Flyers Goaltending Situation

Howie58

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Personally, I think I'd trade him for a Klondike Bar.    

Go figure tonight they get a goalie to make some saves and hold them in the game...

...and they can't score in a where house with a 100 dollar bill...man they just are a lifeless bunch.

And Laughton has had his head up his ass tonight.

It might be time to see if Vorobyev is ready for a recall and sit Laughton.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Go figure tonight they get a goalie to make some saves and hold them in the game...

...and they can't score in a where house with a 100 dollar bill...man they just are a lifeless bunch.

And Laughton has had his head up his ass tonight.

It might be time to see if Vorobyev is ready for a recall and sit Laughton.

Laughton has played decently. Just not tonight. 

I'm with you on Vorobyov, though. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

@OccamsRazor

I don't really have anyone in mind but am not sure so I'll ask. 

They cannot bring up anyone in juniors until the juniors season is over, correct?

Yes it will be towards the end of the season once their teams are done with their seasons.

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

If Hextall were still here, I would agree without blinking.  Because JVR is (was) his one big FA signing, so trading him would be admission that his one big splash was a failure.

I'm not expecting him to be traded, actually, but I don't think he's untouchable with the new GM.   Nearly so, though, because much for the same reason, I don't think Holmgren will want to move him quite yet.   If they're all about pointlessly wanting to make the playoffs this year, the Flyers' management has to think he is a part of that.

Personally, I think I'd trade him for a Klondike Bar.    

More than Giroux, Voracek, or JVR, I'm more concerned with them giving into the temptation to trade one of the kids (plus picks) for a 3C or a rent-a-mule goalie du jour.   Just so we can have 2 or 3 playoff home games and call it a success.

I wish the Sabres could get JVR. I like him

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Man, is he having a hell of a season.  I don't understand his season last year, actually, because he was very good the year before.

I went out of my way to draft him in fantasy and am really glad I did.

Well if you want to trade him I will give you a top defenseman like Ecklad or a good forward.  

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well if you want to trade him I will give you a top defenseman like Ecklad or a good forward.  

Sorry, not in your league, but it would take a LOT more than Ekblad.  He's waiver wire fodder in fantasy hockey.   If we were in the same league, I'd probably give you JVR for him (I have him too, sadly).

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Sorry, not in your league, but it would take a LOT more than Ekblad.  He's waiver wire fodder in fantasy hockey.   If we were in the same league, I'd probably give you JVR for him (I have him too, sadly).

I am in the freaking AHL league.  LOL.  Banned to the idiot league because i have not played this game that long.  Eckblad scored last night.  Somehow I still have the big lead on this guy I am playing and he had a boatload of guys going last night and I had like 3 or 4.  But they all scored.  I offered more than Eckblad, and its the lower league so what do you care?  Unless you are winning it right now? I do not check the standings.  Only know I was in last place even though it looks like I might win 3 of my last 4.  I had an illegal lineup without knowing early on.

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Frosts season will likely last longer than Phillys.

No argument there and good for him...i'm gald he isn't part of this sh it fest in Philly this year...Hak would have him play 6 minutes a night on the 4th line like he has done to Oskar lately anyways. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 6:35 PM, Howie58 said:

A game here and there won't tell us much.  On that score, a "healthy" Elliott-Neuvirth duo may be effective...but puts off the day of reckoning long-term.

That has to be an oxymoron....right?

th (17).jpg

Image result for michal neuvirth collapse gif

When will this soap opera end????

• 4 weeks later...

So as of right now it looks like Hart and Stolie can hold down the fort in goal.

For myself Stolie gets to audition for the backup spot for the rest of the year. Flyers don't have a back to back again till March 14th/15th.

So that leads me to my biggest question....what to do with Elliott and Neuvy when they are ready???

I think they can send them to the Phantoms for a max 14 days (not sure if there is a limit on the amount of games they can in those 14 days) and then once done with the rehab will they be able to activate them before they can try and trade them??

I mean IF they can even find a taker??

Or maybe the best case is to waive them...and if no one claims them they finish the year in the AHL.

Or do they just wait till the roster are set and there is no more waivers??

I guess fist things first is they have to get healthy before anything else.

I could see heading into 2019-20 with Hart/Stolie.

Hart isn't even 21 yet and Stolie turned 25 just last week. This is a good young tandem. Best i can remember the Flyers ever having.

Or if Stolie craps the bed in the time remaining then this offseason go pursue a vet to back Hart up.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So as of right now it looks like Hart and Stolie can hold down the fort in goal.

For myself Stolie gets to audition for the backup spot for the rest of the year. Flyers don't have a back to back again till March 14th/15th.

So that leads me to my biggest question....what to do with Elliott and Neuvy when they are ready???

I think they can send them to the Phantoms for a max 14 days (not sure if there is a limit on the amount of games they can in those 14 days) and then once done with the rehab will they be able to activate them before they can try and trade them??

I mean IF they can even find a taker??

Or maybe the best case is to waive them...and if no one claims them they finish the year in the AHL.

Or do they just wait till the roster are set and there is no more waivers??

I guess fist things first is they have to get healthy before anything else.

I could see heading into 2019-20 with Hart/Stolie.

Hart isn't even 21 yet and Stolie turned 25 just last week. This is a good young tandem. Best i can remember the Flyers ever having.

Or if Stolie craps the bed in the time remaining then this offseason go pursue a vet to back Hart up.

WIth Stolie, it's all about the injuries.  I've always had confidence in his ability if healthy. Hart #1 and Stolie #2 is the way I've been thinking about things for a year or two now.  Stolie's positioning and play tracking are too good and jibe with Hart's.  He might even pick up a few tricks playing along side Carter.  Still not sure what happened to him this year to knock him out of the lineup. It seemed they were being pretty tight lipped...  anyone ever hear?  

As to what to do with Neuvy and Elliott, the writing's pretty well on the wall for them.  Waiving them might be the best option for them as well.  Plenty of teams may take a swing at them to get an upgrade at backup G for the playoffs if it doesn't cost them anything, but might now be willing to trade an asset for them.   

Next season should see Sandstrom and maybe Ustimenko hitting the Phantoms.  There's a pretty decent chance Sandstrom could be a decent #2 in a tandem.  Ustimenko is looking pretty amazing right now.  We'll see how that translates to North America, but he could become an extremely valuable asset at some point in the not too distant future.  I'm not going to go all in and say that he's an NHL #1, but between Stolie, Sandstrom and Ustimenko, I believe there is likely a solid pairing with Hart to be had.  

Stolie, if he can stay healthy, is IMHO a great #2 for the next year or two at which point they can see where they are with everyone.  There should be great options.  

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Next season should see Sandstrom and maybe Ustimenko hitting the Phantoms.  There's a pretty decent chance Sandstrom could be a decent #2 in a tandem.  Ustimenko is looking pretty amazing right now.

Yeah and Ustimenko could be the backup plan once maybe Sandstrom gets claimed in the expansion draft.

I know he wasn't over here this year but his pro career has started counting down along with his entry level deal with the start of this year.

So i can't remember if he will be available to Seattle or not.

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah and Ustimenko could be the backup plan once maybe Sandstrom gets claimed in the expansion draft.

I know he wasn't over here this year but his pro career has started counting down along with his entry level deal with the start of this year.

So i can't remember if he will be available to Seattle or not.

That's a good point about Sandstrom and Seattle.  I can't remember if foreign pro leagues count, but knowing how much of a pain in the neck the NHL likes to be about this sort of thing, they probably do.  

I've been dreading the Seattle draft for a long time.  It's not a bright side, by any means, but if I'm Seattle, there's a good chance I'm looking at one of our D-Men instead of Sandstrom.  The Flyers won't be able to protect them all.  

21 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It's not a bright side, by any means, but if I'm Seattle, there's a good chance I'm looking at one of our D-Men instead of Sandstrom.

I am hoping with experience with this now they can make some moves ahead of time to make it where the Flyers don't give up a player they aren't prepared to lose.

I can't remember all the different ways you can protect guys but i know Giroux, Hart, and Provorov will be the big 3 who will be protected.

And we will have a better idea of where this kids are and how good they maybe by then to know better who and who not to protect.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am hoping with experience with this now they can make some moves ahead of time to make it where the Flyers don't give up a player they aren't prepared to lose.

I can't remember all the different ways you can protect guys but i know Giroux, Hart, and Provorov will be the big 3 who will be protected.

And we will have a better idea of where this kids are and how good they maybe by then to know better who and who not to protect.

If the rules remain the same, it should be the choice between 7 Fwds, 3 Dmen, 1G OR 8 skaters and 1G

Who knows what the team will look like at the end of next season, but if they go with 8 skaters, they can protect all the D key young Dmen (excluding Morin who could prove himself appealing in the draft by the end of next season) and you really just risk exposing  JVR, Jake, whoever they sign this off season, Lindblom or Laughton.  

Farabee is likely not a risk as I don't think he'll make the team next fall, but Frosty could be a problem and would likely need to be protected by 2021.

I don't have confidence in Fletcher making moves ahead of time to make it where the Flyers don't give up a player they aren't prepared to lose.  It was easy last time because they just didn't have so many guys they wanted to keep who were eligible.  Judging by the marching orders Homer and Scott have given him, he'll be loaded up with talent to be plucked by the time the draft comes around and it doesn't seem like strategic chess moves to minimize damage and protect assets are a major goal in the thinking going forward...  unless trading Weal for a 6th rounder counts (it doesn't).  

I absolutely do not want him making deals with Seattle because Vegas made a killing whenever another team traded them someone to "not draft" a guy.  

Anyway, long way off.  No sense in thinking too much on it now.  Under Hextall, when we all kinda knew what he was thinking for the team, we could theorize, but with things up in the air as they are, it's hard to say what the team will even look like next year let alone in two years.  

The only thing we do know is that they won't have to expose MacDonald because his damn contract will finally expire by then.

I wasn't aware Hart a Sherwood Park Alberta native was such good friends with Cam Talbot.

So I guess I would be more inclined to consider him to back Hart up if Stolie doesn't come through.

Hart is buddies with Edmonton netminder Cam Talbot and the team’s goalie coach, Dustin Schwartz. The native of Sherwood Park, Alberta, a 22-minute drive East of Edmonton, will start against the team he grew up watching Saturday as the Flyers try to extend their win streak to seven games.  

“Me and Cam worked throughout this past summer together,” Hart said. “He’s actually the guy that I called the night before my first game just to ask him a couple questions a little bit and get some knowledge from him. He’s been an elite goaltender in the NHL for a while so just to get his insight. He’s a guy who’s texted me every now and then throughout the season just to see how I’m doing and he’s a really good guy.”

On 1/30/2019 at 3:16 PM, King Knut said:

If the rules remain the same, it should be the choice between 7 Fwds, 3 Dmen, 1G OR 8 skaters and 1G

Who knows what the team will look like at the end of next season, but if they go with 8 skaters, they can protect all the D key young Dmen (excluding Morin who could prove himself appealing in the draft by the end of next season) and you really just risk exposing  JVR, Jake, whoever they sign this off season, Lindblom or Laughton.  

Farabee is likely not a risk as I don't think he'll make the team next fall, but Frosty could be a problem and would likely need to be protected by 2021.

I don't have confidence in Fletcher making moves ahead of time to make it where the Flyers don't give up a player they aren't prepared to lose.  It was easy last time because they just didn't have so many guys they wanted to keep who were eligible.  Judging by the marching orders Homer and Scott have given him, he'll be loaded up with talent to be plucked by the time the draft comes around and it doesn't seem like strategic chess moves to minimize damage and protect assets are a major goal in the thinking going forward...  unless trading Weal for a 6th rounder counts (it doesn't).  

I absolutely do not want him making deals with Seattle because Vegas made a killing whenever another team traded them someone to "not draft" a guy.  

Anyway, long way off.  No sense in thinking too much on it now.  Under Hextall, when we all kinda knew what he was thinking for the team, we could theorize, but with things up in the air as they are, it's hard to say what the team will even look like next year let alone in two years.  

The only thing we do know is that they won't have to expose MacDonald because his damn contract will finally expire by then.

Well, the good news is that the Flyers will only lose one player to the expansion draft. If you look at the 7 forwards who will be protected, it's a given that Giroux - Couturier - Konecny will be protected. Then you're looking at Patrick - Lindblom and Voracek. Frost will be protected, so will Farabee. So that leaves Laughton, JVR, NAK, Vorobyov, and possibly Rubtsov. So, I'm figuring they protect Rubtsov. 

As for the defense, Provorov and Gostisbehere will be protected. Then you're looking at Sanheim, Meyers, and Morin. More than likely it's Sanheim that gets protected, leaving the other two exposed.

Depending on who the GM is of the Seattle team, it's possible that the pick will come to down to either JVR or Meyers and they'll probably go with Meyers. It would suck losing the guy, but at the same time, there's so much that can happen between now and then.  I'm not worried because even though they might lose a guy like Meyer, there's also guys like Zamula, Hogberg, Friedman, St. Ivany, Wylie, Ginning, etc.....all in the system. 

We're going to be alright, I think.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So do you start Stolie next game and give Hart a rest or keep riding the hot hand??

Good question. Didnt Stolie pitch an SO vs the Rags his last start? I like the idea of rewarding that with another start. Plus, Hart can benefit from a night on the bench, being one of the guys on the bench sort of thing, give him some time to process all of the adulation and attention.

Ah, f@ck it, who am I kidding, ride the kid like a rented mule!

Archived