Flyers Goaltending Situation

Howie58

16 minutes ago, hf101 said:

This!   Fletcher is a fool to settle for Talbot.

Why is it even desired to have 2 goaltenders who are buddies on the same team?  They only need to be teammates not BFF.

:confused[1]:

He has to be trying to extract something else in this trade...has to be...

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Damn, done deal

The Edmonton Oilers have dealt goaltender Cam Talbot to the Philadelphia Flyers for netminder Anthony Stolarz, the clubsannounced Friday night.

Wow this is just mind boggling to make this deal.

Nothing else.

Makes no sense.

Interesting point though...

All they have to do though is sign him.  

On another note, once the Flyers play Talbot they will have the record with playing 8 goalies in one season.  :firstplace:

8 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Interesting point though...

All they have to do though is sign him.  

On another note, once the Flyers play Talbot they will have the record with playing 8 goalies in one season.  :firstplace:

Maybe that was what they were going for a record for the season.

Now what to do with Elliott who won tonight for the Phantoms 3-2.

Surely they can find a trade partner for him?

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like 5 games straight for Elliott tonight.

So for this question let's pretend they play well enough down the stretch to actually squeak into the playoffs Talbot does get some game in which he does look good in and Elliott plays the majority of the games also we'll pretend Hart doesn't come back this year.

They get in the playoffs lose the in the 1st round and yet they don't score enough goals and Elliott does put up decent numbers.

So who do they bring back?

Elliott or Talbot.

According to Eklund,  the Flyers had a deal in place to trade Elliot to Calgary.  Hart's injury nixed that deal.    Maybe we are lucky as we will get to give Talbot a tryout prior to making any decisions.

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

According to Eklund,  the Flyers had a deal in place to trade Elliot to Calgary.

Why would Calgary give up something for a guy they unceremoniously dumped two years ago? #Eklund

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

Maybe we are lucky as we will get to give Talbot a tryout prior to making any decisions.

From the looks of it, Elliott is going to make his third start in a row tonight, and Talbot hasn't played since February 9.

Heckuva way to try a guy out.

Why did they trade for Talbot? 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

So the Flyers traded for Talbot to evaluate him as a possible mentor/back up to Hart next season, then proceed to play him in just one game (so far).

Fletcher, “I’ve seen enough. How does 4 years at $5mil per sound Cam?”

5 minutes ago, Samifan said:

So the Flyers traded for Talbot to evaluate him as a possible mentor/back up to Hart next season, then proceed to play him in just one game (so far).

No doubt. Crazy move at this point.

Maybe they are evaluating his popcorn making skills.

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

My guess is they fell for the faulty logic of: Well maybe he's better than he seems, and the problem was Edmonton. Then they saw him play in practice and realized it wasn't just Edmonton. To the popcorn machine!

It's also entirely possible Fletch just did Edmonton a solid in the hopes of some future payoff. If that sounds like a bad idea, it's because it totally is.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think that acquiring Talbot was a favor to Edmonton. Edmonton had to get under the cap to fit Sekura coming off injured reserve. The Flyers have lots of cap space.  Also Elliot coming in and playing well right away keeping them close in the playoff race kind of changed their plans as well.

13 hours ago, Samifan said:

Given how well Elliott has played, I imagine their plans for Talbot this season have changed slightly.  Still, it's a bit messy having 3 goaltenders in the fold once Hart gets healthy.  Did they give any thought to starting Talbot last night?  Or maybe last Saturday against the Isles?

51 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

I think that acquiring Talbot was a favor to Edmonton.

Sure but in that favor you're suppose to get something in return.....and they didn't unless it was a secret handshake deal among gentlemen that will go down later...

I smell a one-year deal for Elliott.  He has issues. But he's a known entity who has earned his teammates' respect.  The Talbot deal makes less sense with every game he doesn't start.  The UFA market is unlikely to yield much and paying through the nose for a goalie hasn't done the Flyers any favors. I understand that Fletcher may think he's found another Dubnyk.   Maybe someone emerges in-house in a year or two as a complement to Hart.  Heck, it's the Flyers and goaltending...kind of an oxymoron. It tires me thinking about it.  And I started the thread...shame on me.

14 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I smell a one-year deal for Elliott.

I'll be pissed at Fletcher if that happens.  No offense to Elliott intended, but his injury history really gives me concern since I think a backup with need to start in the neighborhood of 25+ games next year.  Perhaps most bothersome, it would make the trade for Talbot absolutely pointless.

Maybe they aren't playing Talbot to sandbag him for contract negotiations?  Seems unlikely, though.

12 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I smell a one-year deal for Elliott. 

I think this has to be the case. You would think since Talbot is sitting right there they would want to put him in to see how he plays before making that call....however they are fighting for a playoff spot and must not feel confident in letting Talbot even play a game for them in fear that he won't play well.

All i know Hart was the back up the other day and the biggest game of the year up to this point vs the Caps is coming up and they must win it if they want to get closer to a playoff slot....so with that said i want Hart to play this upcoming game.

I am fearful of the back breakers that Elliott will let in vs the Caps that the Flyers want be able to recover from.

I feel Hart gives the the best chance to win the game....last time we saw Elliott vs. them it was 4-0 real quick...Flyers need all the help they can get.

1 minute ago, vis said:

I'll be pissed at Fletcher if that happens.  No offense to Elliott intended, but his injury history really gives me concern since I think a backup with need to start in the neighborhood of 25+ games next year.  Perhaps most bothersome, it would make the trade for Talbot absolutely pointless.

Vis:  I agree with everything you say. I thought Stolarz should have been given a chance to prove himself.  Talbot appears to be warming the bench.  But I don't know the progress of our goalie prospects, or if Fletcher pulls a rabbit out of the hat and finds an undiscovered gem.  Our experience with expensive UFA goaltending is not very good.  

2 minutes ago, vis said:

Maybe they aren't playing Talbot to sandbag him for contract negotiations?  Seems unlikely, though.

Maybe that is the case.

Could they also be playing Elliott because they might try and trade his rights at the draft or before free agency starts to try and get something for him???

What if they had some agreement to trade his rights to the Oilers maybe since the Oilers aren't playing Stolie his 16 games and he will become a unrestricted free agent too......just spitballing here to try and make some sense out of this crazy situation.

2 hours ago, vis said:

Given how well Elliott has played, I imagine their plans for Talbot this season have changed slightly.  Still, it's a bit messy having 3 goaltenders in the fold once Hart gets healthy.  Did they give any thought to starting Talbot last night?  Or maybe last Saturday against the Isles?

I think this is the most plausible explanation. They didn’t feel confident with two rookies in goal next year, and certainly didn’t seem to have much faith in Elliott being that guy beyond this year, so they went and got Talbot. 

Hart gets hurt hurt and hides his injury, Elliott plays way better than I think anyone expected, and during a crucial playoff push, Elliott has come through huge and has earned that right to see it through. So, Talbot is the odd man out.

That being said, I’m just as puzzled as most of you that Talbot didn’t even sniff the net in all those games. Surely Gordon considered how all these consecutive starts might affect a guy just returning from injury for the second time (or is it third?) this year. 

And surely, I thought, Talbot would start against the Sens given how Philly fans held their collective breath after Elliott appeared to tweak something in the Isles game.

But we be wrong. 

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Based on what we have for info, the most likely scenario seems to be Fletch did Edmonton a solid and isn’t really planning to keep Talbot around.

How would Carter Hart react to that?  Would be rather ****ed up for the Flyers to trade for his mentor/BFF solely to help another team out and then not sign him.  Can't believe they would be the plan.

Archived