.  He has the third trainer in as many summers. Yikes...can we really believe the third will be a charm?  

Maybe we should do a two-stage poll--First Q: Will Neuvy be on the roster on opening day? Y/N.  If No, Options are Trade, Waiver, Injury in Camp, ICE Detention....who knows?

I have to wonder if Stolarz is actually better trade bait than Neuvy...yes, he has had injuries, but there is an NHL history and a pretty good AHL record.  Salary is certainly low.

Sorry for summer semi-blather...not much else going on.

Howie

Figured after getting the news that Stolie might start and the current state of the goaltending carousel that is going on why not revisit this...

..and still come November 24th it's still a circus.

Her is a good read on Carter Hart to pass the time...

https://amp.courierpostonline.com/amp/2060690002?__twitter_impression=true

Enjoy.

On 10/19/2018 at 12:44 PM, brelic said:

I'm thinking that if Hakstol gets canned, it will be after the season or when there is a definite upgrade available. Right now, I don't know if there is. Who's available? 

Quennville

McLellan 

John Stevens

Vigneault

Dave Tippett

Mike Sullivan likely very shortly. 

There's options. I don't wait. And I don't let knoblaugh be interim. I sack everyone (I don't think that part is ever done mid-season). 

There is the possibility that Knoblaugh is actually a better head coach than a specialty coach. I don't think I risk that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Quennville

McLellan 

John Stevens

Vigneault

Dave Tippett

Mike Sullivan likely very shortly. 

There's options. I don't wait. And I don't let knoblaugh be interim. I sack everyone (I don't think that part is ever done mid-season). 

There is the possibility that Knoblaugh is actually a better head coach than a specialty coach. I don't think I risk that. 

For me it starts and ends with Q. Possibly AV too.

Elliotte Friedman had a nice piece on how it rarely works to go from Asst Coach to Head Coach for the same team. Asst Coaches are usually the good guy to the coach’s bad guy. Making that switch is uncomfortable for coaches and players. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

For me it starts and ends with Q. Possibly AV too.

Elliotte Friedman had a nice piece on how it rarely works to go from Asst Coach to Head Coach for the same team. Asst Coaches are usually the good guy to the coach’s bad guy. Making that switch is uncomfortable for coaches and players. 

I would seriously take a long look at Tippett, too.  But yeah. 

Great point on assisting to top dog. 

• Like 1

We have 6 goalies in the organization, and the Flyers have already used 5 of them in just 22 games. 

Hart is is the only one who’s been spared. 

On on the radio broadcast yesterday, Tim Saunders and Coatsey were saying that Lundqvist has been the undisputed #1 for 14 years in NY.

During that time, the Flyers have had 19 goalies. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

On 10/19/2018 at 2:32 PM, murraycraven said:

Yes!  We have been waiting and waiting for an elite team to emerge.  We have heard about our stable of prospects.  This was the year it would gel. It appears to be a year from hell.  

• Like 2

You know, I've been all over Hakstol, but the poor guy really hasn't had any goaltending since he's been here.  When he's had stretches of some goaltending his team has been okay.  I'd really like to get him a goalie and a competent backup before sending him packing. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You know, I've been all over Hakstol, but the poor guy really hasn't had any goaltending since he's been here.  When he's had stretches of some goaltending his team has been okay.  I'd really like to get him a goalie and a competent backup before sending him packing. 

Wow who is this I have to get ahold of rux and let him know someone has hijacked his account.

Must be Snowden....

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow who is this I have to get ahold of rux and let him know someone has hijacked his account.

Must be Snowden....

Lol. I'm not ready to absolve him. 

I just wonder what his system or whatever would look like if he wasn't trying to compensate for his goaltending. 

It seems to me he's straddling the fence in a way not entirely dissimilar to Hextall. In both cases, I think the lesson is that you cannot straddle a fence; you have to commit one way or the other. 

With Hextall, we couldn't do the tank and rebuild because his inept predecessors were rewarded with power. And our cap situation prevented an in-flight refuel.  So, he's done this hybrid thing that's been infuriating in its glacial pace and the flaws it has left unrepaired. 

With Hakstol, instead of going all in and trying to win 8-7, and instead of looking at his goaltending and playing a trap game, he's gone with this hybrid "pretend to look normal on offense but always have one skate pointed toward your own end."  it has no chance of success, but it's an attempt to do both. You rarely win two front wars. 

I'm okay if they fire either Hextall or Hakstol or both before I'm done typing this.  I'm just thinking it might have been interesting to see what either could have done if they both weren't so damn hamstrung by circumstances and by those above them. 

33 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Lol. I'm not ready to absolve him. 

I just wonder what his system or whatever would look like if he wasn't trying to compensate for his goaltending. 

It seems to me he's straddling the fence in a way not entirely dissimilar to Hextall. In both cases, I think the lesson is that you cannot straddle a fence; you have to commit one way or the other. 

With Hextall, we couldn't do the tank and rebuild because his inept predecessors were rewarded with power. And our cap situation prevented an in-flight refuel.  So, he's done this hybrid thing that's been infuriating in its glacial pace and the flaws it has left unrepaired. 

With Hakstol, instead of going all in and trying to win 8-7, and instead of looking at his goaltending and playing a trap game, he's gone with this hybrid "pretend to look normal on offense but always have one skate pointed toward your own end."  it has no chance of success, but it's an attempt to do both. You rarely win two front wars. 

I'm okay if they fire either Hextall or Hakstol or both before I'm done typing this.  I'm just thinking it might have been interesting to see what either could have done if they both weren't so damn hamstrung by circumstances and by those above them. 

Oh I know I am with you just poking fun.

Yeah it would be nice if he could get solid goalie who is not coming off a scrap heap no one else wants.

I mean I know it isn't college and all but he had good goalies at ND especially his last two I watched in McIntyre and Cam Johnson.

It would be like giving Doug Pederson Nathan Peterman as his starter and expecting a Super Bowl out of it.

First give the guy the tools to succeed with then judge his results.

Hell I kind of applaud him for getting to the playoffs and getting lit the f**k up by the Caps the year Mason was hot garbage and Neuvy had to come in and save them the best he could.

I don't know just spit balling.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Then Hart lost Saturday 6-2 giving up 6 goals on 38 shots.

Flyer goaltending ya gotta love it.

They probably shouldn't be playing goalies on back-to-backs even at that level.  I know they don't have a lot of options at this point, but it's still a mistake. 

And while we're kvetching about coaching, they should be taking a long look at their goaltending coaches.  I don't think they are competent, either. 

This organization's cancer has metastasized. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

So, we're stuck with Hak forever?

I don't think you thought this through did you? Lol

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Rux!! Just when I had finally reached your level of disgust, you turn around and feel bad for Hak?

Blasphemy!!

Seriously, though, Vegas went through a similar thing last year with way less upper level talent on their team and they went to the SCF after an amazing inaugural regular season.

After 4 seasons, I feel like Hak is all out of mulligans. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brelic said:

Rux!! Just when I had finally reached your level of disgust, you turn around and feel bad for Hak?

Blasphemy!!

Seriously, though, Vegas went through a similar thing last year with way less upper level talent on their team and they went to the SCF after an amazing inaugural regular season.

After 4 seasons, I feel like Hak is all out of mulligans. 

Agreed, but one thing Vegas has was goaltending. 

To your point though, even when Fleury and then Subban were out, the next goalies up had success.  Because the team in front of it was playing in a cohesive manner and with purpose -- even if with arguably lesser talent. 

Okay. I'm back to the dark side