Flyers Goaltending Situation

Howie58

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Agreed, but one thing Vegas has was goaltending. 

To your point though, even when Fleury and then Subban were out, the next goalies up had success.  Because the team in front of it was playing in a cohesive manner and with purpose -- even if with arguably lesser talent. 

Okay. I'm back to the dark side

Plus Vegas didn't dump and chase Gallant let his guys carry the puck into the zone and he didn't bench them or punish them every time they made a mistake.

He even said as much that hey young player are going to make mistakes while trying to learn on the job while being aggressive.

Hak doesn't have that same philosophy and if they f**k up...especially the kids they will be reprimanded...vets well they can do it with no accountability...

...and to me that just sounds ass backwards.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Agreed, but one thing Vegas has was goaltending. 

To your point though, even when Fleury and then Subban were out, the next goalies up had success.  Because the team in front of it was playing in a cohesive manner and with purpose -- even if with arguably lesser talent. 

Okay. I'm back to the dark side

Exactly. When they were down to their 3rd and 4th string goalies, they didn’t let it derail their season.

As bad as our goaltending was last night, the scoring chances came as a result of just brutal OHL level turnovers. 

I expect those from Patrick and Sanheim, but not from Ghost and Giroux. 

To me, that’s a coaching issue. 

13 pages and over 300 replies, I certainly didn't go back and read them all, but I got to thinking after seeing what happened against Ottawa and the fact that it looks like the Flyers are starting to dismantle some parts in various parts of the organization (started, unfortunately, with Hextall)….

As a "stop gap" till the young goalie prospect(s) are ready...
If you can get Jimmy Howard, 34, on a two year deal...maybe 2-3M AAV.... or perhaps convince Keith Kinkaid, 29, to leave NJ and jump over the state line into PA by giving him a raise from his 1.25M to maybe about 3-3.5M for about 3 or 4 years...or even Casey DeSmith, 27, currently making under $700K with the Penguins, giving him a nice raise to about $2M per or so for about 3 or 4 years....

All those guys will be UFA's, have NHL experience, have proven they can stop pucks even under terrible defensive conditions (or at least conditions where the defense is still maturing), can maybe help the Flyers win a bit in the present while the real long term solutions for a championship continue to develop...and no big crazy contracts to worry about down the road tied up with any of these goalies.

Would any of those three appeal to Flyers fans as a short term solution?

Sorry if these guys were discussed already...again, lots of pages, lots of replies....
These thoughts just occurred to me as I saw the meltdown against the Senators...

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Every shot that beat Stolarz was a deflection or crazy ass bounce, Dushene's goal was literally unbelievable hand eye coordination.

He didn't even think it had a shot to go in.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/video/insane-matt-duchene-goal-wins-it-ottawa-senators-4-3-vs-flyers

So despite the fact that the kid did cough up a 2 goal cushion, he didn't let in any softies. Plus he had his team freakout and stop skating in front of him after Tkatuck the "ultimate winner" scored. which was just weird.

Something needs done, but heck I'm sort of interested in seeing what Stolarz has got, he's big he's a good athlete, he's got a great attitude...

I don't think anything substantial happens until after the season with regard to the goaltending, but Idon't know Holmgren might just flip out and do a bunch of crazy ****. so...

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Plus he had his team freakout and stop skating in front of him after Tkatuck the "ultimate winner" scored. which was just weird.

The coach should have called a timeout after Tkachuk goals, or even after the first of his goals, to calm things down and rally/wake the guys up.

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Something needs done, but heck I'm sort of interested in seeing what Stolarz has got, he's big he's a good athlete, he's got a great attitude...

I agree and he even come in cold versus a hot Leaf team and put up a 943% in relief...wonder what may have been ad not spastic Pickard gotten the start.

Yes let's start to evaluate what is right under our noses before looking elsewhere.

Give the kid and shot.

Nowhere to go but up. Literally!

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree and he even come in cold versus a hot Leaf team and put up a 943% in relief...wonder what may have been ad not spastic Pickard gotten the start.

Yes let's start to evaluate what is right under our noses before looking elsewhere.

Give the kid and shot.

Nowhere to go but up. Literally!

If they even consider starting any of the other current goalies than Stolarz, they(whoever called the decision) should be immediately fired.....from a cannon....into the same wall that killed Pelle.....

FWIW in the Philly area they are airing the Phantoms vs Marlies (on NHL network) and Carter Hart looks awesome through 2 periods.  Phantoms are up 3-1 going into the 3rd period.

He is standing on his head and has made multiple 10 bell saves so far.

Watched the game. There were 2 goals against, each of which were unstoppable. Hart is really coming on. I hope that the brass keeps him for this year, but he is getting closer and closer to reaching the NHL>

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

Watched the game. There were 2 goals against, each of which were unstoppable. Hart is really coming on. I hope that the brass keeps him for this year, but he is getting closer and closer to reaching the NHL>

Very interest in seeing what Homer does with this goalie situation when Elliott gets healthy and ready to play.

Stolie has the teams best numbers leads with a 912% and it wouldn't even been close if not for the teams epic collapse versus the Sens the other night.

My guess after seeing Pickard claimed Homer should have no choice but to waive Neuvy...no choice.

On 11/28/2018 at 2:23 PM, flyerrod said:

If they even consider starting any of the other current goalies than Stolarz, they(whoever called the decision) should be immediately fired.....from a cannon....into the same wall that killed Pelle.....

I'm pulling for the kid he has overcome a lot and has a great attitude....

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/anthony-stolarz-flyers-future-now

It's funny how things in the league can change quickly...just look at Bob he is sitting 37th in the league with a 901%  and 3.04 gaa.

And just 10-9-0 record.

Will the Blue Jackets move on from him??? Would/should the Flyers be interested in him??

Thoughts???

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's funny how things in the league can change quickly...just look at Bob he is sitting 37th in the league with a 901%  and 3.04 gaa.

And just 10-9-0 record.

Will the Blue Jackets move on from him??? Would/should the Flyers be interested in him??

Thoughts???

Well they are in Philly tomorrow and I would expect Bobrovsky to start?  Is Neuvirth or the other guy going to start for PhillY?  And in Buffalo Saturday who do you expect starts?

11 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well they are in Philly tomorrow and I would expect Bobrovsky to start?  Is Neuvirth or the other guy going to start for PhillY?  And in Buffalo Saturday who do you expect starts?

I'm sure Stolarz will start he has played well this season so far.

In limited playing time he has a 2.23 gaa and a 923% so that is what you would like to maintain.

I hope Stolie can run with the job. Bob Mckenzie just said he thinks Chuck's first move might be for a goaltender...go after his Devan Dubnyk in goal...i've already name Oscar Dansk as the guy i would target...Stolie plays well and then maybe the point is moot.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm sure Stolarz will start he has played well this season so far.

In limited playing time he has a 2.23 gaa and a 923% so that is what you would like to maintain.

I hope Stolie can run with the job. Bob Mckenzie just said he thinks Chuck's first move might be for a goaltender...go after his Devan Dubnyk in goal...i've already name Oscar Dansk as the guy i would target...Stolie plays well and then maybe the point is moot.

Look at the Kings.  Two great goalies but no team in front of them.  So no matter how good the goalies may be, the D must come through to some degree or forget it.  

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Look at the Kings.  Two great goalies but no team in front of them.  So no matter how good the goalies may be, the D must come through to some degree or forget it.  

Flyers have a team in front of him they will get their stuff together and Stolie will give them a chance.

Flyers have a great lineup the season is ebbs and flows.

The have made adjustments to the defensive coach.

Ivan Provorov didn't lead the NHL last year in goals for a defenseman for nothing.

This things will get turned around a lot of the season left to play. No worries.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers have a team in front of him they will get their stuff together and Stolie will give them a chance.

Flyers have a great lineup the season is ebbs and flows.

The have made adjustments to the defensive coach.

Ivan Provorov didn't lead the NHL last year in goals for a defenseman for nothing.

This things will get turned around a lot of the season left to play. No worries.

There are always worries.  You know that.  For my team and yours.  The Flyers have to name a GM and its unlikely the coach will survive the new hiring?  But who knows.  It was a good effort winning in Pittsburgh.  Its going to take a phenomenal one to stop the Sabres from ending this small skid.  I do not care who we are playing, it just happens to be the Flyers. I expect us to win this game no matter the opponent.  They deserved better last night.

There are always worries.  You know that.  For my team and yours.  The Flyers have to name a GM and its unlikely the coach will survive the new hiring?  But who knows.  It was a good effort winning in Pittsburgh.  Its going to take a phenomenal one to stop the Sabres from ending this small skid.  I do not care who we are playing, it just happens to be the Flyers. I expect us to win this game no matter the opponent.  They deserved better last night.

They have hired a GM. Several days ago. You must have missed the meltdown on the board. 

Chuck Fletcher from the Wild.  (barf) 

Not this year.

They are 5th from the bottom with a coach who is on borrowed time. I'm cool with whatever happens with this club.

If they find a way to dig out the hole and make the playoffs i'm cool with it.

If they continue the downward spiral i am cool with it they will get a new coach more than likely and a chance for Hughes.

No worries. Really.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not this year.

They are 5th from the bottom with a coach who is on borrowed time. I'm cool with whatever happens with this club.

If they find a way to dig out the hole and make the playoffs i'm cool with it.

If they continue the downward spiral i am cool with it they will get a new coach more than likely and a chance for Hughes.

No worries. Really.

So do you think they should tank like we did to get Eichel?  And Hughes is not the number one prospect. The Russian is.  As for you above Rux, the Flyers did not name the new GM yet to my knowledge did they ?

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

You guys are 0-2-2 no worries they will be up for the challenge.

I am certainly not worried about this minor slump after winning 10 in a row.  I expected this given the opponents and the timing the NHL threw at us.  I mean, at Nashville and then the Leafs the next night is bad enough and Tampa and Florida just before it. We gave Tampa all they could handle.  The Sabres lost by one goal in those loss's and two in OT.  The schedule gets a bit better but then we get Boston soon and I am looking forward to that.  We have a good chance to pay back our old nemesis, the Bruins

6 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So do you think they should tank like we did to get Eichel?  And Hughes is not the number one prospect. The Russian is.  As for you above Rux, the Flyers did not name the new GM yet to my knowledge did they ?

Hughes will be the first overall pick. 

In a walk. 

Archived